Can anyone recommend desktop dock for S5?

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I am about to purchase S5 (upgrade from S3 on Verizon) but I've held off for several months waiting for a desktop dock similar to the one I have for the S3 which is the Samsung Universal Dock EDD-D200BE.

Has anyone tried or purchased a dock for the S5 which would connect in a similar way? There are many options but with mixed feedback/reviews.

I am hoping someone can provide a suggestion/recommendation.

Please let me know. Thanks.

photoman333

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
It's not so simple on the S5, which has a plug covering the port (to retain its water-resistant rating) and the plug is a USB3 not a USB2. Are you just trying to charge it or also doing data transfers all the time?

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I am only using to charge. I like having the dock because the phone is upright, within arms reach, and faces me at my desk.

So you don't think I would like using a dock for the S5 the way I am now with S3? I see some docks out there but little feedback/reviews are available.

If you have any suggestions/advice, I would like to know.

Thanks.

mklasse

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I would guess you have to remove the charging flap and loose water resistance if you want to use dock.
The charging flap would get in the way and if you force it to work (ie. fold it 180 degrees) flat with the phone, it may break sooner than later (I have heard stories of broken charging flap even without using any dock)
I don't think USB 2.0 and 3.0 matters that much when it comes to charging. Samsung supplied USB 2.0 cable with 2A adaptor in my country, and supplied USB 3.0 cable for note 3. I have tried charging it using both USB 2.0 and 3.0 cable, and my phone charged as fast when using supplied USB 2.0 cable.

photoman333

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I am only using to charge. I like having the dock because the phone is upright, within arms reach, and faces me at my desk.
If you have any suggestions/advice, I would like to know.
Thanks.

There is an inductive charging technology with an international Standard called Qi. You put a metal coil receiver inside the back of the phone and get a Qi charger which has a matching coil in it. When you put the phone on the charger they detect each other's proximity and the phone starts charging through magnetic induction without the need to plug it in. And yes it does work through a case.

With the S5 the only coil you can install and retain the S5's water resistance is a replacement back cover made by Samsung. If you don't care about the water resistance there are a number of aftermarket Qi receivers that you can install between the battery and the back cover you have already. The Samsung Qi cover increases the thickness of the phone a little, just enough to prevent most existing cases to fit, but there are three cases that do fit. My S5 has the Samsung back but my wife's S5 has an aftermarket coil inside her gold AT&T phone. They both work well.

There are two very good tilted chargers available. One is the Tylt-Vu charger on Amazon. The other, less expensive one is sold on eBay - search on "A6 QI Wireless Charger Charging Pad Transmitter For Apple Samsung Google HTC LG" if they don't let me add the URL here

A6 Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad Transmitter for Apple Samsung Google HTC LG | eBay

That one is half the price of the Tylt but takes 10 days to get delivered to the US from Hong Kong. My wife and I have five of them between our home and our workplaces so we're obviously happy with them.

The inductive charging is about a third as fast as the Sammy wired charger but you tend not to care about that because you just lay the phone on the charger and pick it up when you need to.

So, that's the story. You buy the Samsung back and get one of the 3 cases made for it, or you add a Qi receiver. And you get a tilted charger. But be careful about the term "tilted charger" - there are cheap ones that are like hockey pucks which do work but they're not tilted very much. A real tilted charger has to have a lip at the bottom to keep your phone from sliding off.

Ted

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The wireless charging seems quite expensive to me and not necessary. I don't mind moving the flap to the side a bit in order to connect a dock.

I am a bit concerned that Samsung is providing an "OEM" desktop dock for the S5. This forces me to evaluate 3rd party products only by reading online reviews which there are not many.

I saw the Kidigi S5 dock which got a few good reviews on amazon.

Was hoping someone could provide feedback on a desktop dock they've used with S5 that worked well. Anyone?

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Just watched a video about removing the flap. Good to know it can be removed easily. I will probably just leave mine on there for resale purposes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781