Phone constantly freezing, almost daily

bxbshingo

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had my GS5 since April, and every now and then it will freeze and cause me to do a battery pull, but lately it's constant. It's almost always relating to Facebook or Facebook messenger.

What happens is that it will freeze on a particular screen of Facebook or Messenger, and give no response, except for haptic feedback on the buttons. Sleep and waking will bring me back to that same screen, with no lock. Using my fingerprint scan will allow me to get feedback from the buttons, but nothing changes the screen it froze on. Sometimes on Facebook Messenger, it will allow me to do things behind the frozen messenger chat window, but offer me nothing else.

This is borderline ridiculous on a new phone to have it freeze almost every day, causing a battery pull. Is there anyone familiar with this issue that has a solution BESIDES factory resetting? Thank you. :D

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had my GS5 since April, and every now and then it will freeze and cause me to do a battery pull, but lately it's constant. It's almost always relating to Facebook or Facebook messenger.

What happens is that it will freeze on a particular screen of Facebook or Messenger, and give no response, except for haptic feedback on the buttons. Sleep and waking will bring me back to that same screen, with no lock. Using my fingerprint scan will allow me to get feedback from the buttons, but nothing changes the screen it froze on. Sometimes on Facebook Messenger, it will allow me to do things behind the frozen messenger chat window, but offer me nothing else.

This is borderline ridiculous on a new phone to have it freeze almost every day, causing a battery pull. Is there anyone familiar with this issue that has a solution BESIDES factory resetting? Thank you. :D

I was having a similar issue but it wasn't freezing as bad as yours. It would freeze for like 15 seconds and would eventually start working again. I tried a number of different things, deleted apps that I thought were causing the issue and nothing worked. I finally did a factory reset and have not had one freeze up since.

Not sure why you are so opposed to a factory reset. Download Helium backup from the play store and back up all of your app data. I used Samsung Keis to back up my contacts, call logs SMS and used Helium for the app data. After the reset, I installed the Keis back up and then did the helium back up and everything was just like it was before but with no more freezing.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Freeze ups are almost always software related. Since it freezes mostly on facebook apps, I would uninstall those apps, then clear cache, and reboot. Use the phone for a little while without the Faceplant garbage, and see what happens. If it seems to be working OK, reinstall one of the apps, and see how things go. Then reinstall the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol