12-07-2016 10:28 PM
35 12
tools
    Please help. I have a Nexus 6 smartphone. I have quite a few apps that I down load from Google Play, including games.
    I have picked up a virus on my phone. I have factory reset 3 times and it is still there. I do not know where it is sitting or what it is called.
    When I have my sound on (not on vibrate or silent mode) it makes a "boing" noise randomly at any time, even when I am on a phone call.
    Can anyone suggest how to get rid of this please?
    08-28-2015 03:14 AM
    Please help. I have a Nexus 6 smartphone. I have quite a few apps that I down load from Google Play, including games.
    I have picked up a virus on my phone. I have factory reset 3 times and it is still there. I do not know where it is sitting or what it is called.
    When I have my sound on (not on vibrate or silent mode) it makes a "boing" noise randomly at any time, even when I am on a phone call.
    Can anyone suggest how to get rid of this please?
    Hello and welcome to Android Central Kerry Laurie!

I suspect that it may not be a virus but possibly an app notification. Try running your phone in Safe Mode, as per #1.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, for a few hours and see if it happens again.
    08-28-2015 04:25 AM
    Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I have done what you suggested, however none of the apps that are showing look dodgy to me. Not that I'm an expert.
    Since I have enabled safe mode that noise has not sounded once.
    08-28-2015 07:56 AM
    Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I have done what you suggested, however none of the apps that are showing look dodgy to me. Not that I'm an expert.
    Since I have enabled safe mode that noise has not sounded once.
    That would indicate that your problem beep is with one of your user installed apps and/or settings. It is just down to a process of elimination for you to discover which of your apps or settings is causing the problem.
    Tritonemusic likes this.
    08-28-2015 08:06 AM
    We have this same thing happening on our Note 3 phones. I do not use chrome and in fact have it turned off. I cleared the defaults for the browsers and I now use CM Security to open any web page and click just once. If I go on the internet I use firefox. I still get the "notice" that something wants to open in the play store but I just click off it. My spouse saw where one of his pop ups was coming from and it is ad-x-co.uk. It shows that in his history after the play store opens to some stupid game.
    We have not downloaded any new apps in months but after the lollipop update this started happening. We are on Sprint but a friend on AT&T with a Note 3 gets the same stupid pop ups for a game, Uber or Lyft. I read it could come from a website we visit such as ebay or news sites. I don't think factory reset will fix it if we have no idea where we got it from to start with. If it was caused by ebay and we go back there, will it just not happen again? I have scanned with CM Security and it shows nothing. I downloaded the malware bytes to scan and it showed nothing, I took that out after the scan.
    09-23-2015 02:31 PM
    We have this same thing happening on our Note 3 phones. I do not use chrome and in fact have it turned off. I cleared the defaults for the browsers and I now use CM Security to open any web page and click just once. If I go on the internet I use firefox. I still get the "notice" that something wants to open in the play store but I just click off it. My spouse saw where one of his pop ups was coming from and it is ad-x-co.uk. It shows that in his history after the play store opens to some stupid game.
    We have not downloaded any new apps in months but after the lollipop update this started happening. We are on Sprint but a friend on AT&T with a Note 3 gets the same stupid pop ups for a game, Uber or Lyft. I read it could come from a website we visit such as ebay or news sites. I don't think factory reset will fix it if we have no idea where we got it from to start with. If it was caused by ebay and we go back there, will it just not happen again? I have scanned with CM Security and it shows nothing. I downloaded the malware bytes to scan and it showed nothing, I took that out after the scan.
    Did you figure it out I'm having the same exact problem
    09-23-2015 02:33 PM
    I have a note 3 from tmobile
    09-23-2015 02:33 PM
    All Android viruses are delivered via apps installed on your device, so if your phone or tablet doesn't already have a virus, the best way to avoid it getting one is to never install software outside of the Google Play app store.
    09-24-2015 03:12 AM
    All Android viruses are delivered via apps installed on your device, so if your phone or tablet doesn't already have a virus, the best way to avoid it getting one is to never install software outside of the Google Play app store.
    Not always. See... The 'Stagefright' exploit: What you need to know for example.
    09-24-2015 03:21 AM
    I'm having the same problem. It started yesterday. I was using the phone fine all day. I put it down for about an hour maybe, and next time I picked it up, and unlocked it, as soon as I unlocked it, a pop up from the Internet app, came up. I closed it, didn't think anything of it. Next time I locked, and unlocked my phone, it happened again, another pop up after I unlocked my phone. Now I have pop ups randomly coming up while I'm using my phone. It's a different pop up everytime. I haven't downloaded any new apps that could have caused this. The only thing I could think of, is that I wanted to charge my phone but didn't have my outlet charger, so I charged my phone thru USB port on my computer. And after that it seemed like this started. Besides reseting my phone is there anything we can do?? I have a Note 5 with Verizon.
    12-07-2016 10:28 PM
35 12