01-25-2018 03:54 PM
169 12345 ...
    I have been having this issue too. I am on SPRINT so I can confirm it's not just T-Mobile. I got my S5 a few months ago and the problem started immediately. After a week I had the phone replaced and it's been fine, until last week when it did it once. I thought it was a fluke, but then it did it again tonight. As of right now, it's updating to Lillipop and I have a new SDCard for it. We'll see what happens.
    02-09-2015 01:09 AM
    I had this issue to. My S5 was restarting 6 or 7 times a day. Oh my was it frustrating um? I've had the phone since april also. I can say this my phone hasn't restarted in about 2 months. The problem is completely solved. Yes it may be an app an yes someone said unmount and remount sd pull battery and sim also. I can tell u wat I didnt do I didnt replace the battery sim or sd same parts as the day I got it. And ive never factory reset the phone so unmount remount everything and check your apps.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-09-2015 05:34 AM
    Yes and let me add I was using CleanMaster and that may have been the culprit those cleaning apps and battery apps are completely useless on a S5. Once I got rid of that my phone ran a lot smoother I hope this helps.

02-09-2015 05:39 AM
    This is my thoughts, as I'm reading it seems to be just t-mobile.
    It isn't limited to T-Mobile; I have the same isdue with Sprint.
    02-09-2015 10:50 AM
    I've had this same problem since October when I first got my Galaxy S5. Just about everything that has been suggested or chronicled here, I too have tried.
    This is on Verizon. Just last week I went into their store and it just so happened that Lollipop had been released for Verizon-Android phones that morning. After upgrading to Lollipop, for two days it all seemed like it was working fine and then... reboot time again. I've reformatted, then replaced, then removed the sd card, all to no avail. I did a factory reset, and removed all 3rd party apps. I then was running in Safe Mode for a while and, alas, it rebooted. I, too, thought it might be WiFi related so I disabled WiFi; again it rebooted. Sometimes just sitting at my desk with the phone on my belt, it reboots. Driving my car listening to a podcast, it reboots. Formulating an email, it reboots. This happens probably three or four times a day most days, although occasionally it might skip a day or two. I'm now asking the fellow that helped me at Verizon to look into having it replaced. There are two co-workers in our office that have the same Galaxy S5 phone but without the rebooting. I assume I got a lemon and I'm hoping Verizon will have mercy on my soul.
    dwilts likes this.
    02-09-2015 02:28 PM
    So I got my S5 in June, and lately have been having the same problem. It only happened occasionally at first, maybe once a week. It's started happening once every day or two now, and it's rather annoying. One thing I've also noticed that's started recently, is that the WiFi stops working randomly. I'll be connected to the wifi, but randomly have no connection. I work in IT at a hospital, and I had it connected to the guest network, and at first I thought the guest network was down, and I started troubleshooting it, before I realized it was my phone. There was no indication of any problem. I disabled wifi, reeenabled it, it reconnected, and everything worked fine. This is in addition to the fairly regular stuttering using bluetooth audio in my car. I wonder if maybe there is a firmware or hardware problem with the wifi/bluetooth combo chip used in the S5.
    02-09-2015 10:03 PM
    I'm not sure if this will help a more savvy person, but it is, at least, on MY phone, something to do with LOCATION.
    I have a Tmobile S5, with Tons of software apps (all from google store). I too have this problem BUT,
    at Home and at Away locations ONLY. At work, no problem.
    Work is Downtown Urban. no problems, no shut offs, no reboots, plugged into a samsung plug with samsung cable. (nromally between 9 am - 6 pm)
    Away is a small office/apartment about 5 blocks away, use S5 as a wireless hot spot. not a samsung plug or cable, but seldom reboots. (between 7 pm-8am)
    Home is suburban, about 11 miles away from downtown urban, use wireless calling inside, rebooted every 5 minutes to every 6 hours. (between 7 pm- 8 am)
    Worse, when far away from wireless router.(Verizon Fios)
    The problem on mine also seems to seldom occur in automobile, or anywhere in city. Not unheard of, but seldom.
    It also seems to occur MORE often, when battery is lower. So, what do these things: Power, Location, wifi - indicate?
    Any tech savvy guys there have a clue? (sounds to me like it is several different things, but there must be some reason why the home is the place, time, environment that causes the most reboots.)
    gabriel_sins likes this.
    02-12-2015 03:48 PM
    Had same (Poland, Tmobile), reseting phone to factory settings helped me :o
    02-12-2015 07:17 PM
    Factory reset or update firmware
    02-12-2015 07:49 PM
    My Verizon S5 constantly reboots. When I click the menu button twice, it shows all active applications. I had "active" applications from days and several reboots before. The problem seems to be that the device is out of memory so it reboots which should close the applications. However, since updating to Android 5, the applications are not closing even after reboot and are showing active. So until there is a fix, you have to hit the menu bar twice from the home screen and select close all, then reboot your device and it will stop rebooting until it runs out of memory again. Then repeat. Knowing Google, Samsung, and Verizon, it may be 6 months before a patch is issued.
    dwilts likes this.
    02-15-2015 12:29 AM
    I had this problem show up on my TMo S5, uninstalled a number of apps but didn't want to take the step to factory reset. I noticed that my issue was only happening at home where I was set up for 5Ghz wifi. I deleted the connection and connected to my standard 2.4Ghz SSID and the problem vanished. It's as if the Samsung firmware has a problem with the 5Ghz radio. Would very much like if someone else could proof this and see if they have the same result.
    02-15-2015 09:14 AM
    ATT S5 Active on 4.4.4 here. I've been having the same problem occasionally (a few times a week) since I got this phone (new) in November. Two days ago the problem got worse. My phone has been rebooting every 2 minutes or so while I'm browsing the internet, making calls, etc. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, it constantly reboots without fail (and drains the battery while it's doing it).
    The issue does not stop in Safe Mode, but does stop when I remove the SIM card, so I went to the ATT store to replace the SIM. That fixed the problem for about an hour, but when I got home, it started rebooting again same as before.
    I tried clearing the cache and doing a factory reset. That didn't help either. I now have no apps running outside of the ATT and Samsung crap.
    I went back to the ATT store and strangely, it stopped rebooting while I was in the store. But as soon as I got home, it started again.
    Thanks for the tip about the Wi-Fi. I have disabled Wi-Fi and so far, no rebooting. WTF does that mean? It's driving me crazy and I'm ready to smash this stupid phone.
    I will update later with any new insights.
    02-17-2015 07:18 AM
    i had these issues for the last 1 week.

