voicemail notification

Neal90

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi wondering if someone can help. Am new to android and am trying to find how to turn on voicemail notification. I thought ì had found all the notifications but obviously not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open the Dialer app, tap Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Voicemail, and make sure the Sound is set to the tone you'd like.

Neal90

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I had done that. Ì have the default tone and vibrate. But I didn't get any notification? Not sure what I am missing ??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the voicemail actually set up? In Dialer, tap Menu/Settings/Call Settings/Voicemail/Setup, and make sure the correct number is there.

Neal90

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yep the number is setup it is the right number. I can retrieve voicemails when I call directly. But I don't know if I have one without calling. Under settings it has the correct number.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-30-17-53-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-30-17-53-30.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 54

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's weird. Do you even get a Missed Call notification in the Notification Bar? Have you talked to your wireless provider about this yet?

jasperandelly

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I am going thru this now, no one can understand what the problem is just like here. When the screen is off and someone has left you a voicemail the only way you can tell is by looking for a blue LED light that cycles on about every 5 seconds, it's in the upper left of the phone above the screen. When the screen is turned on your lock screen may say you have missed a call but it will say nothing about a voicemail. At the very top of the screen when the screen is on or in lock screen there is the notification bar, little tiny icons about 1mm tell you different things like battery strength, wifi, etc... there is one like an envelope that will appear in the far left, this tells you there is a voicemail, WTF? I know. There are apps that will hang a pop up banner on your screen even when it's off (just like an iphone) but they won't tell you there is a voicemail. You can pull down this notification bar and it will say you have a voicemail but there is nothing I can find for when screen is off. There are apps that takes charge of the LED light so you can make the flash different colors more rapidly etc... for different notifications but not for voicemail. I'm ready to chuck this thing against a brick wall.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why your phone is doing that. When I get a voicemail, I get a little cassette tape-like icon in my notification bar. Since it's the wireless service's voicemail system that should be prompting the phone to display the voicemail notification, I would wonder if there is an issue with your wireless service, rather than the phone itself.

jasperandelly

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Not sure why your phone is doing that. When I get a voicemail, I get a little cassette tape-like icon in my notification bar. Since it's the wireless service's voicemail system that should be prompting the phone to display the voicemail notification, I would wonder if there is an issue with your wireless service, rather than the phone itself.

The phone is doing what it is supposed to do, it makes that little cassette icon (or whatever it is, it's so tiny I can barely see it) but you cannot see the icon when the screen is off, the slowly flashing LED is the only notification when the screen is off. Perhaps a different voicemail service would give a pop up banner on the off screen the way an iphone will but who knows, I doubt it. I searched this topic on google and there are a lot of pissed off people saying things like "my boss is yelling at me, I had 20 voicemails I didn't know about" which is exactly what happened to me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see. This is pretty much how Android addresses that issue. I notice when my LED is blinking, because I routinely clear my notifications when I'm done with them, which also stops the LED. I also turn off notifications from frivolous apps like Facebook, because I don't need to know when someone Liked my post. So when I see my LED blinking again, I know there's something important to check. And since I routinely clear my notifications, it's very noticeable when a new notification pops up.

It may not be what you're used to if you came from a different platform, but getting used to a new system will always be the case when you change platforms. There are a number of apps available on Google Play that can make the lockscreen look more like iOS, if that's helpful, so that missed calls or voicemail notifications are plastered prominently on the screen.

jasperandelly

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I cannot find any app that will give a voicemail notification on the off screen. It does not exist to the best of my knowledge. Do you know of one? When I walk into the room after being away for an hour and my phone is sitting on a table I want to be able to just glance at it and visually see if someone has called me and left a voice mail for me on this phone which has the screen off. The screen is off because it will only stay on for 10 minutes max. The iphone will do this but i cannot get my Samsung S5 to do it.

jasperandelly

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK I put that on the phone but I really don't understand what it does.

What it should do, is if it acts like the Moto X, is when you get a notification, a section of the screen will light up. If your settings are proper, they should reoccur after a set period of time.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

jasperandelly

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I don't know what a moto x looks like, I have only seen my wife's iphone give the notification on the off screen. This is insanity, I have wasted several whole days on this and still miss voicemails

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're asking for an ability to show notifications directly on the screen when the phone is asleep, you would have been better off getting a Moto X, since that is a native function of its interface. If you try to do that on other phones, you'd probably have very high battery drain, as the phone would be keeping the screen on for much longer than it's designed.

That being said, you could try DynamicNotifications, which lights up your screen when certain notifications come in. You could also try an app like Easy Reminder, which can be set to give you repeated alerts for missed notifications.

jasperandelly

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Well that dynamic reminder could work but once again it doesn't do anything for voicemails, neither does the other one. Crazy. I cannot understand this. The voice thing I put on there seems to work best so far, only problem is it keeps announcing you have a voicemail until you go to voicemail and listen to it, cannot just dismiss it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar