Extend RAM to SDcard Apps

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has used these programs that allegedly give you more RAM by allocating space from your SD Card. Do these ACTUALLY work and if so how well?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has used these programs that allegedly give you more RAM by allocating space from your SD Card. Do these ACTUALLY work and if so how well?

They destroy performance. The thing about RAM is that it is incredibly fast compared to storage memory. A class 10 SD card has a maximum transfer rate of 10MB/s. RAM speeds are up around 10GB/s..... So your memory performance gets reduced pretty much 1000x by using an SD card for RAM.

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
They destroy performance. The thing about RAM is that it is incredibly fast compared to storage memory. A class 10 SD card has a maximum transfer rate of 10MB/s. RAM speeds are up around 10GB/s..... So your memory performance gets reduced pretty much 1000x by using an SD card for RAM.

Yeah that's roughly what I figured. Just wanted a second opinion. I know how RAM works on a comp, but didn't know if it was the same on a mobile device.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's roughly what I figured. Just wanted a second opinion. I know how RAM works on a comp, but didn't know if it was the same on a mobile device.

It's pretty much exactly the same, in terms of the speeds at which it can handle data. Android handles apps, memory and multitasking drastically different than a desktop OS like Windows 8, but the speed difference (RAM vs storage memory) is still there.

williambardley

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

According to my experience I left performance of my Android mobile phone increase,may be it didn't but it felt like to me
And According to the app developer the overall performance of the Android] mobile phone should increase...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't do this. There honestly is no need -- The RAM in the phone is fine. Android is also very good at managing the RAM usage on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12