l No Use For A Name l

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello new to the forum here. I'm going tomorrow to purchase a new phone and I'm going to make the move to samsung. I was just wondering what was the better device the note 3 or the s5. Just so you know my background I run a business and am always on the move. Thanks

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
Personally, I'd take the Note 3 if you don't care about the water/dust resistance and the fingerprint scanner on the S5. Those are the only real advantages I see on the S5, and aren't a big deal for me.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you want a bigger display? Or a smaller display?
S5 has a 16 MP camera and Note 3 has 13. As for battery life, I find them the same. I use the S5 because the Note 3 is a bit big.
S5 also runs a better looking version of TouchWiz. And not as much lag. I experience pretty much none.
For security there is a fingerprint scanner on the S5 too. I like the S5 more, and the Note 4 will be coming out soon anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've used both phones and they are both great, you can't go wrong with either.

I'd say the main advantages of the S5 are :

Water resistance
Better camera/software
Finger print scanner
Heart rate monitor
Improved display

Advantages of the note 3 :

Bigger display
S-pen and related software
Extra gig of ram

The Note 4 will be announced in about 2 weeks so you might want to hold on for that.

Posted from my S5

todbanner

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Do you want a bigger display? Or a smaller display?
S5 has a 16 MP camera and Note 3 has 13. As for battery life, I find them the same. I use the S5 because the Note 3 is a bit big.
S5 also runs a better looking version of TouchWiz. And not as much lag. I experience pretty much none.
For security there is a fingerprint scanner on the S5 too. I like the S5 more, and the Note 4 will be coming out soon anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

Not to hijack the ops thread, I'm a brand new user to Android, trying to get my head around the environment.

Tonight I'm looking at launchers, a concept I wasn't even familiar with until this evening.

I've now learned that my AT&T S5 was running a launcher called TouchWiz as you mentioned in the previous post. I have just installed something called Google now launcher.

Is there a recommendation from the community for best launcher and why?

I suppose the first answer is "to each his own"

What is the concensus on performance over the look? Do some launchers have better features?

I guess I will go hunt around the forum for some discussion on the matter.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not to hijack the ops thread, I'm a brand new user to Android, trying to get my head around the environment.

Tonight I'm looking at launchers, a concept I wasn't even familiar with until this evening.

I've now learned that my AT&T S5 was running a launcher called TouchWiz as you mentioned in the previous post. I have just installed something called Google now launcher.

What is the concensus on performance over the look? Do some launchers have better features?

Google Now Launcher is great. Another favorite around here is Nova. There are a few other popular ones, and they each have features that make them stand out :)
Download a few and test them out.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Launcher: Nova

Browser: Dolphin or Opera (I prefer Dolphin by a hair)

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Unless you plan on using the s-pen, I would go with the S5.

I've had both and really like both. But I didn't have a use for the S-pen and the S5 is easier to handle one handed.

Posted via my Galaxy S5

TheRewardisCheese

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on the new phone :) I am sure you will like it. I have one and personally, I love the newer version of touchwiz over the old one....actually I hated the old one for some reason lol.