01-25-2018 03:54 PM
169 ... 34567
tools
    Try going into recover mode (Turn off phone then hold power button,volume up, and home button) Then using volume button select Clear Cache ( some models say Partion) then reboot

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-25-2015 08:13 AM
    Mine has been recently resetting as well. After reviewing past comments, I continued through the same steps with no avail. I checked the RAM usage and that was not the problem since I had plenty of room left. I do remember when I had an iPhone that it would shut off at 30% battery for no reason. The culprit was the craigslist app. Once I remembered this, I removed the app from my galaxy s5. We will see if this helps at all.
    -Sprint network Samsung Galaxy s5
    06-25-2015 02:34 PM
    I had this issue starting last night with my S5. Have had my device for a couple of years. It ran out of battery last night and when I plugged it in to charge and powered it on (while charging), it started rebooting about every minute. I didn't even have time to get into the settings and do a factory reset. Eventually hard reset the phone (hold home and up volume while powering up) and reset the phone that way. So far, so good. I'll see if once I restore some of my data, the cycle starts again.
    07-02-2015 08:27 AM
    Why note 4 freezes then goes black and vibrates 2 times and then goes to start up gets to the Samsung screen thing on the boot and restarts and vibrates again and does it for like 30m at a time and then works and maybe 1m later I does it again but most of the time when I'm out it doesn't do it but when I'm at home wanting to use it it restarts should I take it back to best buy
    07-16-2015 07:36 AM
    I recently bought an S5. (April 2015) SM-G901F running Android 4.4.4
    I have noticed that the phone regularly resets for no reason.
    It is random so very hard to debug. Recently every time I took a photo it reset and no photo.
    I followed various suggestions on this forum and if I turn on "Do not keep activities" in developer mode the frequency of resets decreases but it would still reset twice a day.

I spoke with Samsung who were reluctant to acknowledge the resetting issue but very quick to recommend Lollipop. They agreed 5.0.0 was a mess but that Vodafone would not push that and I should upgrade. Coincidentally when I checked for upgrades it said 5.0 was available. No indication as to what version.

I upgraded OTA 3 days ago with what turned out to be 5.02 and the phone has not reset since. The uptime in "about device" is the indicator of random resetting. The phone if anything appears to be performing better and I have not had any noticeable battery impairment. I am guessing the issue in Kit Kat 4.4.4 is that applications were updating that had been modified to support Lollipop and with lots of new APIs etc in Lollipop something is not backward compatible and the phone throws an exception and resets. I bought the S5 after the S6 was released as I reckon better phone so hopefully the upgrades will continue to come. (Voda Ireland)
    ironass likes this.
    07-17-2015 06:33 AM
    ATT S5 Active on 4.4.4 here. I've been having the same problem occasionally (a few times a week) since I got this phone (new) in November. Two days ago the problem got worse. My phone has been rebooting every 2 minutes or so while I'm browsing the internet, making calls, etc. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, it constantly reboots without fail (and drains the battery while it's doing it).
    The issue does not stop in Safe Mode, but does stop when I remove the SIM card, so I went to the ATT store to replace the SIM. That fixed the problem for about an hour, but when I got home, it started rebooting again same as before.
    I tried clearing the cache and doing a factory reset. That didn't help either. I now have no apps running outside of the ATT and Samsung crap.
    I went back to the ATT store and strangely, it stopped rebooting while I was in the store. But as soon as I got home, it started again.
    Thanks for the tip about the Wi-Fi. I have disabled Wi-Fi and so far, no rebooting. WTF does that mean? It's driving me crazy and I'm ready to smash this stupid phone.
    I will update later with any new insights.
    New insight: I disabled the "Smart Network Switch" option under Wi-Fi and haven't had the problem since. When I enable it, the phone will reboot within 10 minutes. Can anyone test this and see if it works for them? I saw someone else had noticed an issue with the 5GHz band - maybe related???
    07-17-2015 05:12 PM
    hey every one
    luckly I dont have galaxy s 5, but my wife does. and same rebooting problems as well.
    it starts rebooting after some time and after upgrading from 4.4.2 to android 5.0. the first idea was to wipe cache partition from boot menu, didnt help. after that factory reset. didnt help. we removed music and almost all installed apps, still it rebooting. we revomed sd card... same. tried to turn off the mobile data and the wi-fi. dosent helping. I even flashed the phone via odin 3.09 to stock rom 4.4.2. the phone rebooted even of the first sceen of chosing lang. seems to like it manufactoring broblem. in my opinion there is a problem with ram memory or with the cpu. its for sure have nothing to do with apps or android version.
    I hope ive helped to some one and maybe answered on few questions... if some one have a solution for this let us know.
    07-18-2015 07:19 AM
    hey every one
    luckly I dont have galaxy s 5, but my wife does. and same rebooting problems as well.
    it starts rebooting after some time and after upgrading from 4.4.2 to android 5.0. the first idea was to wipe cache partition from boot menu, didnt help. after that factory reset. didnt help. we removed music and almost all installed apps, still it rebooting. we revomed sd card... same. tried to turn off the mobile data and the wi-fi. dosent helping. I even flashed the phone via odin 3.09 to stock rom 4.4.2. the phone rebooted even of the first sceen of chosing lang. seems to like it manufactoring broblem. in my opinion there is a problem with ram memory or with the cpu. its for sure have nothing to do with apps or android version.
    I hope ive helped to some one and maybe answered on few questions... if some one have a solution for this let us know.
    Hello and welcome to Android Central diexiel!

Which model of Galaxy S5 does your wife have, as per #1.2 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide?
    07-18-2015 07:42 AM
    she using galaxy s 5 g900f and Ive flashed her pone to 4.4.2, celcom israel version
    ironass likes this.
    07-18-2015 08:05 AM
    she using galaxy s 5 g900f and Ive flashed her pone to 4.4.2, celcom israel version
    Try running the phone in, "Safe Mode",for a few hours, as per #1.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, to see if the phone restart issue persists.
    07-18-2015 08:11 AM
    hey there ironass ive tried to run the phone in safe mod, and soon as i start googleing and tried to use maps the phone double vibreted and rebooted... i hoped that it will be firmwere problem but seems to its a hardwere. because when the phone not in use hes not rebooting
    07-18-2015 11:07 AM
    hey there ironass ive tried to run the phone in safe mod, and soon as i start googleing and tried to use maps the phone double vibreted and rebooted... i hoped that it will be firmwere problem but seems to its a hardwere. because when the phone not in use hes not rebooting
    If it is a hardware problem, then it is not across the board with 60 million Galaxy S5's worldwide. After you Factory Data Reset your phone and prior to reinstalling apps and user settings, as per #2.5 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, did you check it out to see if it was still restarting? Also, does it restart if you remove the external SD card?
    07-18-2015 11:22 AM
    after factory reset and also after flashing after first boot on the first screen where you need to chose the langueg it rebbots few times... with and without sd card.
    there one option i didnt try, to flash and erase everything. but there is alot of photos on phone memmory.
    07-18-2015 12:26 PM
    after factory reset and also after flashing after first boot on the first screen where you need to chose the langueg it rebbots few times... with and without sd card.
    there one option i didnt try, to flash and erase everything. but there is alot of photos on phone memmory.
    I always recommend a Full Wipe with a Factory Data Reset, as per #2.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide.

See #2.1 of the guide for numerous methods of backing up your phone.
    07-18-2015 12:36 PM
    if you mean wipe data factory reset and wipe cache patition after flashing to another android version, I did it. i mean that i didnt try to fully format the internal storage because of the photos, but in my opinion it wount help.
    i`ll take the phone to the shop tommorow, it still under waranty, see what they have to say about.
    thx for yor help
    07-18-2015 12:51 PM
    if you mean wipe data factory reset and wipe cache patition after flashing to another android version, I did it. i mean that i didnt try to fully format the internal storage because of the photos, but in my opinion it wount help.
    i`ll take the phone to the shop tommorow, it still under waranty, see what they have to say about.
    thx for yor help
    I mean a Full Wipe of both the phone's internal and external storage as well as a Factory Data Reset. See the guide for instructions.
    07-18-2015 01:05 PM
    Mine will have that issue too, where it goes black, vibrates twice then restarts. I've kept my eye on it, and it'll reset regardless of what's happening. I could be browsing on Chrome, using the Google Play store (today's example), listening to podcasts, or it may just be sitting on the desk. There is no rhyme or reason why it should be restarting like this, as far as I can tell. I had the memory card in another phone and it worked fine. However, I formatted the card before I put it into the Galaxy.

