S5 or S4

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have an S3 that is almost dead. I'm looking at either S4 or S5 to replace it. I have to buy off contract to keep my unlimited VZW data and I'm looking at eBay. Is there any compelling reason to choose the S5 over an older S4? I know how to check my pulse, so that isn't one. Neither is the waterproofing since I can keep my phone dry.

I don't play games or media on my phone. Strictly business. I'm actually still happy with the S3 performance, but thought it would be a good idea to update a little.

Thanks,
WB

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Really depends on what your wallet will go for. I've had them all and think some things like the heart rate monitor are "gimmicky". Like you, I've had devices over many years and never felt the need to have a water resistant feature. I personally think the charging port cover is a pos and many have broken.

I'd take a peek at Swappa as well (www.swappa.com) before I would buy from eBay.

Also, check the Marketplace here on A/C - you can find some near mint devices. And Swappa checks the IMEI number to ensure it's valid and without issues.

Just my two cents though.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't heard of Swappa. Wallet will go for either, but I have a hard time parting with an extra $200 for the S5 if it really isn't that much of an improvement over the S4.

Really depends on what your wallet will go for. I've had them all and think some things like the heart rate monitor are "gimmicky". Like you, I've had devices over many years and never felt the need to have a water resistant feature. I personally think the charging port cover is a pos and many have broken.

I'd take a peek at Swappa as well (www.swappa.com) before I would buy from eBay.

Also, check the Marketplace here on A/C - you can find some near mint devices. And Swappa checks the IMEI number to ensure it's valid and without issues.

Just my two cents though.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Go with s5 unless there is significant difference in price (more than $200).

I think the water proof construction, significant longer battery life, brighter screen and super power saving mode are very important aspects of s5.

Now, if you really don't care about these, then s4 is good enough.

@T-Mobile GN3

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't care about waterproof construction. I'm not totally convinced by the promise of battery life. There are a few S5 threads bashing the battery life. How effective is the power saving mode? Is it truly a power saver or more of a gimmick?

Go with s5 unless there is significant difference in price (more than $200).

I think the water proof construction, significant longer battery life, brighter screen and super power saving mode are very important aspects of s5.

Now, if you really don't care about these, then s4 is good enough.

@T-Mobile GN3

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Its definitely not a gimmick. I don't have s5, but the mechanism behind this make a lot of sense.

I do have a tab s, so far hasn't tested the super power saving mode.

Posted via the Android Central App

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
No point in upgrading if you're just gonna upgrade to an old phone. Might as well get something new and more "future proof" like the s5.

Sal Anthony

May 10, 2014
Visit site
It's the s5, all day long for me, man. It is super responsive with a battery that's twice the size of it's predecessor. I've had all 3 phones, and s5 most impressive.

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Would go with the S4 all days of the week. There is nothing in my book that tips scale to the S5. On contrary, alot of things tips the scale to the S4!

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The battery size appears to be 2600 in the S4 up to 2800 in the S5. Not a doubling of the capacity. Are you saying the power saving mode gets you double the battery life? Part of my problem with battery life is that I spend a lot of time in an area with an incredibly weak 4G signal and have had a fully charged battery in my S3 drain in less than 5 hours due to signal strength. I usually have an external battery that I have hooked up to my phone when I know I'm going to be in areas where that will happen. I don't expect that upgrading to an S4 or S5 would change that any at all unless the power save feature can manage that in some way.

It's the s5, all day long for me, man. It is super responsive with a battery that's twice the size of it's predecessor. I've had all 3 phones, and s5 most impressive.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've gone from the gnex to the S4 to the Maxx and now to the S5. The S5 is the best. The only reason I would go with the S4 over the 5 is if you can get an mdk version. Otherwise, the battery life for me, using the same apps, gives me about an extra hour of screen on time vs. The S4. I'm actually getting almost as much battery life as my Maxx with the S5.

Obviously it's your decision, but aside from the gimmicks (s health stuff), the S5 feels faster and has remarkably better battery life. I will say this too, I use the the power saving mode at all times because I don't need the extra processor horsepower. I don't game and I don't really do tons with my phone other than feedly, pics, Tapatalk, calculator, music and media consumption.

Also, I know the waterproof thing might seem gimmicky, but it will mean you can use it even if it is raining at some outdoor event you may attend. That's one of the peripheral reasons I got the S5. Just my 0.02 fwiw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've decided to go with the S5. I'd like to think the S5 will get at least one or two OS upgrades (even if it takes VZW forever to push them). I don't upgrade that often, so I think the S5 is the best choice to last the next 20-24 months or so.
Thanks to ibcop for the tip on Swappa.

Ok, I've gone from the gnex to the S4 to the Maxx and now to the S5. The S5 is the best. The only reason I would go with the S4 over the 5 is if you can get an mdk version. Otherwise, the battery life for me, using the same apps, gives me about an extra hour of screen on time vs. The S4. I'm actually getting almost as much battery life as my Maxx with the S5.

Obviously it's your decision, but aside from the gimmicks (s health stuff), the S5 feels faster and has remarkably better battery life. I will say this too, I use the the power saving mode at all times because I don't need the extra processor horsepower. I don't game and I don't really do tons with my phone other than feedly, pics, Tapatalk, calculator, music and media consumption.

Also, I know the waterproof thing might seem gimmicky, but it will mean you can use it even if it is raining at some outdoor event you may attend. That's one of the peripheral reasons I got the S5. Just my 0.02 fwiw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My thought when the S4 came out was that it offered little over the S3. That's true of most devices in the 1 year upgrade cycle. There's a much bigger jump in performance and features from the S3 to S5, including a much better screen, a much faster processor, better battery life, and water-resistance. And the S5 will certainly get more OS updates than the S4. I don't know if the S4 will get Android "L", but the S5 certainly will.

Resendetra

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Ultra power saving mode is so nice to have when you know your phone isn't going to be used much. I sometimes put it on when I go to work, because signal is close to nonexistent in the building, and I stay in the 90 percent range all day. I have a friend that got the Galaxy Mega instead of the S5 (she basically just wanted a big screen), and her phone needs to be charged half way through the work day, even without much use. Though, I have noticed that even without me putting ultra power saving on during work hours, I still come out with a battery that is around 80% at the end of the day. She asks me how I do it and I tell her that she should have gotten an S5 instead of wanting a big screen for no apparent reason.

freightguy70

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Had the s4 and I currently have the s5. The s4 started overheating with the kit kit update. Upgraded a year early so I could get the s5. Don't waste your time with the 4. If your gonna go Samsung go with the 5. The hardware specs are way better as well. I enjoy it.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree you may as well get the latest device. The S4 is over a year old. I used the phone for about 6 months before upgrading to the note 3. The device is fine but the S5 is more future proof in terms of its hardware and will be supported for longer.

Posted from my S5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma