Samsung Galaxy S5 Question-screen-shot.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	136374Hello All,

I would like to first say that I am new to the Android world being a recent Apple user. Also I would like to mention that I have read forum and you tube videos for nearly 12 hours and I still can not figure this out. This is my situation. I am currently in Korea and my wife got me a Galaxy S5 for my birthday and Verizon ensured her it was unlocked. I received the phone today and placed my SK Telecom Sim card in the phone. After turning it on it said that the Sim card is unknown. Additionally the phone says it needs to be activated from the drop down menu. What I have learned is that you can root your phone and when I tried to root my phone it isn't supported even if I changed the numbers and it still wouldn't work and I figured out you can't root the phone after the latest update. I'm also tried the freezing the setup wizard and that did not work. I took the phone to the SK Telecom people and they refused to help me because I did not purchase the phone from them. Without the root being done to my phone I can't delete the Verizon software that most likely is causing me my troubles so I am at a loss. Please do not flame me I have read a lot today trying to figure this issue out before I posted this message. Thank you for your interest and information.

Justin
    09-13-2014 05:31 AM
    Is the phone new or did you get it from someone? I would call Verizon and verify it's unlocked. I'm new to the s5 also, so I don't know exactly how the process works. I know with att the original owner needs to do the unlocking on their own through the att site. Now that's with an iphone.
    09-13-2014 06:33 AM
    Black Thorne its a new phone. I can now make calls and texts but no data.
    09-13-2014 06:58 AM
    Black Thorne its a new phone. I can now make calls and texts but no data.
    You may need to contact your service provider to get the settings for data.

Posted from my S5
    09-13-2014 09:24 AM
    Hi Shangaichica,

My friend has the exact phone and I copied all the APN information and when I go to save it.. It closes and doesnt save. I have no idea why it wont.
    09-13-2014 09:37 AM
    You may need to contact your service provider to get the settings for data.

Posted from my S5
    If this doesn't work I would also contact the the place you got the phone from and talk to them.
    09-13-2014 10:11 AM
    Black_Throne,

I can't go back to Verizon I am currently In South Korea and using SK Telecom for service.
    09-13-2014 08:52 PM
    here are the APN settings
    Make a new one in mobile settings
    Name: SK Telecom
    APN: web.sktelecom.com
    MMSC: smart.nate.com
    MMS Port: 9093
    MCC: 450
    MNC: 05
    Authentication Type: PAP or CHAP
    APN Protocol: IPv4
    try both Authentications as there is two area's
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    09-13-2014 09:21 PM
    Hi Northern.DJ,

I input the data as you listed and restarted the phone and it stills says 3g I can get on the internet but its super slow. How do I get the LTE up and going?
    09-13-2014 11:09 PM
    If you have the 3G going then its down to were you are if there broadcasting 4G and your on a 4G contract
    4G is only Data so some areas of the world have not caught up yet
    see SKTelecom 범위지도 - OpenSignal this will tell you if your in a 4G area
    You may from time to time do a Manual network search as some older 3G will not switch to 4G
    09-14-2014 08:41 AM
    I'm looking at the "Preferred network mode" and am wondering what mode you have it set for?

My Verizon phone shows
    • Global
    • LTE/CDMA
    • GSM/UMTS

As Verizon in the USA is only CDMA, I set my phone for that mode only. I never get out of the state, much less the country. Doing this gave me better service continuity.

I'm thinking that your provider is most likely GSM and maybe setting that mode would help you out on 4g.

However, as mentioned in the post prior to mine, if the provider is not offering 4g, it just won't be available for you.

I'm in a very rural area and up until about 3 months ago, 4g was simply not available in my county. I could drive elsewhere and pick up a 4g signal, but only in major metro areas. Leave the big cities and it falls back to 3g and occasionally 1x.

Believe it or not, 1x is quite often the only thing going in places around here.

I can understand why your wife got you the Verizon phone, but you say she bought it "unlocked". That means that she paid full price w/o a contract tied to it. Gives you the best of all worlds. Get back home, sign up with Verizon and good to go.

. I'm assuming that you are associated with protecting our country and salute you for your service.

09-14-2014 09:18 AM
    Hi Guys,

I do have 4g LTE service in my area. I also have tried Global, CDMA, and GSM and only GSM/Global work at all. Thank you AZGL500 I have been enlisted for nearly 8 years only 12 more to go . Thank you guys for the help trying to figure out the APN because my friend has his set to go to sinternet.lguplus.co.kr
    09-14-2014 11:33 PM
    Hey People,

After several goes I now have the 3G up and going. I have found the APN for LTE but when I put the MNC code of 06 in and save it automatically deletes all information that I entered. Any Ideas? And thanks for all your input.

Justin
    09-15-2014 05:47 AM
    I Give Up. I guess I'm going back to the dark side with apple.
    09-17-2014 10:53 PM