01-25-2018 03:54 PM
169 ... 23456 ...
tools
    If it is not an app or your SD card. I downloaded lollipop to my pc and re-flashed my phone manually with odin. This seems to have fixed the issue. You my want to try that because sometime the auto push from the cell provider gets messed up so it does not installe correctly. Hope this helps.
    04-15-2015 06:47 PM
    I have been having this issue too. I am on SPRINT so I can confirm it's not just T-Mobile. I got my S5 a few months ago and the problem started immediately. After a week I had the phone replaced and it's been fine, until last week when it did it once. I thought it was a fluke, but then it did it again tonight. As of right now, it's updating to Lillipop and I have a new SDCard for it. We'll see what happens.
    If it is not an app or your SD card. I downloaded lollipop to my pc and re-flashed my phone manually with odin. This seems to have fixed the issue. You my want to try that because sometime the auto push from the cell provider gets messed up so it does not installe correctly. Hope this helps.
    04-15-2015 06:48 PM
    I have had my galaxy S5 since April (a couple weeks after it was released)
    My phone has worked flawlessly until mid august.. it has been having this bad habit of restarting it self when I am using it... It is kind of frustrating because I do not know how to replicate this problem and I have been trying plenty of solutions that I have read online.

Things I have done > Factory Reset: I did a factory reset and while I was uploading contacts through kies it restarted
    I have used another launcher: it still restarted while I was web browsing. ( did not download any apps for a couple days and problem still persisted randomly due to web browsing)
    Turned off Google Sync: It seemed to have solved the problem because it did not restart for like 2 days, but while using Pandora it lagged the music and it ended up restarting again.
    Cleared the cache/cookies: did nothing and still randomly restarted.
    Removed all facebook applications: problem still persist after a while of use.

It has been frustrating because it also restarts during important phone calls as well... it is just so random I cannot take it in to At&t because I have no idea how to show the problem. I am on contract so I really want to figure something out since it has not even been 2 years.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, thanks!
    04-15-2015 06:49 PM
    I'm on O2 and my phone does the same too
    It seems like the only carrier that was mentioned was t-mobile. (which I also have) could this be some of the T-Mobile bloatware/customization?
    04-18-2015 06:37 AM
    Hi I have had the same issue, after my phone kept shutting down and restarting, i could work it out. Optus gave me a new S5 and the same thing is happening. I noticed when i put it in my pocket and sat down it was happening, so started trying things, and on further investigation, I found that if I press on the middle of the screen, screen the phone restarts, I tried when it was on charge and it wouldnt do it. Seems only when it is on standby it happens.
    Cheers,

TG
    04-19-2015 09:11 PM
    It is happening to me on Verizon as well. However, now that I think about it, it only started happening after an update to my operating system about 3 months ago...
    04-22-2015 01:27 PM
    I am not using any SD Card in my phone. Also I have no problem with any application. I have also flashed the fresh OS with ODIN and still the problem is there, my phone still restarts randomly. I can confirm that flashing with ODIN is just wastage of time it has not fixed the restarting problem at all. I purchased my Galaxy S5 directly from Samsung in UK, and it is not locked to any network provider and standard BTU firmware on it.
    04-23-2015 05:32 PM
    Mine will have that issue too, where it goes black, vibrates twice then restarts. I've kept my eye on it, and it'll reset regardless of what's happening. I could be browsing on Chrome, using the Google Play store (today's example), listening to podcasts, or it may just be sitting on the desk. There is no rhyme or reason why it should be restarting like this, as far as I can tell. I had the memory card in another phone and it worked fine. However, I formatted the card before I put it into the Galaxy.

One piece of software I've been suspicious of is Clean Master. Anyone else?
    04-25-2015 10:43 PM
    that's funny that you mentioned clean master I have similar issues....bye bye clean master welcome back advanced task killer
    04-25-2015 10:46 PM
    I am not using any SD Card in my phone. Also I have no problem with any application. I have also flashed the fresh OS with ODIN and still the problem is there, my phone still restarts randomly. I can confirm that flashing with ODIN is just wastage of time it has not fixed the restarting problem at all. I purchased my Galaxy S5 directly from Samsung in UK, and it is not locked to any network provider and standard BTU firmware on it. I also want to add that I am using lollipop and I am using the most latest firmware. I am also not using anything like clean master. But self restarting is still there.
    04-26-2015 06:18 AM
    I am not using any SD Card in my phone. Also I have no problem with any application. I have also flashed the fresh OS with ODIN and still the problem is there, my phone still restarts randomly. I can confirm that flashing with ODIN is just wastage of time it has not fixed the restarting problem at all. I purchased my Galaxy S5 directly from Samsung in UK, and it is not locked to any network provider and standard BTU firmware on it. I also want to add that I am using lollipop and I am using the most latest firmware. I am also not using anything like clean master. But self restarting is still there.
    04-26-2015 06:53 AM
    Does the phone randomly restart when running in Safe Mode?

See #1.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide for instructions and video on using Safe Mode.
    04-26-2015 08:24 AM
    My random reboot frequency is quite low. That is once in a day. I cannot keep on running phone in Safe Mode for whole day.I have not rooted my phone also I have not installed any application out of Play Store. I have not authorized installation of apk files on the phone at all. Also I do not agree on testing phone in Safe Mode, how can an application from Official Play Store can make the phone reboot. Also it seems like a heat problem and these problem only occur when the phone is under real load. I think there is some problem with the SOC / hardware of the phone it seems like a Samsung hardware fault. In the Safe Mode there is very low load on the CPU, RAM and other resources of phone, hence it is not good for testing this fault. I don't think that android is made so rubbish that any application from Play Store can make it force reboot.
    04-30-2015 08:06 AM
    My random reboot frequency is quite low. That is once in a day. I can not keep on running in phone in Safe Mode for whole day.I have not rooted my phone also I have not installed any application out of Play Store. I have not authorized installation of apk files on the phone at all. Also I do not agree on testing phone in Safe Mode, how can an application from Official Play Store can make the phone reboot. Also it seems like a heat problem and these problem only occur when the phone is under real load. I think there is some problem with the SOC / hardware of the phone it seems like a Samsung hardware fault. In the Safe Mode there is very low load on the CPU, RAM and other resources of phone, hence it is not good for testing this fault. I don't think that android is made so rubbish that any application from Play Store can make it force reboot.
    What firmware exactly, as per #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, are you currently running on your G900F phone?
    04-30-2015 08:48 AM
    My phone's model is SM-G900F
    AP: G900FXXU1BOD3
    CP: G900FXXU1BOD3
    CSC: G900FOXA1BOD3
    If it is correct as I noted it sometime ago.
    04-30-2015 12:05 PM
    04-30-2015 12:05 PM
    I am also on that firmware which is the latest and highest changelist from Samsung to-date. No restart issues for myself or reported by others on this firmware. Have you, as you have no apps on the phone, tried a Factory Data Reset?
    04-30-2015 12:27 PM
    I am also on that firmware which is the latest and highest changelist from Samsung to-date. No restart issues for myself or reported by others on this firmware. Have you, as you have no apps on the phone, tried a Factory Data Reset?
    Yes I have tried Factory Data Reset thousands of time. Wiped both Data and Cache from Recovery Mode, but phone is still restarting itself randomly.
    04-30-2015 12:29 PM
    Yes I have tried Factory Data Reset thousands of time. Wiped both Data and Cache from Recovery Mode, but phone is still restarting itself randomly.
    As the phone is running a stock Samsung firmware, has never been rooted, has Knox warranty intact and is still under its 2 year manufacturers warranty, you should take it to your nearest Samsung Service Point and explain the situation to them.
    04-30-2015 12:38 PM
    Hi all,

I've had my S5 for a week now and all was good until this morning when, since about 6.20am it has restarted of its own accord at least 15 times.

Sometimes it in doing something, sometimes it is idle, and once or twice it restarts and crashes out as I try to log-in.

It has done this whilst using BBC Iplayer, Samsung Music, Messages, Internet (IE) and whilst downloading update from 4.4.2 to Lollypop. It has an SD card in.

I am going to see if it is any more stable after the update, and if not try a reset, then a new SD card as people suggest here.

***Some minutes later****

So once the Lollypop update occurred it took me several goes to update Google play since the phone kept resetting although I am not sure if this the phone resetting as part of the post upgrade configuration. However, it has now hung... and crash out again.

Now it is telling me that it is upgrading apps and has let me use SMs without crashing out.

**A minutes later**
    Crashed out again. So removed SD card. No difference

Factory reset. Set-up wizard stopped working and then it reset itself whilst asking my log-into a Google a/c. Upon restart it had kept the wireless settings, but again hung and then restarted when asking for Google a/c email address.

At this point I think I've tried all reasonable things and...(its has restarted as I type this)...will be walking over to the Vodafone store at lunchtime.

Thanks for the informative forum.

Matt
    05-15-2015 03:36 AM
    I have the same issue
    I noticed that my phone (randomly!!) restarts at Midnight, 6h00 AM, 7h30 AM...
    Just like a planned task

So I decided to try a little something
    I created a Samsung Account
    Open Galaxy Apps and let it updates everything
    Setup Email software (even if I'm not using it)

So far, 8 hours without a restart, still waiting, but I tought I could share my results
    06-08-2015 02:49 PM
    I've been having the same problem as everyone else here, and I may have accidentally stumbled upon a solution! It's been extremely annoying--every 20 seconds my screen would freeze for a split-second, flash white, then restart. I have T-Mobile; it seems like everyone with this problem does. This led me to believe the source of the problem was our phones' network connection, so I turned off my phone's wifi and activated airplane mode. After upwards of 10 minutes, my phone was behaving normally. This was encouraging; previously, my phone would restart before I was able to unlock it half the time! I tentatively turned off airplane mode and reactivated my wifi, fully expecting the problem to reappear. However, as of yet, it hasn't randomly restarted once. So, for all of you out there with this problem, try turning off your wifi and turning on airplane mode for a while (15 minutes did it for me), then turn your wifi back on. Hopefully you'll have the same success I did.

On a side note, my phone wouldn't let me increase the brightness at one point because it said the device was overheating. Maybe this is related?
    06-15-2015 10:01 AM
    As I told earlier my phone was randomly restarting once or twice in a day. I tried everything from wiping factor data reset, reinstalling official firmware using odin, tested my battery by revolving it on the flat table, tested battery terminals, nothing solved my problem. Ultimately I gave up and went to Samsung Service Centre in London (30 miles drive). I told them everything they tested my battery there and battery was fine according to their tests, 2+1/2 hours were left since their closing time, they said that they need to replace the motherboard of the phone and it can not be done in that much time. They told me that I will loose all my data and I am responsible myself for backup of data they will not do any backup for me, they also told me that I will loose screen protector on my screen as they have to open the screen. They asked me to leave the phone and come back again when they will call me which will be some time in next day. So I left my phone with battery with them. Next day I went to collect my phone. They said that they have repaired my phone, that is replaced the motherboard of the phone, surprisingly the screen protector was still intact, however none of the dust particles were left around the edges of screen that were there, you will understand what I am talking about if you own Galaxy S5, so most probably the screen was opened. Also the phone was in full data reset state like new phone. The service was done extremely professionally, I mean there is no mark or scratch or ding or any sign on the screws of phone from where I can tell that phone was repaired. The firmware of the phone was also freshly installed according to them.
    Anyways I am using my phone from last 20 days and it never restarted itself during that time. It seems that it was a hardware fault.
    It costed me 60+ miles of travel, a lot of time and parking charges It seems samsung have quality issues but I have faced dead pixel and screen bleeding issues with apple in the past as well
    ironass likes this.
    06-24-2015 04:46 AM
    Interesting. Did you have any sort of warranty left?

I've noticed it's gotten better but still a sluggish mess of a phone at times.

Just waiting till the iPhone 6s with 700a comes out then I'm done with Android and Samsung.
    06-24-2015 06:10 AM
    I have purchased this phone new, 2 months ago, so yes there is plenty of warranty left.
    I am not saying that apple is a bad, however I had faced dead pixel and back light bleeding issues in their products as well.
    Good luck with your search for problem free product
    06-25-2015 06:11 AM
169 ... 23456 ...