Galaxy S5 is Randomly Restarting

JackNL

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Got this same problem with my S6. Brought my phone also (twice) to a Samsung repair center. Still have the same problems you're experiencing with your S5. :(

maltrae

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
New insight: I disabled the "Smart Network Switch" option under Wi-Fi and haven't had the problem since. When I enable it, the phone will reboot within 10 minutes. Can anyone test this and see if it works for them? I saw someone else had noticed an issue with the 5GHz band - maybe related???

Has anyone else tested this option yet? This continues to work for my phone.

Ali S5

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello all, So my S5 from Telus, started acting up last week, when it would get stuck with distorted line on the screen and restart, after trying a factory reset and basic troubleshooting steps I decided to take it to Samsung center. Where I was told that the phone needs a main board replacement, and although the phone is less than a year old, the warranty is void because I had rooted the phone in the past, and will cost me $450 to repair. Now since it makes no sense for me to spend so much for repairs, I am wondering if others, who were facing similar issue, had any luck getting it resolved without a motherboard replacement? Thanks

Southtomidwest

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
So my note 4 edge just started restarting for no reason last night. My phone would stay on for no more than 2 mins. I took the battery out that didn't help and the sim card didn't help. My memory was fine. So the short time I had my phone on I deleted the rhapsody app which I felt was taking up a lot of space because I download 100 plus songs to my phone. Soon as I did it my phone started working fine. So odd. I thought it was the upgrade I did 2 days ago but I'm sure it didn't help with the app. Rhapsody gave me problems on my old iPhone. Just don't download music to your phone no matter how much space you have. You can also try to delete the app that is taking up most of your space on your phone. Might be "clogging" the ram/memory.

Andrea Swart

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
It seems like the only carrier that was mentioned was t-mobile. (which I also have) could this be some of the T-Mobile bloatware/customization?

Nope. I'm on Verizon and have the exact same issue. At least once a day my NEW Samsung Galaxy S5 restarts at the most random times, always after a 5 minute black, unresponsive screen.

jtcromer

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
This is my thoughts, as I'm reading it seems to be just t-mobile.

I have AT&T. Mine restarts all the time. And I mean all the time.
It has gone through spells where it won't let me answer calls, as the slide to answer slides, but doesn't answer.
Then, I'll get poor battery charging alerts. Saying the battery is draining faster than it can charge. All of this started after the lollipop update. I'm suspicious of that.
Part of me thinks the carriers, phone companies add a little shenanigans to keep us buying phones due to all the bugs they plant in updating software...

Elizabeth Hallahan

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution to this problem? My phone just started doing this. I have been searching solutions online for the last few days but nothing seems to have worked. I am currently in the middle of a factory restore, but even through the restore process it has restarted several times. Sometimes it restarts randomly, other times the screen glitches and then it restarts. Occasionally, I cannot get it will not turn back on unless I pull the battery.

I know some people have mentioned this being a network issues, but I am on Bell Canada.

queequeg99

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
So, I've been getting email notifications for this thread since I first reported my issue way back in late 2014/early 2015. I thought I would follow up. Just a reminder: I bought my S5 through Verizon in September 2014 and the autorebooting started about two months after purchase. It was terrible and made the phone unusable. I did factory resets, bought new batteries, deleted everything, new Micro SD cards (or none at all), and finally did the full reset at a Samsung kiosk at Best Buy (damn thing autorebooted as I walked out the friggin' door).

I ended up sending the phone in to Samsung, who essentially replaced all of the operational pieces of the phone. Since then (well over one year), I can recall only a single unexpected reboot. So it is safe to say that I had a phone with a significant manufacturing defect that took some time to manifest itself. Kind of surprising given the steep bathroom defect curve. But my guess is that many of the persistent reboot issues are hardware related.

awiztheboss

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
So just using my mother's galaxy S5 i found that the first time it did it it told us that the android system unexpectedly stopped, so I clicked "ok" and the system restarted today was the second time, it just up and restarted i think it's because my mother just runs too many apps and doesn't close them so its kinda like it crashed

Lulu_Bear21

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Mine is doing the same exact thing.I checked the battery and the Microsd sim card.None were the problem.My phone won't even turn on anymore.It's just restart,restart,restart,restart.I really don't know what to do anymore. :'(

dukenukem7j

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
I have samsung S5 G900f and I upgraded to Android 6 with Odin. I faced occasional restart, after call, but in stand by also. I found that chrome may be a problem.So I have done the following and I hope that you will be lucky too.
1. Do the factory reset.
2. Uninstall and disable google chrome
At least try, it helped me, two days I do not have occasional restarts.
Best regards

mrvision86

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 mobile phone without any locks in Switzerland. It worked always fantastic. No problems. Recently, after the Operating System Update from 5 to 6 my phone started to reboot randomly.

So I went to the internet and checked possible soutions. These were:
- Try to reduce amount of apps
- Try to use it in safe mode
- Try to factory reset

Nothing worked. The phone still rebooted randomly.

How did I solve the problem?
I started to look for a custom rom. So I found a nice video on the internet. I did exactly what he said, from the beginning to the end.

After that I had a custom ROM on my smartphone. Since then, no more problems, no more reboots. Its important that u disable all the Auto-Updates. Googleplay Auto-Updates (googleplay, settings) as well as the other updates under android, settings, about device and android, settings, security. My Solution is a downgrade of the Operating system from 6 to 5 and disabling all the Update-Functionality.

In case u installed ur new custom rom and messed it up with the update. u have the problem of the notification "softwareupdate postponed". U cannot delete manually the downloaded 800 MB update-files, because android does not allow you that. How to get rid of it of the downloaded update-files ?
- Factory reset will do the job.

What else u need to do after the successful installation of the custom rom (Android 5) and the diabling of the OS/APPs, etc.?
- ur mobile data will not work, even tough ur mobile data is activated in the android menu. To fix that u have to call ur phone provider and ask for details. They will tell u some information u have to type in under settings, more networks, APN (Access Point Names).

After that ur phone is as good as in good old times. (Android 5). I use my phone now with Android 5, with no auto-updates and it just works amazing again. I don't want this update-crap anymore. It costed me a week. A friend of mine bought Samsung galaxy s7 because of that ****ty update.

Greets
mrvision

Last edited by a moderator:

Erran Andrews

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I have had my galaxy S5 since April (a couple weeks after it was released)
My phone has worked flawlessly until mid august.. it has been having this bad habit of restarting it self when I am using it... It is kind of frustrating because I do not know how to replicate this problem and I have been trying plenty of solutions that I have read online.

Things I have done > Factory Reset: I did a factory reset and while I was uploading contacts through kies it restarted
I have used another launcher: it still restarted while I was web browsing. ( did not download any apps for a couple days and problem still persisted randomly due to web browsing)
Turned off Google Sync: It seemed to have solved the problem because it did not restart for like 2 days, but while using Pandora it lagged the music and it ended up restarting again.
Cleared the cache/cookies: did nothing and still randomly restarted.
Removed all facebook applications: problem still persist after a while of use.

It has been frustrating because it also restarts during important phone calls as well... it is just so random I cannot take it in to At&t because I have no idea how to show the problem. I am on contract so I really want to figure something out since it has not even been 2 years.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, thanks!

Go to your sd card and select the Android folder and delete the files which are nearly all the junk collected from downloads etc. Sometimes I've had to delete a few times.
That should do the trick.

Rich Webber

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Cell phone randomly restarting or rebooting

This thing seems to becoming pandemic with android users. I am seeing it everywhere. I have been working with my service provider and told to buy a new phone. Gee......... I wonder??:(

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Started happening to me too on my S5 mini. It started happening after I installed an APK for an app through apk mirror or something. I've deleted the app so hopefully that fixes it.

1 Winging it

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Does it just freeze for a little bit then the screen turns black and vibrates twice then it restarts? That's what has been happing to my s5 ever since around the same time as yours.

I had the same issue for months and was told by different tech guys it's the software, it's an app, it's this and that. I changed my flip case to the original back case and problem stopped.
The more you use it the looser it gets and it causes shorts via the contacts inside the case. Look out for the messages that keep telling you to check you cover, this is the clue.
Not had the issue for 2 weeks now.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
So, a couple of days ago, I got an update on my Galaxy 5, which brought me up to Marshmallow 6.0.1. All went well. This AM, I unplugged the phone, I turned on my phone, checked my email. I checked the battery (force of habit), it was at 96%. About a half-hour later, I noticed it rebooting. When it was finished, I checked by battery again...it was at 82%! I checked the Usage Manager, which told me that Chrome was a 5% since last charged, which seemed odd, since I had not even been on Chrome since charging,. Anyone else run into this?

mattsternc

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So, a couple of days ago, I got an update on my Galaxy 5, which brought me up to Marshmallow 6.0.1. All went well. This AM, I unplugged the phone, I turned on my phone, checked my email. I checked the battery (force of habit), it was at 96%. About a half-hour later, I noticed it rebooting. When it was finished, I checked by battery again...it was at 82%! I checked the Usage Manager, which told me that Chrome was a 5% since last charged, which seemed odd, since I had not even been on Chrome since charging,. Anyone else run into this?

I'm assuming that if you just got the 6.0.1 update that you are on AT&T. If that is the case, I had the exact same issue after I updated! I tried everything I could think of to figure out what was going on. Ultimately, I ended up doing a factory reset after a couple of hours of reading stuff on the web, here and over @ XDA forum. Probably not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but ever since I did that, my phone has been rock solid just like it was before the update. I backed up all of my photos, etc. to my SD Card and did the reset from the bootloader.

I don't understand how Samsung could have missed this issue, but I have another friend who upgraded and hasn't had any problems whatsoever. I'm not really sure what the difference is, but it's still an issue that has occurred for some folks.

Hope this helps!

No, I have AT&T and it does it all the time. Even when I am on the phone. It is super annoying, I think it is something with the programing.

This thing seems to becoming pandemic with android users. I am seeing it everywhere. I have been working with my service provider and told to buy a new phone. Gee......... I wonder??:(

Have you done a factory reset of the phone? I was having the reboot problems quite severely and the factory reset cured all of the issues in one shot.

Should we have to do this? No. Samsung, IMHO, did a poor job on software QA for this upgrade scenario. I don't like the fact that I had to do a factory reset, but once I did, like I said, everything that was wrong is not a problem anymore. Don't listen to your service provider, as they generally don't know enough about the technical issues to render an informed opinion 99% of the time.

Last edited by a moderator: