Alrighty. So I thought I got a version that wouldn't work in the USA. Turns out, the G900F factory unlocked works fine in the US.

Anywho, the warranty is only available in Singapore, which means I don't give a carp about voiding it. Am I ever going to be able to "walk in" for service? Nope.

Bottom line, it came with some stuff on it called MySingTel and some wallet feature app. At first I was concerned that I was going to be hit with fees because the company is overseas, but when I checked settings it was all cool, no roaming, no nothing so I guess I'm good.

I probably at some point (and undoubtedly just now) said something insufferably dumb, which is why I've come here. I need help.

I heard that rooting your phone can make you able to get rid of files and things that are not able to be uninstalled otherwise.
    I want that SingTel stuff gone. How do I do this without bricking my phone?
    09-15-2014 04:27 PM
    Alrighty. So I thought I got a version that wouldn't work in the USA. Turns out, the G900F factory unlocked works fine in the US.

Anywho, the warranty is only available in Singapore, which means I don't give a carp about voiding it. Am I ever going to be able to "walk in" for service? Nope.

Bottom line, it came with some stuff on it called MySingTel and some wallet feature app. At first I was concerned that I was going to be hit with fees because the company is overseas, but when I checked settings it was all cool, no roaming, no nothing so I guess I'm good.

I probably at some point (and undoubtedly just now) said something insufferably dumb, which is why I've come here. I need help.

I heard that rooting your phone can make you able to get rid of files and things that are not able to be uninstalled otherwise.
    Couple things to look over: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

There is no magic in root | Android Central
    If you never rooted before i suggest if you have a older android device like a s3 play with that until you get use to rooting...they have a lot of info if you google it and read...but like i said practice on a older device if you can

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-15-2014 06:57 PM

Couple things to look over: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

There is no magic in root | Android Central
    gidgiddonihah likes this.
    09-19-2014 10:54 PM
    If you never rooted before i suggest if you have a older android device like a s3 play with that until you get use to rooting...they have a lot of info if you google it and read...but like i said practice on a older device if you can

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yup, or at the very least have a friend who has been there, done that, and is aware of what NOT to do.

I've considered rooting my phones ever since the smart phone came out, I've yet to do it because I simply cannot afford the cost to replace a dumbly bricked phone.

Am I unable to do some things? Yes
    do I really need to be able to do those things? Probably not

I would love to unload all of the crap bloatware out of my phone's ROM, but, I have never exceeded the memory limits of my phone yet..... and the S5 allows us to turn bloatware OFF anyway, so ROOT is not a panacea.

IMO, unless you are a techo geek and really savvy about Android/Unix, you best forget about ROOT.
    09-20-2014 03:14 AM