Galaxy S5 announcing who's calling has stopped working, now to restore

Falconeer Taylor

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Until just recently (I believe since Verizon updated the voice mail feature), my S5 used to announce the name of the person calling (if in my addressbook). Now, it no longer does this. How can I restore that feature?

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here.

I had enabled it before by going to settings\accessibility\Answering/ending calls and checking "Voice Control". This is still checked but it's no longer reading the calls.

bphone

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I too have had the problem...though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the settings. I have two S5's, both still have yet to upgrade verizon voice mail service. One of them does call announcing beautifully, another does not. All I can guess is that there is an app that was updated on one of our phones that breaks the call announcing. I had this problem happen before a long while back when I had a Samsung App that was conflicting with S Voice. Uninstalling the conflicting (older S4 Samsung App) fixed the problem.

Has anyone found a solution for this?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Most likely just like the other 'features' that got turned off with the update to 4.4.4

For me, it was 'no sound alert' for an incoming SMS message.

Chirps was still enabled, and notifications still on. A restart did not fix it, initially.

So, I decided to just uncheck everything and then recheck it the way I wanted it.

Did a restart and that fixed it for me.

I suspect yours is much the same.

Or, you could just click reset phone to Defaults.... but that was too drastic for me.