People keep saying they can't hear me!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That SuperBackup option to the SD card?

Had you already done that, all you would have needed to do is move the SD card from the old phone to the new phone, and SuperBackup would have restored every thing for you.
A bit tedious, you have to do each category step by step....
but 15 minutes is enough to do the whole phone.

SuperBackup has an option to Automatically backup everything on a schedule that you choose.

Itsallgood11

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I got a brand new Samsung Galaxy with in 2 months my mic didn't work when I talked to people they said they couldn't hear me and sometimes said I sounded far away and could barely hear me. I called Verizon they had me go through all the crap to try to fix the phone than had me do a factory reset and that didn't work. Verizon sent me a refurbished phone, that lasted a few weeks than the same problem again, I called Verizon and they had me go through the same crap again trying to fix than having me do a factory reset and again that didn't work. To make a long story short this happened to me 2 more times tomorrow I recieve my 5th Samsung Galaxy S5 this was all within just under 5 months of the first one. I called Verizon and also Called Samsung, Verizon will only send me a replacment refurbished phone and I send back the old one, Samsung wanted to send me a prepaid box to ship it to them and they would fix it and if they couldn't they would send me another one ( said it would take 2 or 3 weeks ) neither one of them would send me a different phone they would only replace my Galaxy S5 with a refurbished one, I love the Galaxy S5 but with all these issues with the mic its a bunch of crap come on going on my 5th phone with same issue with in 5 months. I never had a problem with my S3, and this happened with all 4 of these phones set back to factory settings everything was like it come out of the box, even tried a new Sims card in each phone, there was no case on all the phones, mic was not covered and still had the issue with the mic. Lets see how number 5 goes,,,,, Also wanted to mention each phone worked fine on speaker phone but once speaker phone was off the person couldn't hear me at all or they could barley hear me but most of the time nothing at all

Last edited:

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my second S5 and still having the same issue. Disgusted. Cant keep returning them - every time I lose all my apps and everything - the Verizon people apparently don't know how to back everything up safely and restore it.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second S5 and still having the same issue. Disgusted. Cant keep returning them - every time I lose all my apps and everything - the Verizon people apparently don't know how to back everything up safely and restore it.

Before you power on your new phone, insert the sim card from your defective one, then the first time you power up your new phone, bypass all the setup and signing in stuff, though do connect to a wifi network since you're likely on a limited data plan, then go to settings, system updates. Update everything if it's needed. If the phone has any software updates, factory data reset it afterwards, then proceed to step 2.

Secondly, sign into your Google account, and make sure you are connected to wifi. The phone is on lollipop, so it will ask you which apps you would like to restore from your last (and still operational) phone. Let them do their thing, update the pre-installed apps...and reboot the phone, and proceed to step 3.

Step 3: download Samsung Smart Switch from Google Play. You may want to borrow an old Galaxy S3 or S4 phone from someone to use (just put your sim card in their old phone) while you let the phones go thru the switch (it's not very fast). You mainly need to make sure game progress is synced or backed up for any games you are playing on your old phone before resetting it! Also notes and whatnot. The automated Samsung Smart Switch, and signing into your Google account with lollipop does most of the rest for you!

Lastly, make sure you have everything synced on your new phone before you factory reset your old phone. You can keep the old phone for a while, as long as they get it back within 30 days, they won't charge you, though they do like to send lots of reminder texts.

Good luck, I hope I helped, let us know :)

Posted via the Android Central App

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Didn't work that way. I subscribed to the warranty, so they took the old phone and gave me a new one. The woman at the Verizon store TOLD me that she was backing everything up for me, but it apparently wasn't true.

I only have one game - chess, but a lot of other things I've added, like connecting to my home wireless, Airdroid, photos, videos etc.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Didn't work that way. I subscribed to the warranty, so they took the old phone and gave me a new one. The woman at the Verizon store TOLD me that she was backing everything up for me, but it apparently wasn't true.

I only have one game - chess, but a lot of other things I've added, like connecting to my home wireless, Airdroid, photos, videos etc.

That's a completely different warranty process than I have from Verizon. Verizon overnights a warranty replacement to my home, and I then have to put the old one in the mail. What warranty do you have, curiously? I have "extended warranty" through Verizon, the one that costs about $3 a month and doesn't cover insurance type claims (lost / water damage / screen cracks), only covers if it's defective.

Posted via the Android Central App

JWMNH

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my S5. I pretty much have to yell into the microphone hole. My son now has the same problem. He lives in Boston. Me in New Hampshire. Enough people have this issue that I'm sure Samsung knows it's an issue. I'm out of warranty. I'll get an HTC

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm fed up but I don't know what to do. I don't know if the S6 is any better and Verizon just ended all contracts, so we'd have to pay full price for any new phone now.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Same problem. I cleaned the lint out of my mic with the hairs of a toothbrush. Now my voice if clear and sharp.

I'm still having the problem, even after I took an Xacto knife and CARVED the mic pinhole into a larger diameter, at the bottom of the phone.

And from what I've read, the S6 is no better!

It's making me crazy, because clients call while I'm in the car and they keep saying I sound muffled and they cant hear me!

And now that Verizon has quit doing contracts and "free" phones, it costs a LOT to get a newer model, which would be a disaster if it was just as bad as this S5! What the heck is wrong with Samsung, that they cant make a phone that doesn't sound muffled?!

Sheri Meshal

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I've had this problem since the day I got the phone. Nothing works and it's not a background noise issue, because I can be sitting at my kitchen table and all of a sudden they can't hear me - no changes, the sound just goes out. I'm ready for an iPhone. I've liked this phone in every other respect, but it is a PHONE. The fact that basic PHONE CALLS can be a huge hassle is absurd.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had this problem since the day I got the phone. Nothing works and it's not a background noise issue, because I can be sitting at my kitchen table and all of a sudden they can't hear me - no changes, the sound just goes out. I'm ready for an iPhone. I've liked this phone in every other respect, but it is a PHONE. The fact that basic PHONE CALLS can be a huge hassle is absurd.

Exactly Sheri. The question is, what to do now? I've been through 3 of these, and recently, Verizon talked me through testing it with the voice recorder app and THAT sounded GREAT! Clear & crisp. Then people tell me they cant hear me, so THESE PHONES are defective in their very design!

I wonder if Verizon has any pull with Samsung, for replacing it with a different model, for me, at no charge?

Jeff9964

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I've experienced this same problem, but what fixed my problem was a clogged mic. (Not saying this is YOUR problem, but give it a try). Next to the port on your phone where you plug in your charger, you will see a very small pin hole, that is your mic, using a straight pin, clean this hole as it sometimes get micro debris in it. Voila! This solved my problem, hope it's your solution also.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've experienced this same problem, but what fixed my problem was a clogged mic. (Not saying this is YOUR problem, but give it a try). Next to the port on your phone where you plug in your charger, you will see a very small pin hole, that is your mic, using a straight pin, clean this hole as it sometimes get micro debris in it. Voila! This solved my problem, hope it's your solution also.

Not for me, Jeff. I even tried carving out the mic hole with a pointed Xacto knife. THEN someone at Verizon had me try the voice recorder app and it sounded clear and crisp. So the problem is apparently happening only with outgoing phone calls, on many of this model of phones. I turned it in to Verizon a few weeks ago and got a LG G5 instead, which has been GREAT for people finally hearing me! I will NEVER own another Samsung phone because of this! It's cost me maybe $700 altogether and I cant get compensation from Samsung - no one even knows how to try!

You can see my next thread at http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g5/676569-my-experience-lg-g5-replaced-galaxy-s5-me.html

Let's end this one. Thanks everybody.

fearezen

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Make sure you aren't holding the phone with your pinky finger over the small microphone hole near the usb port.

THIS!!! This was the cause for me. Pinky covering the mic.

(I know this is an old post, but it comes up on the first page of google results for this problem)

To make matters worse, as I get frustrated that people can't hear me, I would start holding the phone differently to talk more clearly at the bottom. Turns out my pinky would covered the mic hole every time I tried to do so, only making it worse.

Seriously everyone, watch your pinky near the mic! 100% solved my problem

I tried everything else people mention here. Even factory resets. Its just poor design, with the mic hole placement.

Devilslvr1

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Clear. The person who had been complaining saod that it now sounded like i was standing next to them. I rebooted the phone before testing. Not an issue for me anymore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49