S5 over iPhone 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubuntunerd

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I will agreed Apple's eco system is great and they make more money as of now than the google play store but that is because Apple has strict regimens against app developers, basically if the app has an unpolished finish or they dont like the content is not accepted, so of course their apps and nice and polished. Google is bit more forgiven about this and also for every IOS app there is an alternative in the play store !!!

Also the fact that Apple says the iphone doesn't need more ram is a myth and it makes almost no sense, in order to fully use a 64 bit processor you need more ram. I can wait to see how the same amount of ram will work with the 5.5 iphone after you got facebook, twiter, pinterst and every other social media open at the same time !!!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting a 6+ to go with my androids. Giving up on WP and going Android / iOS. Will have a 5.5 oneplus one to go with my 5.5 iPhone 6+.

Posted via Nexus 5

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
you most be talking about NFC ? If do a little research you will find that they are using NFC with a "Secure Element" to power the new Apple Payment System. There is a reason why Google has moved away from the "Secure Element" and replaced with it with "Host Card Emulation" a year ago.
So i just dont see how Apple would be doing this better!!!!

Google did away with it because the carriers were blocking google wallet. Apple has more clout and will not let it happen.

Posted via Nexus 5

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's "true" they are all old or adapted ideas from Android, but I would say the iPhone will make NFC more mainstream and will run more smoothly than the Nexus 4 did. Not knocking the Nexus but 4.1 wasn't near as smooth as 4.4 is and that trend will hopefully continue. As hardware gets better software optimization will continue to grow. Android L looks very nice so maybe in 2020 Apple will take some stuff from it haha I'm happy either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Is it a loan phone or a rental? Are you not allowed to sell it?

Posted from my S5

The program I am in gives me a free S5 if I use it for 6 months and allow Samsung to run an app on it during my use. They collect data such as battery and data usage. (No personal info). I have a friend who is an engineer for Samsung's phone development.

If I violate the contract, I have to pay retail price for the phone. I was hoping it (the S5) would be awesome and I would love it.

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had android, windows, and apple. I started out with android so maybe that's why I like it so much better. Most people stick with what they know. Last Dec I tried the Nokia 1020, hated it. So I got the iPhone 5s in april, it was much better but last month I just couldn't take it much longer. I missed my android so I trade the iPhone in to get the galaxy s5 and now I'm so happy. I was scared I was gonna make a mistake by not waiting to see what the iPhone 6 was gonna have but after they announced it, I don't see anything special about it. They still don't have widgets. The only reason I would recommend a iphone to anyone is because it's so user friendly. It's what we bought for my 70 year old grandmother lol.

I think they are both great operating systems. Just the freedom you have with android makes it a better option for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The program I am in gives me a free S5 if I use it for 6 months and allow Samsung to run an app on it during my use. They collect data such as battery and data usage. (No personal info). I have a friend who is an engineer for Samsung's phone development.

If I violate the contract, I have to pay retail price for the phone. I was hoping it (the S5) would be awesome and I would love it.

I wonder if this mystery app that is collecting data could be causing some of the performance issues you've experienced? Probably not but it does make me curious.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Cool I understand now. You could ask your friend to help you out with your phone. He will know a lot more than any of us.

Posted from my S5

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
A few things!

The small screen was one.

Others were:
Lack of a real filing system
Poor sharing options
Lack of customisation
Non removable battery
Low resolution screen/lack of Amoled
Lack of third party keyboards
Lack of Widgets
Lack of S-view window
Tethering did not work well on it
Poor notification management/pannel

Software bugs with ios 7: re-springs and reboots. Lots of crashes. (probably been fixed now)

I also missed touch wiz guestures like palm Swype for screen capture, silencing a call by placing face down. Quick dialler features. Customisable notification bar.

Despite being an iPhone user in the past and still using iPads, ipod touches and the Apple TV, a big part comes down to familiarity with samsung devices. Sure I was still using ios devices but samsung had been my daily driver for over 2 years. On a Samsung phone over the two years I've been able to set things up just how I like it. So I'm pretty set it my ways :)

The iPhone 6 is a step in the right direction and is a good upgrade for iOS users but offers me little to nothing over my current phone. In fact its like a step back for me. The NFC payments is fine if you live in the US. However like many things I expect it will take years to roll out over here in the UK. We are still waiting for iTunes radio, we only have about 5 apps that work with passbook, only one of which I've actually every used.

Posted from my S5

Gotcha. As you said, different strokes for different folks. Glad you're happy with Android. And I'll keep on counting down the days (8 days left)! :D

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I thought a lot about this myself. I don't have an iPhone but I've had them and I have another upgrade in June but the more I thought about it, the more I realize the S5 is far better. This is supposed to be the most significant iPhone since the 3gs but all it's giving us is stuff most other phones have had for a while now. I think it's great for those Apple die-hards because they finally get a little bit of what they should have had all along. Like you said, it's pretty and all of that but that just isn't enough when you're spending hundreds of dollars and making a serious commitment. Other than their name and their pretty little phone, they offer me nothing I don't have in my S5 and then some. And for the record, though the S5 isn't all shiny and perty, it's made really great and I love the way it feels in my hand. About the only thing iPhone wins and may always win, is the depth of their infrastructure - easy to do when you only have a few phones that all look and act alike.

Oh yah. shanghaichica - you forgot to mention Apples refusal to allow SD cards and thus forcing you to spend even more money for the memory you need. Hate that.

For you iPhone fans: There are certainly those for whom an iPhone really does make sense. My daughter has always gotten one but given how she uses her phone, it isn't an issue. My sisters also have them but none of them are tech savy and Apple has always made their products so almost anyone can figure them out. So if you don't get technology or you're someone who just wants to use their phone for basic stuff and doesn't care about putzing on it (like my boss), it also makes sense. It absolutely has its place but please lets not act like this is some amazing new stuff. It's just Apple catching up and also finally giving in to that growing number of people who wanted a bigger phone. I wonder if Steve Jobs would have given in to them?

Last edited:

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
iOS doesn't require a 2&3 GB of RAM and quad core processors to run at the same speeds and sometimes faster than Android OS.

I like the iPhones. They're a quality product and a lot of things just work better on iOS. I do love the customization of Android and their HD screens. I'll probably trade my S5 toward a iPhone 6 in the coming weeks and probably wind up trading the iPhone toward a Note 4 and the 4 toward S6.

Posted via my Galaxy S5

Now that's just crazy talk :p Sounds like something I would do. I do plan on seriously entertaining the Note 4 early next year.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
They've worked properly for years. I would sell your S5 ASAP if I were you. Samsung devices don't hold their value for as long as the iPhone. You can put the money you get towards your iPhone 6.

Posted from my S5

Maybe but this is no different than Harley motorcycles. They too hold their value, not because they're the better bike necessarily but because of the demand which is a result of the culture Harley has built just as Apple has.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe but this is no different than Harley motorcycles. They too hold their value, not because they're the better bike necessarily but because of the demand which is a result of the culture Harley has built just as Apple has.

I agree. I'd buy a Samsung Galaxy phone in a heartbeat and wouldn't bulk at the price becuase it's worth every penny. An iPhone just isn't worth the money imo.

Posted from my S5

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought a lot about this myself. I don't have an iPhone but I've had them and I have another upgrade in June but the more I thought about it, the more I realize the S5 is far better. This is supposed to be the most significant iPhone since the 3gs but all it's giving us is stuff most other phones have had for a while now. I think it's great for those Apple die-hards because they finally get a little bit of what they should have had all along. Like you said, it's pretty and all of that but that just isn't enough when you're spending hundreds of dollars and making a serious commitment. Other than their name and their pretty little phone, they offer me nothing I don't have in my S5 and then some. And for the record, though the S5 isn't all shiny and perty, it's made really great and I love the way it feels in my hand. About the only thing iPhone wins and may always win, is the depth of their infrastructure - easy to do when you only have a few phones that all look and act alike.

Oh yah. shanghaichica - you forgot to mention Apples refusal to allow SD cards and thus forcing you to spend even more money for the memory you need. Hate that.

For you iPhone fans: There are certainly those for whom an iPhone really does make sense. My daughter has always gotten one but given how she uses her phone, it isn't an issue. My sisters also have them but none of them are tech savy and Apple has always made their products so almost anyone can figure them out. So if you don't get technology or you're someone who just wants to use their phone for basic stuff and doesn't care about putzing on it (like my boss), it also makes sense. It absolutely has its place but please lets not act like this is some amazing new stuff. It's just Apple catching up and also finally giving in to that growing number of people who wanted a bigger phone. I wonder if Steve Jobs would have given in to them?

I did! It's one of the major reasons why I choose android. I left it out because I was trying to be fair to the iPhone 5S which I got rid of after 28 days, as I did have the 64GB version.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I'd buy a Samsung Galaxy phone in a heartbeat and wouldn't bulk at the price becuase it's worth every penny. An iPhone just isn't worth the money imo.

Posted from my S5

For the record: I really like Harley Davidson a lot (I work in Milwaukee) and definitely wouldn't mind owning one but there's a reason that the average age of the Harley owner is north of 45. They're expensive and mostly because of the name.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
If the choice given is only between the S5 and the iPhone 6, I'd get the iPhone. The S line of Samsung phones really doesn't provide any gimmicks or functions that I find useful. So in that case, I'd rather go with the smoother, easier to use platform that I know will just function as expected.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand why people wouldn't want the S5. We talk about "freedom" on Android, yet Samsung won't let us even change the color scheme. Touchwiz is simply terrible for many reasons I won't rehash here. I don't see myself buying another Samsung.

That said, I still have no interest in the new iPhone. I'll look at HTC, Motorola, and maybe even Windows Phone, but not an iPhone, I absolutely hate the Apple proprietary ecosystem which works wonderfully so long as you buy everything from Apple's limited selection. Been there, done that, they won't lure me back in again.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I completely understand why people wouldn't want the S5. We talk about "freedom" on Android, yet Samsung won't let us even change the color scheme. Touchwiz is simply terrible for many reasons I won't rehash here. I don't see myself buying another Samsung.

That said, I still have no interest in the new iPhone. I'll look at HTC, Motorola, and maybe even Windows Phone, but not an iPhone, I absolutely hate the Apple proprietary ecosystem which works wonderfully so long as you buy everything from Apple's limited selection. Been there, done that, they won't lure me back in again.

Why not just change the launcher if you don't like touch wiz.

Posted from my S5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers