The S5 is just about perfect: How I made it that way MacroDroid "to the rescue":

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The S5 is just about perfect: How I made it that way

MacroDroid "to the rescue":

Every phone I have owned and that has been a lot of them, all have had the same darn problem.

Turn it ON, or turn the thing OFF, and you set the Ringer Volume to minimum just about every time.

Why in the hell do all of the idiots who design these things put the volume and the Power Buttons on the opposite sides of the case? Need to Power On? Ya gotta squeeze against something on the opposite side, and the volume down button is the one I always hit.

Reading the forums, I happened to catch a single instance of a reference to MacroDroid.

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

I downloaded it and it took a while for me to get comfortable with it, but Lord of Mercy is that thing powerful!

I have no need what-so-ever to screw around with that POS garbage called TASKER. Uh, Tasker is okay providing you know how to program it, which I don't, and haven't got the time to screw with it.

I have avoided social apps like Facebook like the plague. They are the worst power monsters ever invented. I lost touch with some close friends and thought I would give FB a try. Well, on day 1 after installing it, it ran the S5's battery from 100% down to 45% in about 5 hours. That with me only checking in with it a few times. FB runs so much garbage back and forth it is constantly wanting to "call home to momma".

I have been trying to decide whether to just uninstall FB or figure out a way to live with it. That is where MacroDroid brightened up my life.

I created a few macros, all of them have the same exact Trigger Event. "Screen Off"

Screen OFF:

Set Ringer Volume MAX !!!

plus
1) kill Facebook
2) kill DATA
3) kill WiFi
4) kill BlueMail
5) kill xyz

By now you get the picture.

Now, when I am through with the phone, I just hit the Power Button and she goes to sleep, a Very Deep Sleep, which is exactly what I want. Why? Because now it just sips at the battery and can go for days until I next wake it up and turn ON the internet.

MacroDroid to the Rescue…. I'm going to buy the Paid version simply to show those folks how much I appreciate a Really Great App.

* MacroDroid - Device Automation - Android Apps on Google Play

Yup, the S5 is now a Perfect Phone. Fantastic Screen, lots of brightness so I can read it in open sunlight outdoors….. and MacroDroid has fine tuned it to Perfection….

teristark

May 27, 2014
Visit site
That looks very interesting. I'm going to give it a whirl. The power and volume buttons have always been a pet peeve of mine.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have owned the s3 and now have the s5. I have yet to change the volume turning it on or off

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm up and off at 0500 on work days and pick the phone up off the Qi Wireless charging pad.

Today, when I stopped at 10:30 for lunch, pulled out the S5 and looked at the battery percent. 98% !

Should have thought to make a screenshot..... played with the S5 on and off while munching the lunch goodies and ended up the work day with 73%.

each time I needed to quit and jump out of the truck, I just flicked the Power Button and all shut off like it should.

Long around 2 PM I decided to add one more macro to the list.

Screen Unlock:
1) Set Data to ON

Worked like a champ. The phone is awake and ready to go when I want it, and very silently asleep (and just sipping battery power) when I can't look at it anyway.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm assuming you installed this in lieu of Battery Doctor. In direct head to head comparison do you find it's significantly superior? Is it that it's simply "simpler" in that you can aggregate more functions to one button push (i.e. screen on/off)? Any other notable differences?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I've never had an issue with the volume before, so I am not quite sure what you are talking about, but Facebook is not a battery drainer, I use it on my phone all day long and my phone could go two days without charging. You might want to investigate further what's wrong with your phone. Macrodroid sounds like crap btw, utterly useless for most android users.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never had an issue with the volume before, so I am not quite sure what you are talking about, but Facebook is not a battery drainer, I use it on my phone all day long and my phone could go two days without charging. You might want to investigate further what's wrong with your phone. Macrodroid sounds like crap btw, utterly useless for most android users.

I don't think it sounds like crap but I agree that the features aren't particularly useful to me. I guess I could set the phone so that when the screen turns off, volume goes up but what if I'm in a meeting and I actually want to have my phone silent? Then I have to do the extra step of going into the app, shutting it off and then turning the volume off. I downloaded it to check it out but it just didn't really appeal to me. For everything I thought I'd want to do, I thought of another reason why I wouldn't want to do it.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
If I am in a meeting, I just put the phone in airplane mode, or I turn down the volume, or click the sound icon in the notification tray, or I leave the phone in my office....the last thing I do is install some dumb app

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
You're obsessed with battery usage :)

I'm thinking more like OCD. :p I don't do anything special on my phone and when I leave work I'm usually around 60 to70 % and that's with BT on all day and listening to Power Amp for about half of it . The screenies are from today .