One piece of software I've been suspicious of is Clean Master. Anyone else?
    Now that you said something about it. I've had the same problems, randomly restarting when I use it. But I also noticed that with mine, if it bumps against something with a little force, it restarts. I've had these problems since I downloaded cleanmaster, I've started to use the app more, now it's so bad that I'm lucky if my phone doesn't restart every half hour. Also, had anyone else's phone been overheating and batteey draining fast since the downloaded the app?
    07-19-2015 12:58 AM
    Now that you said something about it. I've had the same problems, randomly restarting when I use it. But I also noticed that with mine, if it bumps against something with a little force, it restarts. I've had these problems since I downloaded cleanmaster, I've started to use the app more, now it's so bad that I'm lucky if my phone doesn't restart every half hour. Also, had anyone else's phone been overheating and batteey draining fast since the downloaded the app?
    about overheating... since update to android 5.0 on g900f galaxy, the phone starts to overheat and drain battery faster, also the random rebooting.
    bay the way I flashed the phone to previous version 4.4.2, wiped every thing and factory reset guest what it rebooted few times yesterday and today it worked perfectly without any random rebooting. I am talking about my wife phone and I asked her not to install to many applications only facebook, moovit, whatsapp, and few games. still the phone is heating but not like it was on android 5.0, but working stable. (first day)
    witch android version you using ?
    07-19-2015 03:56 PM
    I've been having the same problem as everyone else here, and I may have accidentally stumbled upon a solution! It's been extremely annoying--every 20 seconds my screen would freeze for a split-second, flash white, then restart. I have T-Mobile; it seems like everyone with this problem does. This led me to believe the source of the problem was our phones' network connection, so I turned off my phone's wifi and activated airplane mode. After upwards of 10 minutes, my phone was behaving normally. This was encouraging; previously, my phone would restart before I was able to unlock it half the time! I tentatively turned off airplane mode and reactivated my wifi, fully expecting the problem to reappear. However, as of yet, it hasn't randomly restarted once. So, for all of you out there with this problem, try turning off your wifi and turning on airplane mode for a while (15 minutes did it for me), then turn your wifi back on. Hopefully you'll have the same success I did.

On a side note, my phone wouldn't let me increase the brightness at one point because it said the device was overheating. Maybe this is related?
    Wow thanks, you saved my Phone (no T-Mobile!)

I had exactly the same issue, it kept resetting after 10 seconds on the lock screen. I tried the following:
    - Different batteries
    - Cleared cache in recovery mode
    - Flashed older firmwares (5.x)
    - Factory reset in recovery mode

My Phone even kept resetting at the welcome screen (after factory reset). When not entering WIFI details, and disabling my 5Ghz network, i could pass the welcome screen. Immediately turned on airplane mode. Turned back on WIFI after 10 minutes, and it still runs!

Now let's figure out whether it has issues with my 5Ghz network.

Edit: okay, i think i got the problem. My battery died the last night it was syncing (probably). When i reinstall using my google backup, it freaks out again. Clean install (install as new device, don't reset backups), it works fine.

Probably a WIFI error or problem during the synchronisation. Still works fine now, even on 5Ghz.
    07-20-2015 04:21 PM
    Hi guys. I've been using my s5 for a month now and only problem i have found out is that when i'm trying to check my heartbeat the hrm seems to crash and about 30sec later my phone restarts and goes to some sort of a bootloop. So the only thing i can do is remove the battery and try again. Factory reset or booting in a safe mode won't help because it's not happening every time i check my pulse.
    07-20-2015 04:53 PM
    Its gap between the contact of the battery and the contacts of the phone. Place some piece of aluminium foil ( or anything else thin enough ) between the lower edge of the battery and the phone to truly connect the contacts and than your good to go.
    07-23-2015 03:38 AM
    My phone keeps on doing that too. It restarts itself but only when at sleep mode it will auto restart itself. Tried safe mode but still auto restart when at sleep.

Any solutions to this problem?
    Samsung grand prime user

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-28-2015 01:15 AM
    BIG CLUE ON POSSIBLE CAUSE!!!

Folks, I think I have an answer for this restarting problem- but I will need the help of others smarter than me to push this over the top and get us a solution.

I think the problem causing the rebooting is (Drum roll please...) >>Increased internal operating temperatures.<<
    Here is what leads me to believe that:

I have an ATT Samsug Galaxy S5 I bought about 1 month after the product was a "just released". I currently have it on ATT/Cricket. I NEVER had an unintended restart until about 4-5 months ago. Then, it started happening all the time. Sometimes within minutes of each other. No predictable pattern, no specific app use. Even happened when it was simply sitting on the charger "sleeping".

It was making me crazy.

I also noticed a few months ago, i started having incredible battery drain. What used to be 2 days to a charge, now would get chewed up in 1/2-1/3 of a day. Also it seem the phone case was getting awfully hot the last few months - and I NEVER noticed that before.

I tried installing clean Master and various battery protection apps, fast chargers etc. It seemed that the phone always getting warm to the touch - even the screen, which seemed weird.

The battery drain was annoying, but then the restarting began and made me crazy. I first noticed it while texting, then later on the phone, then on browser, and finally any time, any app.

I tried uninstalling Facebook - seemed to help, but not stop the restarts. Tried doing resets, changing default settings, eliminating suspicious apps etc etc. which helped some but still had the restarts.

Then an even happened which gave me the insight - I was at an outdoor location (musical event) where my band was performing. As usual, I put the phone away safe during th gig in a black fabric case with my wallet and watch. Because it was a hot day outdoors, I put in under a table.

When I came back, I saw the sun/shadows had shifted, and my black case was in the direct sun. I opened it, and the contents inside were hot. I turned on my phone and thankfully it started. But then it began to restart, and restart and restart. i felt the back case and it was burning up! I rushed it into the gift shop, into AC and pulled the back cover off, pulled the battery and put it under the AC vent until it was cool. Guess what? The restarting behavior vanished :-0

So here is what I think, but can not prove:

The latest version/update of Lolipop/ version 5 has an internal incompatibility with some of my pre-existing apps that allows them to "run wild" in the backround increasing device temp. When it senses a high temp it shuts down.

Other possibilities:

1) The temperature sensor is broken
    2) Battery temperature is the issue, not device temperature
    3) Battery is shorted causing the high temps
    4) Case is not allowing adequate ventilation (I have a Kraken Trident heavy duty case)
    5) Device itself was fried from a high temperature encounter
    6) Maybe it is shutting down for another reason and high temp is an effect but not cause.

Nevertheless - a temperature issue fits much of what I have read on this forum.

I have downloaded a temperature app and will see if I can document temps that are present at restart time. Then if we can find a critical temp, maybe we can find out why this is happening: software, hardware or battery.

Mull this over and see if it fits your personal observations with this restart problem. I await your observations and input.
    08-04-2015 04:27 PM
    Has anyone tried this to fix the thermal issue?

Google play services was quickly eating up the battery on my S5. Time will tell if it fixes my rebooting problem.
    search for Google Play Services battery drain fix
    08-19-2015 06:24 PM
    hey every one I've posted on this topic few things about my wife's galaxy s 5 g900f phone. like run in safe mod, full flash the android version to 4.4 from 5.0 tried also to wipe every thing and nothing helped. I thought that maybe this is hardware problem and not the software, and luckily her phone is still under warranty. so I bring the phone to the shop where she bought it, after a week I've get a call that this was hardware problem in the end and they now replacing the phones board (like mother board in pc). the phone should be ready in the week. and I hope it will be the end of the rebooting issue. so every one who still have warranty on the phone take it to the lab and don't wait.
    ironass likes this.
    08-20-2015 02:05 PM
169 ... 34567