Wifi issues persist

RogaDanar

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have been having wifi issues since my wife and I both received our S5 Actives through AT&T over a month ago. Both phones are setup the same, and everything is up to date. This issue has showed up with 3 different wifi's and is a consistent problem, occurring dozens of times per day, per phone. The wifi is shared among two smart TV's, an iPad, a Note 8.0, two laptops, and an iPhone 5s(never all at once). None of the other devices experience any issues with the wifi. Many times per day the wifi connection will drop, and I get the following message; "Ready to connect when network quality improves". Often this issue resolves itself in minutes or less, but it causes an interruption in most services.

Here is a screen shot;
ng1p2a.jpg

Even though we both have network smart switch enabled, we both get disconnected from online games that we play when this issue comes up and also have issues with data in general. Again, no other device has these issues and they are all on the same network. This has happened consistently with our own wifi, the wifi at my parents house, and a public wifi at our gym.

RogaDanar

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried restarting the router ?
I've reset the router in both houses many times, checked all settings in both phones and tried a few different things regarding settings, but nothing has changed this issue. We went over our data last month because of it and it is beyond frustrating. All three places that the phones do this have routers from different manufacturers; A new Cisco, new Motorola, and older linksys (the gym, I asked). What else can I look into?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
You could try downloading WIFI Analyzer for your phone . Run that to check the sig strength . You might try changing the channel on the wifi router . Just throwing out suggestions .

adic

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. Mine was when my s5 starts to download an app, or watches a video on youtube, the connection just drops completely with wifi still connected, but no data can go through. I have to turn off and on the wifi on my s5 to get the connection back.

Lots of time it just disconnects from the router and shows "ready to comnect when quality improves" and this again is resolved by turning off the wifi then on again.

Note: this happens on every single different router i have tried. So im sure its not a router problem.

Any tips? Thinking of going to the service center.

clsdv

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue its not my router it happens with just about any WiFi I connect to. Its become so annoying happening multiple times through out the day.

Posted via Android Central App

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any network analysis tools on your S5. If not you may want to install one and see what it tells you. The other trick is to run down to your local McDonald's as they seem to have a very strong and stable WiFi environment and see what your device does there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

jk086

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
This just started happening to my S5 today morning. I reset the router, and restarted my phone a few times. It's not the router, because I have internet on everything else (laptop, roku, tablets etc)
Anybody know a solution?

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
This just started happening to my S5 today morning. I reset the router, and restarted my phone a few times. It's not the router, because I have internet on everything else (laptop, roku, tablets etc)
Anybody know a solution?

From personal experience dealing with wifi and wifi problems of neighbors, friends, and other people, my first thought would be to look at the bandwidth your wireless router is utilizing.
Second would be to get a wifi analyzer and take a look at the number of wifi devices, and ensure they're not interfering with each other. This is typically the reason, especially if you're only getting wifi problems in one particular area, such as your home.

Of course if you know your way around your router's settings, you can permanently add your phone's Mac address to it so it will always have "preference".

It really isn't out of the norm for one or two devices to have issues on a specific wifi network. And though the problem can be the device itself, you can't rule out the router itself.

jk086

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Last night after my post I went to WiFi settings, "forget network"... then I reconnected to it entered WiFi password and so far that has fixed it. For now.
Thanks for the advice though.

R93LFC

May 21, 2014
Visit site
If problems still persist try this:

(Add to end of Android Forums URL)

/showthread.php?t=380531

Different issue but the settings in there may help

Posted via Android Central App

vicBd

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
You should be able to turn off smart network switching under wifi settings that will solve it.

Go to Setting/WiFi and turn off Smart Network Switch

Dr John T

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the "Smart Network Switch" feature is not at all smart!!!!! Turn this feature off and your will find you no longer get the misleading "Ready to connect when network quality improves" message. :mad:

My home network has powerful router offering 5G wireless with a 48Mbs internet connection and I still got the stupid "Ready to connect when network quality improves" message from my Samsung Galaxy 5S. I tried numerous remedies, but it was only turning off the "Smart Network Switch" feature which cured the problem.

To do this on your phone, go to Settings/WiFi and turn off Smart Network Switch.

gsslion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You tend to have a big list of wifi connections. tap on all unwanted connections, like airport, free wifi, etc. and forget those networks. I have been facing this issue for long. But after this... it works fine on my S5

Mimi H

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
This started happening to my Samsung 5 about 10 days ago....same message whether at work (one router) vs at home using a different router - the rest of the wifii hook up just fine - but not my phone. there is a glitch in the phone, something doesn't stop working after a year. I've contacted Samsung - they say reset the phone - my guess is I'll end up getting a new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital