I'm out of contract on my older Galaxy, have been comparing devices, and have narrowed it down to two options. I was waiting to see what new devices were introduced this month, but frankly don't see anything better, for me, than the S3 or G3. Sony and Moto X lack removable batteries, the Moto X lacks removable storage, and the Note 3 is just too big for me.

So I've been comparing the S5 and G3, and they seem pretty darn comparable. Each has some areas in which I think it's better, and some in which it's worse. I don't care about heart rate sensor, fingerprint sensor, and both cameras are adequate for my needs, with the G3's low light performance maybe tipping that feature to the LG. I like SuperAMOLED screens, and think the S5's is probably the best in the business right now, but the G3's looks pretty darn good to me, too. Water resistance is a nice feature, but not a deal maker or breaker for me.

I find myself leaning towards the G3, though, and a big part of the reason is appearance. I like Samsung phones. My entire family has Samsung phones. But the back of the S5 is just hideous, and I don't like cases. (Sorry if I've offended any S5 owners. This is my opinion, and I respect that yours may be different.) I also think the G3 feels a little better in the hand, maybe because of the curved back.

Not trying to start a war, just wondering what I might have missed that would make the S5 a better choice. I know I can always change the back, at the expense of water resistance.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    09-11-2014 07:34 PM
    2 good choices you're debating on their.

Can you really go wrong? Probably. I chose the G3 and I'm without regret. Bar none the best phone I've ever owned.

On the other hand you have the S5 which looks like a great runner up

Posted via Android Central App
    viciousvon likes this.
    09-11-2014 07:55 PM
    No, probably can't really go wrong with either. I just want to have a much information as I can reasonably get before deciding.

Thanks.
    ffejjj likes this.
    09-11-2014 08:18 PM
    To me the things i like about the s5 is water resistant, usb3.0 charges fast like iphone the screen is very bright and like the new TouchWiz. ...the lg g3 i only played with in the store and cant say anything negative about something i haven't tried...

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-11-2014 08:27 PM
    I recently had to make that decision, it was s5, g3 or m8. For me I saw that the g3 has a high res screen but it doesn't get as bright as the s5 during daylight viewing. The m8 is the best looking phone on the market, but you can't open it to change batteries. Finally, I've had good luck with Samsung phones so I chose the s5 for the waterproof, screen and ability to swap batteries and SD cards. But, really most flagship phones nowadays are very good so just pick what features you like the most and enjoy which ever phone you get.

Posted from my Monster Galaxy Note 10.1 via Android Central App
    viciousvon likes this.
    09-11-2014 09:31 PM
    I just couldn't get passed the overheating issues with the G3. I could easily reproduce it while in AT&T testing the phone.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:11 PM
    For me I can never go back from amoled, I actually got the xiaomi mobile last month and it was amazing, it ranks on number two in the antutu rankings, but I started missing my GS3, so I decided to sell it and get a GS5. But yeah, if you don't care about screen, then G3 may be a good option, but the camera, recording and still better than G3, so there's that. It would depend on what your priority is.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-11-2014 10:20 PM
    For me I can never go back from amoled, I actually got the xiaomi mobile last month and it was amazing, it ranks on number two in the antutu rankings, but I started missing my GS3, so I decided to sell it and get a GS5. But yeah, if you don't care about screen, then G3 may be a good option, but the camera, recording and still better than G3, so there's that. It would depend on what your priority is.
    Battery life is also god awful in the g3 (in comparison to the gs5). I can routinely get 24-36 hours with 7-8 hours of screen on time with the 5. That's with the screen at 50% brightness (which is just about equal to the g3 at 100% if it doesn't throttle it back) letting everything sync normally. On the g3..I was lucky to vet through a 12 hour day with 4-5 hours of in screen time and pulling back the screen brightness...a lot.

Gray Area likes this.
    09-12-2014 10:56 AM
    If you're looking at the G3, might as well take a look at the Note 4. Only .2 inches bigger, S-Pen capabilities & functions, & IMO you won't find a screen today that will beat the Note 4's QHD Super Amoled screen.

Gray Area likes this.
    09-12-2014 07:12 PM
    If you're looking at the G3, might as well take a look at the Note 4. Only .2 inches bigger, S-Pen capabilities & functions, & IMO you won't find a screen today that will beat the Note 4's QHD Super Amoled screen.
    Thanks William, but while the screen is only .2 inches (diagonally) bigger, the Note is wider than the G3, and feels MUCH wider. I think the combination of the width (G3 is 4mm narrower) and the curved back just make the G3 much more comfortable to hold. I played with a Note 3 yesterday, and it's just uncomfortable for me to hold and use. I do have fairly small hands.

I agree it will probably have the best screen available.
    09-12-2014 10:16 PM
    I know I had to root and modify my phone but I don't have any issues with my g3. Everything that's mentioned here from everyone comparing is a matter of preference which would ultimately come down to the OP decision. I love my g3 even before I rooted it. I like how there's no buttons on the front the screen is epic and I came from a note 3. It's comes down to what you want in a phone.
    Gray Area likes this.
    09-13-2014 09:05 AM
    I agree with the others about the G3. I have two of them (one on VZ and one on ATT). Both rooted. From the quality of the build to how it feels in my hands. To the fantastic battery life. The G3 is a pleasure using.

I also have a OnePlus. I constantly hit the buttons (power or the volume toggle). With the G3, I never inadvertently raise/lower volume or hit the power button.

G3's UI is minimalistic. Once rooted, I took off the bloatware and some of the unwanted LG features. Again, I can't begin to comment what a joy the G3 is.
    09-13-2014 09:11 AM
    I also have no issues with either my G2 or G3 Verizon and LG are updating both regurarly and they are top notch phones I have read about overheating issues and battery issues on every android phone made so do not go by users telling you this.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    09-13-2014 11:55 AM
    I'm out of contract on my older Galaxy, have been comparing devices, and have narrowed it down to two options. I was waiting to see what new devices were introduced this month, but frankly don't see anything better, for me, than the S3 or G3. Sony and Moto X lack removable batteries, the Moto X lacks removable storage, and the Note 3 is just too big for me.

So I've been comparing the S5 and G3, and they seem pretty darn comparable. Each has some areas in which I think it's better, and some in which it's worse. I don't care about heart rate sensor, fingerprint sensor, and both cameras are adequate for my needs, with the G3's low light performance maybe tipping that feature to the LG. I like SuperAMOLED screens, and think the S5's is probably the best in the business right now, but the G3's looks pretty darn good to me, too. Water resistance is a nice feature, but not a deal maker or breaker for me.

I find myself leaning towards the G3, though, and a big part of the reason is appearance. I like Samsung phones. My entire family has Samsung phones. But the back of the S5 is just hideous, and I don't like cases. (Sorry if I've offended any S5 owners. This is my opinion, and I respect that yours may be different.) I also think the G3 feels a little better in the hand, maybe because of the curved back.

Not trying to start a war, just wondering what I might have missed that would make the S5 a better choice. I know I can always change the back, at the expense of water resistance.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    The only reason why I have not considered the G3 is the rather dim screen and the lack of fingerprint sensor. Some users have reported that the battery life is not as good as the G2.
    09-13-2014 03:45 PM
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm still leaning toward the G3, but want try to find one I can view outdoors before I commit. If all else fails, I guess I've got 14 days to return it.
    09-14-2014 01:17 PM
    I'm surprised you mention custom ROMs available. You do know that Rompnit and MOAR are on the S5, right? Are you thinking of staying stock?
    09-14-2014 01:24 PM
    which screen looks "better" to the average people? I do realize that one is SuperAMOLED and one is LCD. (and of course, the vast difference in resolution)

However, which screen will make most non-techie people go "wow" when viewing photographs or playing movies? Or is it too close to call?
    09-14-2014 06:25 PM
    I'm surprised you mention custom ROMs available. You do know that Rompnit and MOAR are on the S5, right? Are you thinking of staying stock?
    The lack of ROMs for the G3 is, indeed, the major thing that has me hesitating about getting one. It has been rooted, and folks are working on unlocking the bootloader. Once that happens I'm sure there will be ROMs available, but not to the level of the S5. As long as I can root, I think I can live with stock + root + some tweaks. In fact, I'm running stock rooted KitKat on my S3 now, because MOAR for KitKat isn't yet available.
    09-14-2014 10:23 PM
    which screen looks "better" to the average people? I do realize that one is SuperAMOLED and one is LCD. (and of course, the vast difference in resolution)

However, which screen will make most non-techie people go "wow" when viewing photographs or playing movies? Or is it too close to call?
    I think the answer to that is probably the S5's SAMOLED screen. But the LG has a contrast adjustment which I played with at the store yesterday. With contrast turned up a bit the G3 looks pretty striking, too.
    09-14-2014 10:24 PM