Attachments

• 2014-07-23 23.18.49.jpg
    2014-07-23 23.18.49.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2014-07-23 23.18.25.jpg
    2014-07-23 23.18.25.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 56

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It works and it works well.

To each their own.

That is why there are thousands of opinions in the world, and of course the only opinion that is important, is the one that each of you have to yourself.

se la vie.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
It works and it works well.

To each their own.

That is why there are thousands of opinions in the world, and of course the only opinion that is important, is the one that each of you have to yourself.

se la vie.

So long as you are happy with your phone that is the important part .

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Unlike a lot of folks who have a good strong cell signal to work with, I live in a very rural part of the country and my job working on the county roads takes me down into the deep ravines where the signal just disappears. I am lucky to even get a 1x signal and a lot of times that does not exist.

Under those situations, the battery gets used up in a hurry because the phone keeps cranking up the transmit power trying to reach a cell site.

I have MacroDroid now configured to turn data ON when I unlock the phone to use it.

It has been a godsend to now have nearly all of the battery available for me to use when I need it. A typical day would see the battery down to around 40% by lunch time and with another 6 hours of work before I get home.... the battery would be nearly flat.

now, at lunch time, the battery is still holding 98% to as low as maybe 85% depending on how much I use the phone for intercom use between our tractor drivers and me.

A lot of threads need to be read in the context of the user's perspective. You just cannot make a judgement call that I am OCD about my battery use. Damn right I am and with very good reason. If I don't stop the thing from trying to communicate with Mars and the planet Pluto, it will be dead when I need it.

Now with MacroDroid, the battery is always strong right up until we get rid of our 10 hours of drudgery earning our keep. I finished up yesterday with 47% and headed home very happy with my new found battery saver app.

Battery Doctor served me well with manual control but was a PITA to use because of the manual requirement to use it. Now with the automation that MacroDroid gives, it is so darned neat to unlock the phone and watch the 4g indicator come to life within 2 seconds.

I can now surf as much as I want and will never use up a full battery. In fact, I could go for a couple of days between charges if need be. but a Qi wireless charger is just so neat and handy to use.... I get home, hit the recliner and plop the phone on the charger pad.... pick up the Kindle and read a few chapters and oops!!!! I wake up a few hours later like now at 3 AM to find out what is happening in the world.....

99.995% of the population has no idea what it takes to keep the highways safe for you to drive on. It is a lot of hot work and long hours. I enjoy it a lot though, I have been retired from a fire department for 4 years and the recliner life was getting very dull. Went back to work to "save my life" and it has been great.... Retired just ain't what it is cracked up to be. Active is much better.

The Qi charger is now a solid green light so the battery is back to 100%, ready for another day keeping you folks safe. Soil erosion eats up a lot of pavement and huge caverns across the highways is not a good thing.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
You must love it a lot then, because this sounds more like a paid advertisement than anything else.

you need to get a life then....

The only connection between me and MacroDroid's developers is I paid them for the premium version.

The earned it, it is an extremely well designed app.

You don't have to like it, lots of folks do and it works well.

JACathcart

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
When I first read the OP's initial post, I thought it was an ad as well, but I was intrigued enough to check it out.

I love this app.

Jon Jackson and WhiteiPadMini, I don't know why you feel the need to berate both the app and the OP, but you ought to put aside your vitriol for a few minutes and google "Macrodroid reviews". This is a powerful app that can do really cool things. If you try it and don't see the need to use it at all, you really aren't using your imagination.

I have created 7 macros that automate a lot of stuff I was doing manually. I've also created some unimportant but fun macros that make my phone elicit a "wow" from my friends and family members who have iPhones. For example, when I pull into my neighborhood, my phone says, "Welcome home sir. The time is (time) and your battery level is at (%)." Again, it's a dumb little thing that serves no real purpose, but it makes my phone more fun.

Stop the h8-ing gents and try it out. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't tried the app, because I find Tasker so easy to write tasks for, but for those who don't want to learn programming (it's not a "summer vacation" project - that's about long enough to learn how much you're going to have to learn), this app seems like the next best thing. And it's free.