64 bit Vs. 32 bit processors...so what's the big deal?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain -- nice and simply -- exactly what are the benefits of 64 bit vs.32 bit archetecture are from an end user's standpoint?

Or is this something that's just of theoretical interest and pushing the boundaries just to push the boundaries...if you know what I mean. I'm not a gamer, I don't do a lot of complicated things on my smartphone. I just read articles on the internet, watch a few youtube vids, order stuff on Amazon occassionally, check stock portfolios and send and receive emails.

So just what is 64 bit going to do for me?

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Can someone explain -- nice and simply -- exactly what are the benefits of 64 bit vs.32 bit archetecture are from an end user's standpoint?

Or is this something that's just of theoretical interest and pushing the boundaries just to push the boundaries...if you know what I mean. I'm not a gamer, I don't do a lot of complicated things on my smartphone. I just read articles on the internet, watch a few youtube vids, order stuff on Amazon occassionally, check stock portfolios and send and receive emails.

So just what is 64 bit going to do for me?

I think same as windows 32 bit and 64 bit

Posted via the Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
A 64 bit processor can address more than 32 gB of memory. That is the limit for a 32 bit processor.

Also, with a vastly larger CPU architecture, it can do math and graphics much faster than a 32 bit processor.

So, down to the basics, it is speed and memory capabilities.

Parham Goudarzi

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Not most of the developers have optimized their applications for 64 bit processors , So for now, not most of them run on 64 bit processors.

Posted via the Android Central App

Slingshot54

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I think not. a 32 bit processor can address 4GB of RAM. The LG G3 and some others offer 3GB of RAM. They could prolly squeeze some more out of it. But by going to 64 bit architecture you can address 4GB times 4GB of storage. No doubt no one is going to sell a phone like that but a 10GB RAM phone, sure. This will allow you to have more apps in memory without invoking the LRU algorithms (least recently used) which throw away the oldest memory resident apps and make room for the new ones you have just asked for. More memory is goodness.