after water drop

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The phone is water resistant which means things like rain shouldn't hurt it but dunking underneath water can still cause water damage since the phone isn't water proof.

Did you try and dry / soak the phone in rice afterwards to see if it could extract the water?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

anon(9013794)

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I think the s5 is water proof, it has a gasket on the bottom port for charging and on the back cover. I see in best buy they have a demo submerged in water, water resistant probably be most phones like water touching outside screen or finger wet touching display..

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the s5 is water proof, it has a gasket on the bottom port for charging and on the back cover. I see in best buy they have a demo submerged in water, water resistant probably be most phones like water touching outside screen or finger wet touching display..

No it's water resistant not water proof. They even say resistant within its description.

Dunking it in water isn't a great idea.. Some may be okay.. But they made it dust and water resistant.. To withstand little bits.. Such as rain :).

anon(9013794)

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I have to read up more on it...but I was in best buy the other day and they had a s5 demo submerged in water...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to read up more on it...but I was in best buy the other day and they had a s5 demo submerged in water...

As I said it may work but they even say in the manual it's water resistant.. Not proof. Dunk at your own risk :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot below from the Samsung Galaxy S5 website.

Attachments

• 1407871745098.jpg
    1407871745098.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 106

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Thats unfortunate. I work at a vzw retailer and our samsung rep has told us regularly that its water proof up to 1 meter. I regularly dip mine in glasses of water to show customers and friends and such, sounds like your charging port may not have been fully closed

gazoo2010

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
As I said it may work but they even say in the manual it's water resistant.. Not proof. Dunk at your own risk :).

Waterproof and water resistant are terms that are frequently misused. Nowadays most companies do not use the term waterproof as nothing is completely waterproof. Water resistant has become the norm. When using water resistant, companies then add limits. for example my dive watch is water resistant to 750 meters. That is not to say that something could happen and it could develop a leak at less than 750 meters, but I use it regularly in the pool and ocean.

The S5 is water resistant to the IP67 rating. The IP stands for Ingress Protection. The 6 means "no ingree of dust. Complete protection against contact (dust tight). The 7 means Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). To be certified a device must be tested for a duration of 30 minutes with immersion at depth of at most 1 m measured at bottom of device, and at least 15 cm measured at top of device.

Samsung would not be able to market the device as IP67 certified if it did not pass those tests.

~S

theonlybuster

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Thats unfortunate. I work at a vzw retailer and our samsung rep has told us regularly that its water proof up to 1 meter. I regularly dip mine in glasses of water to show customers and friends and such, sounds like your charging port may not have been fully closed

Just goes to show very few people truly understand the difference between water proof and resistant.
On the water "proof" scale, the S5 scored VERY low. The phone was not made to be submerged in water on a daily bases. Instead it's a bit of protection if you fall into a pool with the phone briefly, get caught in the rain, or want to take a risqué shower selfie.

The phone wasn't made to withstand water jets hitting it, or even a bit or turbulence while being submerged within water. You rep needs to really look into the true specs of his company's phone.
The phone is not water proof by any standards, simply a moderate level of resistant.

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Water proof water resistant whatever I'll tell you what they dunked the s5 in a tank of water at th AT&T Store just to prove it b4 I brought my phone completely submerged the phone in front of me

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Yea it is so hes wasn,t closed right in the back or something was broken ;)

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Just goes to show very few people truly understand the difference between water proof and resistant.
On the water "proof" scale, the S5 scored VERY low. The phone was not made to be submerged in water on a daily bases. Instead it's a bit of protection if you fall into a pool with the phone briefly, get caught in the rain, or want to take a risqué shower selfie.

The phone wasn't made to withstand water jets hitting it, or even a bit or turbulence while being submerged within water. You rep needs to really look into the true specs of his company's phone.
The phone is not water proof by any standards, simply a moderate level of resistant.

There is no "waterproof" scale, there is an ingress protection rating in which the S5 is IP67 certified. The 6 corresponds to the dust resistance and according to the scale there is no higher value than 6 thus making the S5 dust PROOF. Regarding the 7 that the S5 scored, that is to certify it is capable of withstanding submersion in up to 1m of water for up to 30 minutes at a time, there is only one higher value (8)
above this which is basically water proof since it can be submerged in depths greater than 1m for longer periods of time.

Therefore, the S5 did not score poorly... it scored exceptionally well considering the S5 has a removeable back cover while other "waterproof" smartphones don't.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot below from the Samsung Galaxy S5 website.

Sure it says "resistant", but the key statement is that it's IP67 certified.
That is what controlles the amount of water/dust resistance/proof technology has.

IP67 is slot more than just withstanding wet hands, rain etc. Have a look at the meaning and you'll see that the phone is in fact water proof in a way (30min - > 1m).

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The S5 is IP67 certified. That means submission in water up to 1 meter deep for 30 minutes. That's a lot more than just "rain." That doesn't include water under pressure, though. Aim a firehose at it and all bets are off.

It's described as water resistant, rather than waterproof, for legal reasons. If they call it waterproof, someone's going to demand a replacement for a phone that sits at the bottom of a lake for a week.

All that said, there do seem to be plenty of S5's that have failed after less exposure than the IP67 spec requires, and Samsung has apparently refused warranty coverage on these. If I really needed to a phone that could withstand immersion, I'd get a waterproof case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18