My Dad's had the S5 for about 2 months and recently it's been seriously overheating. Seriously. When it's sitting not doing anything, it gets incredibly hot and he has to take it out of his pocket. Even with Wifi, Mobile Data, Bluetooth, GPS turned off it still does that. Anyone know why? Is it a hardware problem???
    09-08-2014 11:35 AM
    Overheating in standby is usually an indicator of a hardware issue, and it could be the battery overheating (faulty). It is, whether you choose to call me paranoid or an over reactor or not, a fire hazard if this is the case.

If this is a new phone I'd just take it in for Warranty repair/replacement.

But if you want to try and debug this, check the battery life report. Is there an app that's taking up too much battery? Overheating from software would only happen if there's a CPU-intensive app running in the background.
    09-08-2014 11:44 AM
    Battery usage is mostly Cell Standby or Screen Idle. I have a feeling it's a hardware fault
    09-08-2014 11:51 AM
    Yup, in that case it most certainly looks like it. If you have another S5 available or a spare battery, I would try switching them and see if the problem persists (if it doesn't at least you'll know it's the battery and not the phone, something much easily and quickly replaced). Another quick test is to place the battery on a flat surface (try both sides). If it wobbles or if you can visibly see bumps or round surfaces on the battery, then it's beginning to bloat and it's a very clear indicator of a faulty battery (and one I'd recommend not to keep using).
    09-08-2014 11:53 AM
    There are no noticeable bumps. I will try a different battery. Thanks.
    09-08-2014 11:57 AM
    Maybe the programs are trying to update/sync? My device overheat in standby if I don't connect it to internet for a day.
    09-08-2014 11:57 AM
    If under warranty ask for a replacement battery and see where the battery was manufactered. Ask for a replacement and make sure it was not manufactured in Vietnam as many batteries from there have produced the same, problem as yours.

Would be interested to know where your battery was manufactured.
    09-08-2014 11:58 AM
    Definitely not. I have cleared memory on the RAM, turned off every connection, tried putting it on flight mode. Still persists.
    09-08-2014 11:58 AM
    Will try that. Thanks.
    09-08-2014 12:08 PM
    Is there any notifications from the o/s that it's overheating? I thought there was some message available for that. Anyone know?
    09-08-2014 01:38 PM
    I just installed an app from the Playstore that reads the battery temperature. You may want to do the same and see what it reads.
    09-08-2014 02:01 PM
    Is there any notifications from the o/s that it's overheating? I thought there was some message available for that. Anyone know?
    This will only turn up if the system reaches critical temperatures. Most of the time, these are higher than 'comfortable' temperatures. So while the phone thinks it's still within temp range and its components are safe, you might feel it's too hot or uncomfortable to touch.
    jmagid51 likes this.
    09-08-2014 02:35 PM
    Overheating in standby is usually an indicator of a hardware issue, and it could be the battery overheating (faulty). It is, whether you choose to call me paranoid or an over reactor or not, a fire hazard if this is the case.

If this is a new phone I'd just take it in for Warranty repair/replacement.

But if you want to try and debug this, check the battery life report. Is there an app that's taking up too much battery? Overheating from software would only happen if there's a CPU-intensive app running in the background.
    Wont the phone report that the battery/hardware is bad? even though i still dont think that a phone battery can catch fire ?
    09-09-2014 03:37 AM
    My Dad's had the S5 for about 2 months and recently it's been seriously overheating. Seriously. When it's sitting not doing anything, it gets incredibly hot and he has to take it out of his pocket. Even with Wifi, Mobile Data, Bluetooth, GPS turned off it still does that. Anyone know why? Is it a hardware problem???
    Tell your dad to check whats getting hot? maybe take the battery out and place it on the table the spin it is it swollen/round??? if so time for a new battery. anyway luckly its a galaxy so a swollen battery wont break everything worst case the back pops off witch you can just put back on
    09-09-2014 03:40 AM
    It's pretty much the whole of the back being warm. The screen gets a little warm as well.
    09-09-2014 01:18 PM
    Can you post the battery temperature when you say it's hot? Just curious .....
    09-09-2014 01:47 PM
    Can you post the battery temperature when you say it's hot? Just curious .....
    probably 38C+
    09-09-2014 02:43 PM
    Before going wild thinking that the phone has a hard ware issue . Clear the system Cache .
    Turn off the device.
    Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
    Volume Up key
    Home key
    Power key
    When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
    When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
    Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
    Press the Power key to select.
    When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
    Press the Power key to restart the device.

I've found that usually when my phones start running hot its' a misbehaving app . Or the phone is trying to D/L something in the back ground and it needs permission . Usually you'll see a lot of battery drain at the same time when it gets hot like that . Good luck . I just got the update for my S5 and while it was updating the phone got up to 41c.
    09-09-2014 06:44 PM