battery drained super fast, i tried to charge it but it took 15mins to get to 1%!!! and when i on it, it will go to 0% again within minutes.
    I realised alot of background apps running even without me activating it. i suspect its Clean Master doing the trick. making us more dependant on it.
    i since reset to factory settings, the battery problem is inda solved, but, the phone still restarts by itself without any activation by me. i can just leave it on the table and the next moment i hear the start up music being played.
    this happens about 4 to 5 times a day.
    i also suspect its the Wifi fault. I realised recently the wifi of my hp keep connecting and disconnecting and connecting again and again.

Wonder what could be the reason. After restoring to factory settings i did not install Clean master again.
    this restarting is a pain in the a**

yong meng
    02-17-2015 08:31 AM
    I am having the same issues. Sprint said to go back to manufacturer reset. Done. still happened. said too many pictures. ok, removed. need more memory, ok added new card. so now they blame on the apps. I have the same apps I did with my last phone and never had a problem. I am considering getting an iPhone.
    02-27-2015 10:27 AM
    Problem Solved. I went back to 4.4.4 and everything is fine now.
    03-01-2015 11:12 PM
    Didnt read yhe the comments but if you have any type of cleaner battery doctor cm cleaner or clean master delete reboot to recovery wipe dalvic partition clear all browsers cache and history restart. Them cleaners efff ya phone up overheats it andtoo much b.s the only 1 thtz good is sd maid if tht doesn't work you have a bad app.

From experience my phone use to restart randomly did all tht haven't had a restart in months hope this helps

03-02-2015 08:58 AM
    I have the same issue, but get this: it ONLY happens in one location. In my case, it's the gym I work out at. And it's not always consistent. I was listening to Pandora and it kept shutting off and then turning on. I thought it was getting too warm. So I shut down Pandora and put the phone down. It still kept doing it. This stops when I leave the gym. I think it might be something beyond the phone. Is it possible that a electro magnetic source might be affecting the phones?
    03-27-2015 12:49 PM
    mine seems to be very hot when it restarts, but I don't know if the heat is before or during the restart
    03-27-2015 02:07 PM
    I have this same issue, however it didn't start until recently. I had Samsung replace my phone because Lollipop killed the battery. Now my battery life is great, but randomly the screen will go black, the phone will vibrate twice, and then it will restart itself.
    03-31-2015 11:21 PM
    Ah, I think I've found the issue: two days ago I was back at the gym. My phone turned off and on about 5 times. The guy next to me asked if it was TMobile as he recognized the ring tone. I said yes, and I told him about it turning off and on. He also had an android and it was doing the same to him. He figured it was the facilities wifi (they have two). For the last two days, I disabled my wifi (killing my data plan) and I've had no problems.
    04-01-2015 09:13 AM
    I solved this problem by replace a battery... suggest everyone here don't charge the S5 overnight.
    SM-G900H from Vietnam.
    04-06-2015 06:25 AM
    I bought a new S5 last week and right out of the box it would reset itself every 4-6 hours at first then every hour or more often.
    It did not matter what apps were on, it reset itself even at night. Wifi-off, location-off, factory reset, clean cache, no memory card in it, pull battery out, none of this helped.
    I rooted , installed wanam xposed, checked the option to prevent reboots. this did not work either
    I updated to lollipop, then factory reset, then clear cache, no apps installed, still it did not help at all.

Went to warranty at samsung service and they reinstalled kitkat, but it kept on rebooting itself, with no other error.
    Went back to warranty service and after testing they replaced the pcb (basically the whole insides of the phone). now it works well, no more reboots.

I was a bit afraid because after rooting the knox warranty became void ( the infamous 0x1 efuse) an I have read that this means the warranty of the phone is gone but the samsung people never mentioned it and now with a new PCB the knox warranty is all good again (0x0).

Therefore you people should maybe try the service option first, because in my case it was a hardware fault and trying all sorts of workarounds could have voided my warranty due to this horrible knox seal they have in new phones.
    04-15-2015 01:26 AM
    Hello everyone
    04-15-2015 06:30 PM
    I manually re-flashed handset from my pc it seems to have fix the software issue.
    04-15-2015 06:32 PM
    If it is not an app or your SD card. I downloaded lollipop to my pc and re-flashed my phone manually with odin. This seems to have fixed the issue. You my want to try that because sometime the auto push from the cell provider gets messed up so it does not installe correctly. Hope this helps.
    04-15-2015 06:42 PM
169 12345 ...