Not Good For the Consumer

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Personally I do not see a thing wrong with how they are going to implement it.

They stated that when the cell site bandwidth is fully used, that they will throttle back the Unlimited Data customers who are exceeding what a normal person would consider "normal use". This is to protect other customers who do not flagrantly try and use 4g as an unlimited "at home type cable connection". To me, this is only fair.

Why should I be denied watching a newscast video because some clod is downloading a 5 or 100 gB file to his PC thru a tether connection?

I rarely exceed 2.5 gB per month and I do a lot of surfing and a fair share bit of video watching.

I am a Verizon customer and I received a letter from VZW alerting us to protecting "my services" by limiting the flagrant violators of common sense. I said "hooray"...

If you are one who uses your 4g connection to use your PC, get a life. I don't care if you loose your wide open bandwidth when the cell sites get loaded up. I do care if I can't see Channel 6 news videos.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If it means better speeds for normal users, it's actually good news for myself and most other Verizon consumers. There is no inalienable right to unlimited data; I'm fine with vzw reigning in those who arguably abuse their plans if it can improve things for everyone else.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I said a good while ago unlimited data was on it's way out - it was just a matter of time. The carriers want to squeeze as much money out of consumers as they can.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I said a good while ago unlimited data was on it's way out - it was just a matter of time. The carriers want to squeeze as much money out of consumers as they can.

Unlimited data has been on the way out for years, now it's just a race to snatch it away from all the grandfathered customers.

As someone on Verizon with unlimited data, I too see this as a positive. A couple days ago I saw someone on here bragging about using 1TB per month, which can greatly hog bandwidth so this new rule is making it fair for everyone else.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Although I don't use huge amounts of data myself, I'm continually floored when I hear customers cheering for strong armed company policies that specifically try to limit how much data the average customer uses. Sad. You're selling your future technology option S down the river.

Carriers have done everything they can to limit e amount of data the average customer uses, then they point at those low numbers and claim that is what the "average person" uses. No, that is what the average person that has been conditioned to fear using too much data uses.

As for this most recent policy, it will be interesting to see how liberal they are with the notion "congested networks." If they will truly only throttle high data users *in overloaded areas* or if they will start to throttle anyone that has been pulling sustained data for an extended period of time (like somebody that starts streaming a second show on netflix in one night.)