S5 SD card issues***

greddycivic7

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a brand new Galaxy S5, and I am having issues with saving movies I download, onto the SD card. The sd card is a brand new, Samsung 64GB class 10, so I know the actual card is not the problem. Sometimes I can move or copy the movie from the phones internal space, to the sd card and the movie will play as normal. Then, other times, I will do the exact same thing and once the movie has moved over to the SD card, I get a " Sorry the video can't be played" message. I have tried using the move feature and the copy feature, and can't get a way to have it work all the time. I do not want to root the phone, and I know there are some sd card issues since the new version of KitKat came out. But I am confused why sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't allow the mp4 files to store on my SD card and be played. I have tried using my computer, formatting the sd card, using 3rd party apps to move the files. Can someone give me any insight or a way to make this work? Thanks

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
If you just got the Galaxy, you couldn't root it if you wanted to. All the updates made it impossible for now.

Kitkat killed a lot of SD card functionality, but you should still be able to put things on it using My Files, which comes with the phone. You should also be able to put things on it using a PC. If you can't do that, my guess is that there's something wrong with the phone or the card.

Just remember that if you're trying to use a 3rd party app to do anything that writes to the card, you're out of luck.

greddycivic7

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
If you just got the Galaxy, you couldn't root it if you wanted to. All the updates made it impossible for now.

Kitkat killed a lot of SD card functionality, but you should still be able to put things on it using My Files, which comes with the phone. You should also be able to put things on it using a PC. If you can't do that, my guess is that there's something wrong with the phone or the card.

Just remember that if you're trying to use a 3rd party app to do anything that writes to the card, you're out of luck.

I have tried using my computer with stock cable, the stock "my files" folder for moving and nothing works. As soon as I move it from internal memory to my sd card, I get the "sorry cant play video" error message. The SD card itself is a brand new Samsung class 10 that has no issue with my music being on it. So im confident the card is not the problem. For what its worth I am trying to move mp4 torrent files. Maybe I need to save it somewhere specific on the internal memory? Need to save it somewhere specific in my SD card? There has to be some solution here...

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The kit kat does not let you write stuff on external sdcard through third party app, but not bring able to play the video is something I've unheard of, try playing the video on dice player.

greddycivic7

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

My card is a brand new Samsung class 10 so I know it cant be the issue. If it helps, Im trying to move mp4 torrent files to the sd card..

CKR83

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking you might have something actually wrong with that phone, or with the SD card. If you have another card, you could put it in and run some simple tests. I don't have enough experience with the phone to tell you what else to do.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok have you tried the card in a PC to see if you can read the card there
and is the Firmware stock and not a Custom Rom
4.4.2 does let you right to the SD yes Google has messed around with it
The best app for seeing and using is ES file manager if that can not sent to sd then there is a Hardware issue
with the phone or card have you got another card to try ??

greddycivic7

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I do not have another card to try. Can you explain what to do on the computer? I'm a new with his stuff. It's weird because my music is on the sd card and works perfectly fine. All I want to do is move movies from the internal memor to my 64GB SD card...

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried VLC?

If vlc won't play then where did you get the sd card? Has it behaved oddly at all? If you got it online eg eBay or Amazon beware. It could be fake. Contact Samsung to check. Just a suggestion, as I had a sandisk which behaved like this. Toy could try another sdcard and see is it plays there, although the fact it copies over suggests it's the file format and VLC should work

Posted via the Android Central App

greddycivic7

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I tried VLC it worked until I moved the file over to the sd card. Again, the file will transfer but will not play. I bought the sd card on ebay but it is a real one. This is so frustrating that something so easy can't be done on such a smart phone.

greddycivic7

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Well you all were right. I found another card laying around my house. Formatted it, threw it in and it works like a charm. I guess I should have known better to trust my "brand new" samsung card I bought on ebay. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help. Who Dey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781