Galaxy S5 is Randomly Restarting

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I have had my galaxy S5 since April (a couple weeks after it was released)
My phone has worked flawlessly until mid august.. it has been having this bad habit of restarting it self when I am using it... It is kind of frustrating because I do not know how to replicate this problem and I have been trying plenty of solutions that I have read online.

Things I have done > Factory Reset: I did a factory reset and while I was uploading contacts through kies it restarted
I have used another launcher: it still restarted while I was web browsing. ( did not download any apps for a couple days and problem still persisted randomly due to web browsing)
Turned off Google Sync: It seemed to have solved the problem because it did not restart for like 2 days, but while using Pandora it lagged the music and it ended up restarting again.
Cleared the cache/cookies: did nothing and still randomly restarted.
Removed all facebook applications: problem still persist after a while of use.

It has been frustrating because it also restarts during important phone calls as well... it is just so random I cannot take it in to At&t because I have no idea how to show the problem. I am on contract so I really want to figure something out since it has not even been 2 years.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The first thing I'd try is to unmount the SD card (Settings>Storage) and remove it, then reboot. A corrupt card can lead to various problems. See how the phone operates for a few days without the SD (or insert a different one, if you need it).

If it still restarts, then there may be some app that is causing problems. Try booting into Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps. Try using the phone this way for a while, and see if it restarts on its own. If it remains stable, then something you installed is probably the culprit. The tricky thing is figuring out which app--you may have to uninstall them one by one (or uninstall all of them, then reinstall them one by one). Power the Device Up in Safe Mode - Samsung Galaxy S® 5

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe try to spin the battery on a flat surface. If it spins it's a bad battery. Also see if there are any updates for your phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

I appreciate the advice but the problem seems to also exists in Safe Mode. Specifically, I was using Chrome on Safe Mode and after awhile of browsing (5-10min) it restarted again. As for the SD card, I do not have any SD cards within my device. I was really hoping it was an app :(

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue before. There is an issue with the software. Your phone should be covered through warranty. Depending on what carrier you have they should replace the phone. There is nothing that can be done.

Posted via Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 😎

Anthony Silva1

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I have had my galaxy S5 since April (a couple weeks after it was released)
My phone has worked flawlessly until mid august.. it has been having this bad habit of restarting it self when I am using it... It is kind of frustrating because I do not know how to replicate this problem and I have been trying plenty of solutions that I have read online.

Things I have done > Factory Reset: I did a factory reset and while I was uploading contacts through kies it restarted
I have used another launcher: it still restarted while I was web browsing. ( did not download any apps for a couple days and problem still persisted randomly due to web browsing)
Turned off Google Sync: It seemed to have solved the problem because it did not restart for like 2 days, but while using Pandora it lagged the music and it ended up restarting again.
Cleared the cache/cookies: did nothing and still randomly restarted.
Removed all facebook applications: problem still persist after a while of use.

It has been frustrating because it also restarts during important phone calls as well... it is just so random I cannot take it in to At&t because I have no idea how to show the problem. I am on contract so I really want to figure something out since it has not even been 2 years.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, thanks!
Does it just freeze for a little bit then the screen turns black and vibrates twice then it restarts? That's what has been happing to my s5 ever since around the same time as yours.

itguy14

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Mine will just up and restart. Doesn't matter what you are doing - listening to music, whatever. Tonight it was in the middle of a call. It was quiet and I heard the T-Mobile jingle before I realized the damn thing rebooted!

I'm getting so frustrated with this thing - if it's not the stuttering worse than a Turrets patient when using BT, the reboots, and the general flakiness. I'm hoping Lollipop fixes this mess or I'm seriously thinking iPhone 6+ is coming my way...

Jeff Diamond1

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Mine will have that issue too, where it goes black, vibrates twice then restarts. I've kept my eye on it, and it'll reset regardless of what's happening. I could be browsing on Chrome, using the Google Play store (today's example), listening to podcasts, or it may just be sitting on the desk. There is no rhyme or reason why it should be restarting like this, as far as I can tell. I had the memory card in another phone and it worked fine. However, I formatted the card before I put it into the Galaxy.

One piece of software I've been suspicious of is Clean Master. Anyone else?

ddgiant

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same thing over the last few months, according to Samsung it is an app I have downloaded and they will not help me try to figure out anything more then that.

Well I have tried different things, running in safe mode, removing recent apps, I even replaced the phone and battery under warranty, and it restarted when I was setting up the new one, and nothing appeared to work till I started to notice a pattern in where I was when it was restarting. Now you might be thinking why would location matter, and that is what I originally was thinking as well, till I looked at what was differences between the two main locations.

How am I connected to the internet/Data? My two main locations I use my phone was work and home. At home I am always on my WiFi while at work I am always using my cell data (t-mobile 4G LTE). The other day a large update for PVZ2 came out and I tried to download it at home, and it crashed and restarted twice in less then one minute, I stopped it and went to work, once I got there I tried again and it went with out any issue. Over the last 3 days I have turned my WiFi off on my phone for most items. Only turning it on when I have to use WiFi (like sending something to my chrome-cast), and have had zero crashes / restarts.

the only other times it has crashed on me was going for a walk in the evening, and it would crash several times, but my WiFi at home is Comcast and it set up to use Comcast hotspots, so I am thinking I was walking in and out of hotspots.

I think the best thing any of us can do is to share as much information about what it going on with each other and see if we can find the matching items and figure out a fix, due to I am not seeing Samsung helping us.

no clean master on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christrunk514

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Same problem. I took my phone to T mobile and they replaced it and within 2 months the new phone started doing the same thing! This will be my LAST Samsung phone for sure.

schumii

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My phone is doing this exact same thing.

In addition, I keep getting the "Unfortunately, 'x' has stopped" messages for multiple things.

I made a thread about it [edit: cant link]

I thought Android was great the 3 weeks I've been using it... until these issues. I love my S5, but reliability is key for me.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Huh, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this issue. My galaxy S5 has started doing this as well... Weird. I have so many apps installed that uninstalling them one by one and waiting a few days to see which is the culprit isn't an efficient solution. As a side note, I had severe battery drain about 2 weeks ago, but the problem has since solved itself. I'm assuming it was a bug in Google Play services but as I said, it's since fixed itself. Anyway, here are some instances in which my phone restarted randomly,

1. After my phone rings from being asleep for a while (screen off), the call will end if I don't answer it, and then a few seconds later I just hear the tmobile jingle and notice that the phone has restarted. Annoying...

2. Randomly after opening some apps. For example, one time I opened Google+, which I don't use often at all, and the app force closed and then my phone froze for a second, and then it rebooted.

3. Sometimes it just does it at the most random times for reasons unbeknownst.

So yeah, there's my issue. I can relate. It probably has something to do with RAM or the memory getting overloaded. The phone probably can't handle it and then just reboots itself. That would be my guess, I really don't know much about this stuff. As a side note, my current RAM status is 1.51 GB in use from 1.81 GB. My cached data is 2.73 GB. That's probably bad, but I really don't want to clear it because most of it is from Play Music, and I don't want to have the app re-download everything anyway. I'm on a TMOBILE galaxy S5. I've had it since it came out. Sad to see this issue arise, thought this phone was 'the one'...

brandon mims

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
The problem is coming from either the volte update or the 4.4.2 update. One of the updates has caused certain apps ( for me its fb, google +, words with friends and chrome) to keep running using up the available RAM. To temporarily remedy the problem(hopefully lollipop update will fix it) your going to need to activate the developers options in the settings menu and click on stop all activities at the bottom. It will keep all the apps from running once you exit them.

Last edited:

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The problem is coming from either the volte update or the 4.4.2 update. One of the updates has caused certain apps ( for me its fb, google +, words with friends and chrome) to keep running using up the available RAM. To temporarily remedy the problem(hopefully lollipop update will fix it) your going to need to activate the developers options in the settings menu and click on stop all activities at the bottom. It will keep all the apps from running once you exit them.

I enabled developer options, what do I do after? You kind of lost me. I don't see an option to end all apps

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone has been restarting to.. not enough for me to complain. I seriously think it restarts from over heating. Becuz I noticed my phone only restarts when im home. And when im home thts when its in xtremely heavy usage and I got it on and off the charger constantly.but thats just an assumption in my case. When im home my phone never rests and sometimes I have to restart it myself. Are you guys phones restarting after heavy usage. Just something to consider.

Posted via the Android Central App

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I tried the suggestion but my phone has restarted 3 times since doing it. Twice just out of the blue, I noticed the tmobile jingle suddenly played, even woke me up its so damn loud. And the third time when I was just browsing chrome. I'm at my wit's end! Seriously don't know what to do.

ddgiant

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
It has now been over a week since my phone last reset itself. The only thing I've changed as I mentioned earlier is I have turned off my wifi while I'm at home so I'm always using my 4G LTE through t-mobile I'm thinking that's either a driver issue from Samsung or there's something wrong with their wireless.
has anybody else noticed if they were on wifi or their cellular data plan when it is restarting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21