Can't answer incoming calls...

djrobinn

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys...

Weird problem that I haven't heard of anyone else having with an S5. I did see a similar post but the other guy's phone was a Nexus 5.

1 or 2 out of 10 incoming calls, I am UNABLE to answer, the swiping right action just doesn't seem to work, the phone stops ringing but the screen keeps displaying the answer/ reject screen, like the one in the middle below:
answer+and+end+calls+in+Galaxy+S4.png

I have even chosen to use the HOME button to answer incoming calls (the picture on the left above) but it doesn't work either... (I can't answer by swiping or hitting the home key).

I bought the phone right on launch date (April 11), the problem must've happened during the first week of me owning it but I was stupid and didn't report the issue to my carrier at that time. Now, 4 months later, I need to bring it in to the carrier, who will likely give me a ****ty loaner phone (not even sure if it will be a smartphone), while they send it in for warranty/ service. I will likely then be stuck with a refurbished phone that Samsung will send back in case they are unable to resolve the issues...

What a bummer. Anyone experience this at all? TIA

Model Number: SM-G900W8
Android Version: 4.4.2
Baseband Version: G900W8VLU1ANF3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-1947824
dpi@SWDD6012 #1
Mon Jun 16 11:53:24 KST 2014
Build Number: KOT49H.G900W8VLU1ANF3

darlene24

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys...

Weird problem that I haven't heard of anyone else having with an S5. I did see a similar post but the other guy's phone was a Nexus 5.

1 or 2 out of 10 incoming calls, I am UNABLE to answer, the swiping right action just doesn't seem to work, the phone stops ringing but the screen keeps displaying the answer/ reject screen, like the one in the middle below:
View attachment 129225

I have even chosen to use the HOME button to answer incoming calls (the picture on the left above) but it doesn't work either... (I can't answer by swiping or hitting the home key).

I bought the phone right on launch date (April 11), the problem must've happened during the first week of me owning it but I was stupid and didn't report the issue to my carrier at that time. Now, 4 months later, I need to bring it in to the carrier, who will likely give me a ****ty loaner phone (not even sure if it will be a smartphone), while they send it in for warranty/ service. I will likely then be stuck with a refurbished phone that Samsung will send back in case they are unable to resolve the issues...

dpi@SWDD6012 #1

try to off your phone or restart, and about the network or signal..

BigBhaloo

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem, (so I'm glad I'm not alone here) on my Galaxy S5 (model SM-G900F)
I'm on the EE network
Android Version 4.4.2

It drives me crazy, so I'd love to know if I need to take the phone back or whether it is a network provider issue.

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem, (so I'm glad I'm not alone here) on my Galaxy S5 (model SM-G900F)
I'm on the EE network
Android Version 4.4.2

It drives me crazy, so I'd love to know if I need to take the phone back or whether it is a network provider issue.

Did you root your phone I bet yes

Posted via the Android Central App

djrobinn

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Nope... my phone wasn't rooted...

End of the day, I called my provider (Rogers), had them do an 'advance exchange' for me, where they sent me a replacement (albeit refurb) device, I ported everything over, used that for a few days and did not experience the inability to answer any calls whatsoever. I asked everyone who normally texts me to call me instead just to increase the odds of a failure....

Anyway, all is well now, except of course, I'm stuck with a refurb phone... which they say is as good as new but I know its not my device :-(

nine9six9

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the EE network
Android Version 4.4.2

I see that the original poster had to replace his phone. Did you have to replace yours as well? If not, how did you fix it?

TitoRoE

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My Moms phone was doing this...rebooting/restarting the phone didn't fix it...had to turn on "Single tap mode" in Accessibility so she could answer calls...

djrobinn

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
2 full months with the replaced phone, that issue never happened... guess there are some lemons floating around... Everyone still has warranty until April 2015 so if this is happening, don't wait, have it replaced! Just my .02.

Larry Daignault

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I feel your pain. I have an s5 on the T-Mobile network. I received a refurbished model a couple months ago and now it is doing the same thing again. Went to the T-Mobile store and the tech tried everything he could and just scratched his head with no solutions-again! They just sent me another phone so this will be the 3rd one! If it happens again I will be getting rid if the s5.

Last edited:

IsilZha

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Alright, I had the exact same issue on my GS5 - could only answer maybe 1/15 calls. Same behavior as the thread starter - any answer method, from swipe, to single tap, to bluetooth, and the phone would stop ringing, but otherwise sit at the incoming call screen until it went to voicemail or the other side ended it. This happened immediately after I ran the latest Tmobile update, and in another thread someone posted the actual solution:

Disable "Use VoLTE where possible" in the call options. It was in one of the recent updates and apparently it's a pile of garbage that causes picking up calls to fail completely. I had done everything including a full factory reset to no avail... simply disabling this stupid new feature completely resolved the problem. Hopefully you guys still having it will see this so you can be rid of it yourselves. ;)

hinachow

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Alright, I had the exact same issue on my GS5 - could only answer maybe 1/15 calls. Same behavior as the thread starter - any answer method, from swipe, to single tap, to bluetooth, and the phone would stop ringing, but otherwise sit at the incoming call screen until it went to voicemail or the other side ended it. This happened immediately after I ran the latest Tmobile update, and in another thread someone posted the actual solution:

Disable "Use VoLTE where possible" in the call options. It was in one of the recent updates and apparently it's a pile of garbage that causes picking up calls to fail completely. I had done everything including a full factory reset to no avail... simply disabling this stupid new feature completely resolved the problem. Hopefully you guys still having it will see this so you can be rid of it yourselves. ;)

After 3 weeks of not answer the phone and doing a factory reset to no avail it was disabling the VoLTE!

Yes yes yes! T mobile has no VoLTE capabilities. Just had thus done yesterday and now I can answer calls! Tried everything!

Last edited by a moderator:

johnfleff

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
I also had the same problem with my phone I received yesterday. I solve the problem ("After" READING THE ABOVE SOLUTIONS) by going to settings/Blocking Mode/then I turned it Blocking Mode "ON" then I set the time set to be off FROM: 3:00am To: 3:01am, then I turned the Blocking Mode to "OFF" (this way your phone is private or OFF only one minute of the day at the very most and in the middle of the night when no one calls anyhow. Works for me!!!!

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank You SO VERY MUCH!!!!!! I am so happy!!I followed your advice, and turned off tge "Use VoLTE " feature under application, then clicked "Call" setting.I haven't been able to answer my incoming calls since The Lollipop update.So,thanks again.☺!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tvonull

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
See these arrows to the right of your answering icon? They indicade that you are supposed to touch and swipe the icon to the middle, to answer the phone. Push it, drag it to the right and your green icon turns to a single red one. You have answed. To stop end th call you just tap the red Icon.
In your settings you can also choose to answer by hitting your home button.

jamalily

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Where is the "call" option. I can't find it in 'settings' and nothing says VoLite? I am on verizon & this just started last week.

Last edited:

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
See these arrows to the right of your answering icon? They indicade that you are supposed to touch and swipe the icon to the middle, to answer the phone. Push it, drag it to the right and your green icon turns to a single red one. You have answed. To stop end th call you just tap the red Icon.
In your settings you can also choose to answer by hitting your home button.
Congrats responding to a 2 year old thread and assuming the person asking is a blithering fool.

I have had this problem too on my Samsung Galaxy S5 owned and controlled by AT&T. I am swiping left to right over and over, trying fast swipe, slow swipe, yet the phone is clearly too busy running some background tasks or spying on me or some other BS and cannot actually answer the call. I have to call the person back.

Treez1911

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I also had the same problem with my phone I received yesterday. I solve the problem ("After" READING THE ABOVE SOLUTIONS) by going to settings/Blocking Mode/then I turned it Blocking Mode "ON" then I set the time set to be off FROM: 3:00am To: 3:01am, then I turned the Blocking Mode to "OFF" (this way your phone is private or OFF only one minute of the day at the very most and in the middle of the night when no one calls anyhow. Works for me!!!!

Tried this method,,,,no joy,,,,there was another solution to disable VoLTE,can't even find "VoLTE on my phone,still can't make or receive calls,help please only had the phone one day and this is doing my head in

Proudgranny10

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys...

View attachment 129225

dpi@SWDD6012 #1

I can't answer my phone when it rings

Trending Posts

Forum statistics