Can I make texts vibrate without having them vibrate when sound is on?

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
As the title says, can I have texts vibrate when I receive them but have only sound when NOT in the vibrate mode?

If you go into sounds and go under messages you can hit the check mark to make them vibrate but then in normal sound mode it makes them vibrate still.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually that setting is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. Unfortunately, it is exactly the opposite of what you want it to do.

If you turn that option off, your text messages should play the notification sound but not vibrate when in Normal mode, and since Vibrate mode is set to that, all notifications will vibrate no matter what.

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Actually that setting is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. Unfortunately, it is exactly the opposite of what you want it to do.

If you turn that option off, your text messages should play the notification sound but not vibrate when in Normal mode, and since Vibrate mode is set to that, all notifications will vibrate no matter what.

So in other words, it can't be done?

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Just make it to none notification

Posted via Android Central App

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the question?

It seems like if want a text to vibrate, it has to vibrate when in sound mode as well. I'd like only sound in sound and only vibrate in vibrate.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how this is relevant to the question?

It seems like if want a text to vibrate, it has to vibrate when in sound mode as well. I'd like only sound in sound and only vibrate in vibrate.

I'm trying to understand your question correctly... you want your messages to vibrate instead of playing the designated ringtone for messages?

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
When phone is set to vibrate I want texts to vibrate but have no sound. To do that I go into the sound profile section ans go down to messages and select the vibrate option. However, when using the sound profile I do not want texts to vibrate, I only want the ringer. But it appears that when you select vibrate for messages it affects both profiles.

I'm short, for sound I just want a beep for text and no vibration. And when in vibrate I want texts to vibrate and not make sound.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
When phone is set to vibrate I want texts to vibrate but have no sound. To do that I go into the sound profile section ans go down to messages and select the vibrate option. However, when using the sound profile I do not want texts to vibrate, I only want the ringer. But it appears that when you select vibrate for messages it affects both profiles.

I'm short, for sound I just want a beep for text and no vibration. And when in vibrate I want texts to vibrate and not make sound.

Ok. Got it. Let me see...

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Try going to your messages, menu, under notification settings check make sounds, uncheck vibrate. Under select ringtone, select beep once. Now when your sound is on it should beep once, and when your sound is set to vibrate, it should vibrate.

ShaneN.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
If I check vibrate under SMS it vibrates for both sound and vibrate on SMS. If I uncheck it, it doesn't vibrate for both sound and vibrate.

Which brings me back to my original question...

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
If I check vibrate under SMS it vibrates for both sound and vibrate on SMS. If I uncheck it, it doesn't vibrate for both sound and vibrate.

Which brings me back to my original question...

Sorry that's all I have. Maybe someone else can chime in to help you to figure this out.