My experience experimenting with ART vs Dalvik on (and) my new S5 (review)

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Caution: Maybe the longest wall of text in this forums history on something that could be summed up quite quickly. :D

I've been following the discussion between ART vs Dalvik and for some reason it kind of fascinates me. I decided to give ART a try on my S5 (Sprint, U.S) after hearing that it speeds things up.

I do love the S5 for its many great traits, but as always with Samsung, they close to, if not completely destroy the experience with their atrocious software, vomit inducing bloatware, and overall business practices. They're like the big dumb "meathead" (no offense, meatheads), packing on all the muscle that they can, while the substance within that it works to sap so much of that power's potential. Just terribly inefficient. I'm a stickler for efficient performance, hence I've disabled and turned off just about everything in the S5 that I don't need (that friggin' Samsung allows) sped up animation transitions, so it's a lot faster than "stock", but you can imagine my love/hate relationship with the device and those its creators.

The S5 IS fast and slick, but it should be MORE fast and slick. The home button lag (even with S Voice turned off), the Multitask button lag, overall Touchwizz lag, stuttery graphics/motions every now and then, just shouldn't exist on such a brutally powerful piece of software.

So I heard that "ART" fixes some of this:

The Good: Firstly, I'll say that I was EXTREMELY impressed by how slick, fluid and refined it felt, the touch, the swiping, graphic changes, everything at least "seemed" noticeably more fluid and quick/responsive. It felt as close to an iOS/Apple device in software optimization related refinement that Android, and especially Samsung has gotten. It's very exciting to know that Google is working so hard in in my opinion, "finally" making Android really "feel" refined. The Multitask button got WAY faster in response, almost as instantaneous as the HTC One (M8), yes it still had that classic Samsung lag, but much less so (you couldn't drink an entire glass of something while waiting for your open Apps to appear).

The bad: It's very unstable and crude with Samsung/Touchwizz. Some Apps and Widgets had distorted icons (or went black), which would work itself out after I deleted then re-put them up on the home screen. The phone seemed to run hotter than usual, which makes sense as it was probably facing glitches constantly. Thus, battery drainage "seemed" to increase, which again makes sense as something that's so at odds with the phones software/skin would sap resources. Though I don't know if it would have "settled" down and gotten more stable and smooth if I kept it on for more days (only had it on for one day).

Polaris Office didn't work (I downloaded Google Office while I had it on). The phone took a long time and got extremely hot as it switched to ART mode (much less so to switch back). The memory got taken up a lot more (if you don't have an SD Card, beware). Private Mode didn't work (one of many reasons I switched back).

What got me to switch back, though, was when I was charging it, it didn't seem to recognize the USB charger for a little while. Then when it did, I used my phone to make a call, and minutes into it, it died. I've never had that happen as the charger always provides enough charge to let me use the phone at will even with 0% battery. For the record, part of this MAY have had to do with the cable not being firmly set into the wall charger, but the long recognition was at least definite.

Another thing that got me to switch back was how my phone app got super glitchy and was going crazy during my call (sensors somehow came on and it kept opening and closing). However, after switching back to Dalvik, I was getting those issues now with that! Which brings me to another issue: Some issues that ART introduced did sort of carry over into Dalvik. Such as that AND my system always having a "Software Update" icon on the upper left hand corner when I reboot the device (which never happened before switching to ART).

Another thing to mention is that although Apps launch faster with Art, they LOAD considerably slower, an issue many report. So you'll see it boot up very quick, but you'll wait longer than usual as it loads itself up.

Even the Android System seemed to continue to drain disproportionate (vs before) battery after switching back to Dalvik for a little while (settled itself out after a few charges), since ART started causing that problem as well.

Also, Touchwizz "failed" once, as did some other random processes, which surely had to do with what I at least believe seemed to be increased battery drainage.

.... WOW, that's a long story! Hopefully this adds some insight to anyone who's considering the switch, but afraid of the horror stories. Mine isn't nearly as bad (or good) as some stories that have bricked, etc. phones, but I will say that after experiencing it, I long to have it active on my phone again.... my experience has suffered since I now "know" how much smoother ART feels in the touch and responsiveness dept. Though it's just too flawed and quirky/clunky otherwise to try it again. I've heard people say that portions of the Camera app have crashed on them, therefore pictures didn't look as good, just not worth it yet, but can't wait until it's officially released.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
With Android L, that release should be soon. I am excited for the launch of L with the standard being ART.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello, my phone is a Google Nexus 5, stock no root, running android 4.4.4 KitKat at AT&T. Art run flawless on my Nexus. Android L 5.0 will be out soon and Art will be the only option for Google Nexus phones, no more Dalvik. When android L 5.0 became available to your phone, after Samsung approval and your mobile services carrier approval, give Art another try. Good luck, have a nice day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Good post, Starpower. Yeah long but interesting! Sorry to hear you had to switch your Sammy back to Dalvik but as other posters have pointed out it will only be a few more months before the final release of ART, when Android L (for Later on, I think) arrives.

For the record, I don't have any problems at all with ART on my Nexus 5 running 4.4.3 (no 4.4.4 update for Aussies, it seems).

Starpower11

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You sound like someone that should use Nova or Apex, I don't have any lag or any of the issues you have.

I did try them, and loved how smooth and fast they were. For the record, Touchwizz is less horrible then it was before, but definitely especially while on Dalvik, still lacking in overall fluidity and refinement (and still horrible, namely how weighted down and full of junk it is, sapping the phone's capabilities). The only reason I went back to Touchwizz is because some of the Widgets I depend on (mostly the calendar daily preview one, a must, and I also actually do like one piece of Samsung sourced software: The weather widget, shockingly), and because even though Nova/Apex will fix the relative crudeness of the launcher, the rest of the phone (settings, apps, etc.) still is dominated by the Touchwizz/Dalvik feel.

Hello, my phone is a Google Nexus 5, stock no root, running android 4.4.4 KitKat at AT&T. Art run flawless on my Nexus. Android L 5.0 will be out soon and Art will be the only option for Google Nexus phones, no more Dalvik. When android L 5.0 became available to your phone, after Samsung approval and your mobile services carrier approval, give Art another try. Good luck, have a nice day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, I can't wait until ART is approved and used for future Androids. I'd switch back right now if it wasn't in Beta.

Good post, Starpower. Yeah long but interesting! Sorry to hear you had to switch your Sammy back to Dalvik but as other posters have pointed out it will only be a few more months before the final release of ART, when Android L (for Later on, I think) arrives.

For the record, I don't have any problems at all with ART on my Nexus 5 running 4.4.3 (no 4.4.4 update for Aussies, it seems).

Thanks! Yeah you guys are fortunate in that regard in that the Nexus 5 seems much better mated for ART currently. Samsung seems to be one of the worst mated (of course, the discontent between Samsung and Android can't be any more clear, and Samsung will likely continue to be the last to support future Android measures, therefore causing them to keep lagging behind Google's latest iterations and improvements, etc). I really can't stand Samsung as a company, their ego's, mess of a business model. It's too bad because they have some of the most capable engineers and resources, but it's like their marketing and various other departments keep screwing things up.

When I first got my GS5 (after my terrible GS3) I was so surprised and happy at how slick it felt. Then when I tried ART, and felt how slick THAT was, my GS5 now feels "Touchwizzy" again to me, lol. Ignorance is bliss I suppose, I kind of wish I hadn't gotten a taste of ART's capabilities.

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the ATT Galaxy S5 and the ART works with absolutely no problems. It is flawless. I don't know why you had so many problems.
I activated the ART four days ago. All my apps are compatible and it is superfast.
Do you have the latest Samsung Software?

Touchwiz was never an issue in my phone either.

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Can you still get updates on ART , Even though it says custom?

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

Where does it say custom? You should still be able too. I would need to wait for Samsung to release an update.
Apps keep getting updated normally.

Posted via the Android Central App

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
It use to say that when i restart the phone before Att had the last update, but i just tried it now and its don't say it anymore. ..it feels warm the phone after switching does yours?

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It use to say that when i restart the phone before Att had the last update, but i just tried it now and its don't say it anymore. ..it feels warm the phone after switching does yours?

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

It might be warmed for a few minutes because the processor was full speed converting to art. It should be normal after that. Some apps might take longer opening the first time in art. Let me know if you find any in compatibles. I haven't found any.

Posted via Android Central App

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I ran my new Lg Volt on ART runtime for 2 days. Ran smooth and fast.
The only negatives are any apps you download will take longer to download, and they will take up approx. 10 percent more space.
It did seem to use less ram, and I believe cpu usage should be less.

The only issue I had was with Hungry Shark Evo.
So I switched back for now.

djeaux

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I've run ART on my Nexus 7 (2013) for over a year. I ran it on my S3 for over a year. It seemed faster and smoother than Dalvik. I use Nova instead of TouchWiz. I have not switched to ART on my new S5, but frankly I'm staying pretty conservative until the 14 day return period on the new phone is up. The S5 is probably the most unexciting handheld device I have bought in the past 15 years. :( The phrase "nothing to see here, move a long" keeps popping into my mind as I use this phone. And I don't think ART is going to cure that.

mgfjd12

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've run ART on my Nexus 7 (2013) for over a year. I ran it on my S3 for over a year. It seemed faster and smoother than Dalvik. I use Nova instead of TouchWiz. I have not switched to ART on my new S5, but frankly I'm staying pretty conservative until the 14 day return period on the new phone is up. The S5 is probably the most unexciting handheld device I have bought in the past 15 years. :( The phrase "nothing to see here, move a long" keeps popping into my mind as I use this phone. And I don't think ART is going to cure that.

I think we can agree to disagree. The battery and the screen brightness alone makes this device far superior than the S4 for my personal use. I haven't experimented any of the lags with Dalvik or ART. The phone just works. I can even connect my heart and cadence sensors to the phone now.

Private mode is the only function I have found not working in ART I have a wife so I can't use that anyway. Maybe in the future when I have kids.

gotohealth

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I've found out the secret to optimum Galaxy s5 speed. If you root your phone, install greenify and titanium backup, then disable Touchwiz launcher and keyboard, your phone is almost nexus like. Also, installing ART helps out even more. Give it a try and see how it works for you!