Updating contact list...[Samsung Galaxy S5]

Mel DeLlanos

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I had an update waiting this morning, so I let it happen and since then my contacts have been "updating". I can't use my phone as a phone, I can't get to any of my contacts, logs, faves, etc. I have done everything I can think of, restarted, powered off, taken out the battery, etc...

Any suggestions? Going on 5 hours of this...

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Updating contact list...

That is why I hate updates that do NOT explain what is going to happen.

I will buy you a bag of donuts if I'm wrong, but what happened is the update connected you to Google's contacts, and also to your Email Contacts and also to any Social Accounts that you have.

Just imagine trying to load up over 5,000 Facebook friends into your contacts list. That is why I don't have any Social apps on my phone.

What you are complaining about happened to me once. I pulled the battery, restarted the phone and did a Factory Reset.

Then I went straight into Settings and Turned Auto Updates OFF.

kenbjones

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Samsung S5 updating contacts

Good morning all,

my contacts list has now been updating for 2 hours like a previous user described. I don't really want to go back to factory settings as I'll lose stuff that I don't want to lose. Is there any alternative way of halting this process so that I can use my phone. I have thousands of e-mail and linkedin contacts and cant afford to have the phone out of action all day - help please!

many thanks

3moosey3

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung S5 updating contacts

Have you pulled your notification bar down by sliding your finger from the top of the screen down. When you open the notification bar and and scroll to the left you will see the sync button, click on it to turn off sync. This will stop syncing on any of your programs that you are syncing. Repeat process to turn sync back on, this should be the easiest way to turn on and off sync. You can also try by going to settings, then accounts and click on the email you are using and uncheck the sync box. If you don't see your email account click on add accounts and find your email there and add it to the list and click on the three buttons at the top right hand corner and uncheck sync and that should stop the syncing on that email account. If it is gmail that you are using go settings, accounts and then gmail and go to the three dots on the upper right hand corner and click on cancel sync or click on gmail.com, there and you will see a list of what is being synced. Go to contacts and deselect the button there. You can repeat the processes to turn sync back on. If you have a slow wifi connection it will take a long time to sync that many contacts. Turning off sync to your email accounts will require you to sync your email manually in your account.

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung S5 updating contacts

Have you pulled your notification bar down by sliding your finger from the top of the screen down. When you open the notification bar and and scroll to the left you will see the sync button, click on it to turn off sync. This will stop syncing on any of your programs that you are syncing. Repeat process to turn sync back on, this should be the easiest way to turn on and off sync. You can also try by going to settings, then accounts and click on the email you are using and uncheck the sync box. If you don't see your email account click on add accounts and find your email there and add it to the list and click on the three buttons at the top right hand corner and uncheck sync and that should stop the syncing on that email account. If it is gmail that you are using go settings, accounts and then gmail and go to the three dots on the upper right hand corner and click on cancel sync or click on gmail.com, there and you will see a list of what is being synced. Go to contacts and deselect the button there. You can repeat the processes to turn sync back on. If you have a slow wifi connection it will take a long time to sync that many contacts. Turning off sync to your email accounts will require you to sync your email manually in your account.

Good answer

Wish I had thought of it when I first registered my S5 back in April, would have saved a lot of grief.

noel thompson

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

I had an update waiting this morning, so I let it happen and since then my contacts have been "updating". I can't use my phone as a phone, I can't get to any of my contacts, logs, faves, etc. I have done everything I can think of, restarted, powered off, taken out the battery, etc...

Any suggestions? Going on 5 hours of this...

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hi, did you solve this problem?
I have the same problem, if you. Solved it, say me please!

what worked for me was going to... Contacts > click the 3 perpendicular dots (bottom right corner) > Accounts > here you will see all of the gmail emails your phone is synced with. click on the gmail your contacts are located in > click the 3 dots top right corner of the screen > Sync now. You may also want to restart after doing so.

also keep in mind that I am not running a Samsung phone, but am running Kit Kat 4.4.2. But this worked after I did this and restarted my phone. if your system looks different, look for a "Sync" setting somewhere in the Settings. Hope this helps.

Onurag

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

Were u able to resolve the issue? My phone is also stuck on contact list updation. Can anyone help

jkelly675

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site

I am having the same problem on the logs list. my contacts are gone. I have taken all of the advice on this page except factory restart. How do i get my contacts back if I factory restart? It's been updating contact list. the names for the contacts are now gone on my messages as well.

KTNKC

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site

i found this advice on another link:

If the contacts appear OK in Google – via the web-browser, we will simply go into the Android Contacts and “clear the cache” and let it rebuild/resync from Google.

From the main screen, press MENU key–Settings
Select Application Manager (or Applications)
Using the tabs at the top for ALL (apps), find “Contacts Storage” (NOT “Contacts”), select it, then choose “Clear Data” and OK.
Go into your contacts and they should start to sync (or check the Account Properties for the Google Account and do a sync)

it worked for me perfectly---can't make any promises but i'm a happy camper after my update today! (i copied and pasted that advice from justingale---just fyi)

latifa001

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

What if your contacts are only stored on the phone and not in your Gmail? Clearing data or factory restart erases every contact I assume. Is there a solution for this scenario whilst keeping your contacts that are only stored on the phone? Anyone?

MURDEXTRA

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

Thanks very much KTNKC, your fix worked perfectly for me, I almost did a factory reset but this solved my updating contact list problem. Thanks again....

Amu ghuman

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site

(Contact list is being updated) problem
I updated my samsung galaxy e5 and contacts won't load. Please help me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze