S5 Bluetooth Connectivity with Audi MMI

sartick

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I recently replaced my iPhone 4S with a S5 and am having one nagging problem - I cannot get directions from the MAPS app to come thru the audio system of my 2011 Audi A6. I had no problems whatsoever doing this with my iPhone. I have read a number of threads where people have had similar problems but none were specific to the Audi's audio (MMI) system. I have paired and re-paired the S5 with the car numerous times and have tried countless possible solutions, but the navigation directions always and only come thru the phone's speaker. With the car's radio on, this becomes a problem. With my iPhone, the radio broadcast would cut out whenever directions (using Google Maps) were spoken.

Can anyone, especially Audi owners who have this issue solved, provide any help so that directions come thru my car's speakers? I assume it can be done but please correct me if this is not the case.

AshManMB

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Does your car support Bluetooth audio streaming? You should also check if the Bluetooth setting on the phone has media audio enabled for the audi Bluetooth connection

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Does your A6 support Bluetooth *media* streaming?

My 09 A4 only supports phone via Bluetooth. I had to install an aftermarket Bluetooth receiver to get it to play media/routing directions through the stereo.

-Suntan

sartick

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Does your car support Bluetooth audio streaming? You should also check if the Bluetooth setting on the phone has media audio enabled for the audi Bluetooth connection

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I assume the car supports Bluetooth audio streaming since I never had any issues playing music, making calls of getting navigation directions to come over the car's speakers when I had my iPhone. With the S5. the only thing not coming thru the car's speakers are navigation directions. However, when I look at the Bluetooth profile for my car when I open Bluetooth on the S5, the only profile that appears is for phone media. I have been unable to figure out how to create an additional profile. My other car has two profiles listed on the phone - one is for the phone and the other is (I believe) called audio media.

sartick

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Does your A6 support Bluetooth *media* streaming?

My 09 A4 only supports phone via Bluetooth. I had to install an aftermarket Bluetooth receiver to get it to play media/routing directions through the stereo.

-Suntan

Please take a look at the previous reply I just posted as it may give you additional thoughts on my problem. I do not think that I need an aftermarket Bluetooth receiver since everything worked when I had my iPhone. It doesn't seem reasonable that changing phones would necessitate getting a Bluetooth receiver when the car's audio system worked perfectly when I had my iPhone. Now, the only thing not working is Maps.

sartick

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I called Audi technical support yesterday and the rep told me that the S5 is not yet on their list of tested/approved devices. She said that because they have not done any testing, some Bluetooth features such as making calls, playing music may work on some Audis while others such as navigational directions may not. She told me the sequence of buttons on the Audi MMI to press that resets it and grabs the newest software from Audi. I did that reset and nothing changed....still no audible directions coming over the speakers from the Maps app. Still looking for ideas to try or hearing from others who have had better luck than me.

ingenium

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I called Audi technical support yesterday and the rep told me that the S5 is not yet on their list of tested/approved devices. She said that because they have not done any testing, some Bluetooth features such as making calls, playing music may work on some Audis while others such as navigational directions may not. She told me the sequence of buttons on the Audi MMI to press that resets it and grabs the newest software from Audi. I did that reset and nothing changed....still no audible directions coming over the speakers from the Maps app. Still looking for ideas to try or hearing from others who have had better luck than me.

What's the button sequence to get the newest MMI? I didn't realize it was able to be updated without taking it to the dealership.

sartick

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
It was a simple seuence but I did it while I talked to the rep on the phone. I do not remember it, but I suspect that you can get it by googling tit or calling Audi.

Garrett Covington

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: S5 Bluetooth Connectivity with Audi MMI 2010 S4

I had issues connecting my new GalaxyS5 with my 2010 Audi S4 MMI... The first try the audi discovered the phone it asked me to verify a PIN, showed a number, and my phone buzzed asking for the same number.. Im sure I shouldnt have been, but I was doing this at a stoplight. I started to move and the MMI promptly displayed a message about pairing not able to be done while car is moving... I never got the code to correctly input into the phone... I tried to pair again but the MMI would no longer find the s5..
I did everything I could (I thought) and could not get the MMI to connect as a handsfree device to the phone, even calling Audi support - the sequence is the setup button, the MMI center button, and the upper-right MMI button all at the same time, hold and release, which caused a reboot of the MMI. We also went into setup, default settings, and reset the directory, telephone and bluetooth. No avail and Audi support directed me to my nearest dealership. We had tried everything from the Audi side but not the S5 side.. if I initiated the process from the phone it would at least end up showing the audi mmi as a paired device on my phone and in the MMI would show it as paired, but the telephone button on the MMI would ask to search for new devices and the phone wouldnt let me 'connect as call audio' for the device.. close but still wouldnt let me use the phone through MMI..

Fix- I dug deeper into the bluetooth under settings and 'running applications' on my phone and found a 'clear data' button in the details of the bluetooth 'application information' page, hitting this prompted me that it would clear all data including databases etc which was exactly what i was looking for.

After clearing the bluetooth app info, the very first try with a stationary car and the Audi found the S5 by searching for bluetooth devices and asked me to put the code into my phone, as it had the first try.. a hard factory reset of the phone would have worked as well I assume, but the phone's bluetooth settings were holding some sort of info even though i deleted devices, clearing the bluetooth data within the app info did the trick for me!
-cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles