Galaxy S5 Fingerprint - Alternate Password Help

Steven Shulse

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Worked great!! Password reset and I have access to my phone again! Good thing, was down to my last two tries on the alternate password. Thanks!!
Steven

ahmad saidi

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
I forget my password and my finger print not working form morning I have a lot of data in my phone I locked my phone and I but a password but not working my phone say enter alternative password please how I can fix my phone '
my phone is Samsung s5
Thanks for the help!

Ivy Corona

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
this is not helping for me at all. I do everything. and I get this message "Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password you entered won't be needed".

tamakoura

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I got this message as well.
since google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password you entered won`t be needed.
WTH. the password I entered is needed man!!!!
Any progressive thoughts?

Lister of Smeg

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me:
I was locked out of Samsung S5 after turning on the fingerprint scanner. Scanner didn't recognise or even ask for print. The screen locked and asked for a password I didn't remember/never set.
Went through Google device manger through my gmail account to unlock the phone.
Got ""Since Google has verified that a screen lock is already set, the password that you entered won't be needed." Or words to that effect.
Solution:
1- Went to 'findmymobile.samsung.com'
2- click 'find your id or password'
3- then I could put in my gmail/email account
4-Samsung site sent me a link to enter a new password for my Samsung account
5-the reset password email went to my gmail junk folder
6-clicked link in the email
7-put in new password
8-the device manager on 'findmymobile.samsung.com' opened
8-Clicked option to unlock my phone.
And unlock it did

(I don't remember ever having a Samsung account- I may have set one up on buying the phone as perhaps it was obligatory, like an Apple ID)
I didn't have wi-fi enabled, but I did have my SIM card in with network/4G on.

Hope this works for somebody
All the best

Bakewell SoapCo

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for posting this!

I've spent this morning reading through post after post trying to unlock the screen after forgetting alternative password.

This step-by-step guide works perfectly if you find yourself locked out of your samsung galaxy having set fingerprint option for access and you can't remember your alternative password AND having gone in to Android Central, reset your alternative password and found that doesn't work when entering into the screen!

kaziplo

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
So after reading through 8 pages of this entire forum I finally figured out the solution to the second problem only a few number of people, like myself, are having. If you CAN completely get in and out of your phone and access everything but you CAN'T change your alternative password nor delete your previously saved fingerprints due to the fact that to do either of these things you constantly get prompted for your alternative password which your phone then doesn't except. Regardless of if you forgot the password or are putting it in correctly and it's not being accepted there is a relatively easy fix.

Basically, you just go to your Settings and then go to you Application Manager. Once there go to the list that gives you ALL your applications not just your downloaded or SD card ones. From there scroll down until you see an app entitled Fingerprints. Click on this and simply click on Clear Data. After that is done go back to your Fingerprint Scanner and you should be able to finally enter your Fingerprint Manager to delete the preexisting fingerprint registrations and all that jazz. You shouldn't be prompted for any passwords to get into the Fingerprint Manager. If you are, try restarting your phone to make sure the data got deleted properly.

Hope this helps.

I can't take full credit for it because the idea was sparked thanks to usoska's suggestion (post #170) to download Titanium Backup if your phone is rooted.

This is what I posted in a different forum. Solution actually works.

clueso

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I got rid of the fingerprint log in alt password by going into settings/ fingerprint scanner and deleted all the fingerprints and then it defaulted to swype

55caitlin55

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue. It tells me the same thing. Basically, it won't let me change the password because I already have one. Please help!

myatmon

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I may have misunderstood your original question. Try this instead:

To get rid of registered fingerprints: Go to Settings / Quick Settings / Finger Scanner / Fingerprint Manager. Then go to Menu in the upper right and click, Deregister. Then tap the selected finger print and then tap the delete icon in the upper right.

You can also change the Alternate Password in the Finger Scanner Menu.

I wouldn't recommend using any fingerprints. Over time dust and oils settle on the screen and the fingerprints may not be recognizable. Its better to use a PIN number. It never fades over time.

Perryv28

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
This solution actually worked thanks for everyone else following other solutions simply follow this to get to the fingerprints jus simply go to applications find the fingerprint app and delete data after go back to get into ur fingerprints and u can change password fingerprints etc.

Yuke Ponen

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 Fingerprint - Alternate Password Help ATTENTION ALL

I've had the exact same problem for 4 months and after refusing after all that time the I found the solution to be "Samsung's Find My Mobile"

THIS ACTUALLY WORKS AND WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE SAME PROBLEMS OF ANDROID MANAGER

hayabusa89

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Hey.. I tried this option but it doesn't work. It does not allow me to access my phone. It says "wrong password", even though I have changed the password. Can you please help me with this.

tophat25

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi Lister of Smeg,

I was very close to doing a full reset on the phone after not finding any of the previous things i have tried to work. But i have just given your advice ago and it WORKS! so signed up to this site to say thanks dude and have a great weekend.