Want to Switch to Galaxy S5 from iPhone 5S But Getting Cold Feet

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Right now I have an iPhone 5S, 64GB, AT&T. I want to switch to the Galaxy S5 because there is a lot I like about (more powerful, better apps, customization options, custom ROMs, etc.) but I'm just not sure. There are a lot of important features to me on my iPhone, mostly iMessaging. What are some of the shortcomings of these phones? I know that I could just Google this and I have but I want to hear some responses from actual owners of the phones. Have any of you switched from the iPhone? Do you like it better? Do you miss anything about the iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parham Goudarzi

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
The optimization you get for apps in IOS devices is marvelous! This isn't like that in Android, some application crash, some games are laggy, etc. Wish you a good immigration!

Posted via Android Central App

Fisherman559

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I switched from iPhone 5 and I'm happy. Is it better? No... Does it have different strengths? Yes, the display size and quality alone keeps me happy with it. The camera is great to.

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
How is the battery life on the Galaxy? It sucks on the 5S. Even on low brightness normal usage barely lasts me a whole day.

sads5

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Switched to the S5 last month from a iphone 5. I would say give it a shot. For me the phone hiccups and crashes too much when multiple apps are open or when switching between apps often (going from games to texting to any other app). Now I just found out that the video quality when receiving videos is dramatically reduced which is pretty disappointing for me and I'll probably strongly consider picking up the iphone 6 when it comes out. I'll still be using the S5 for the time being until the iphone 6 becomes available and hopefully my views change. Don't let my experience dissuade you though, I am happy I finally got to dive into the android ecosystem. The S5 definitely has its advantages over the iphone and its up to you to decide which phone you like best.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I think you should probably wait for the iPhone 6 announcement before deciding.

It's hard for anyone to advise you as we all want different things.

I switched 2.5 years ago and I've been generally happy. I honestly don't think I could go back to using an iPhone as my daily driver anymore. I tried earlier this year but only lasted 28 days. The iPhone is a good phone and for a time I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread lol

I think my time with the iPhone has passed now.

If your carrier will allow you to return your phone within say 14 days you could try the S5 and return it for the iPhone 6 if you don't like it.

Posted from my S5

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I switched from an 5S a few weeks ago and I'm still very happy with the move. I had no complaints about the iPhone but wanted something different. I really don't miss anything from the iPhone. However, I'm not a "power user" so to speak. If you're getting cold feet, I agree with others that you should wait until the Apple announcement of the 6 and make a decision then. It's only a few more weeks out.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You'll see things that you like better on the S5 and then things that you will miss on your Iphone. Having been on Android now for about 18 months, I will say that overall performance was better on IOS. I don't think I rebooted my IPhone more than maybe once a week, where i have an ap to do that daily on my S5. There is much more lag on the S5 than there ever was on my Iphone. I personally think Siri does a much better job than OK Google.

That being said, I always hated being chained to the "I" collective. Felt like I was assimilated by the Borg. I really like the freedom that I have with my S5. Screen is better. Battery is better. Camera is better.

Just my .02

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
You guys must have good luck with your iPhones because my 5S crashes almost daily and I have to reset it all the time lol. I had ****ty luck with my 4 too. The only iPhone I had absolutely ZERO problems with was the 3GS. Loved that damn thing lol. But yeah it's good to hear that people are switching and do like it. So when you guys are saying you're not getting very good app performance, what do you mean? Like lag? I get that on my 5S too. Like if I'm playing a game and open a text often the messaging app won't display my text until I force it off and bring it back up and usually that will end up crashing my game too. I have also had the notification issues on my 5S. Sometimes apps I allowed notifications for won't come through and other apps I have taken every action to block notifications from still show up. Is it worse on the Galaxy?

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Had my S5 for 5 months and has not crashed once. I do not play games or have the Facebook app to bog it down either.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
How is the battery life on the Galaxy? It sucks on the 5S. Even on low brightness normal usage barely lasts me a whole day.

My GS5 gets 14hrs with heavy use and 24-30hrs on light usage. Love it

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Coning from iPhone 5s, really love the battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-04-09-24-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-04-09-24-27.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 42

BigZman95

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Had my S5 for 5 months and has not crashed once. I do not play games or have the Facebook app to bog it down either.

I do occasionally use Facebook and I plan on playing plenty of games lol. Emulators are one of the big draws for me to the Android.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I just got an gold S5 and I am loving it....I am using note 3 and limit 1020...using S5 as my lumia is going for repair...then after it is back gonna give S5 to my wife..I really love the S5....I got S5 for her...even we were confused between iPhone 5s and S5...and we dint think iPhone 5s is worth the price...soo we choose S5 ...love all the features :)

Cincojoe

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Just moved from the iPhone last week. I was a IPhone user since day one in 2007. I'm having a blast with all the freedom. Can't see myself ever going back unless Apple opens things up and changes. I don't see that ever happening.

Parham Goudarzi

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
If you are bored from Apple I ID restrictions, give android a try. The widgets, home screen, etc, are quite lovely to people who they have immigrated from iOS to Android. But, applications run much better on it's devices, epically games.