Verizon NI2 update - Massive battery drain

lehorn

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Yesterday I updated my unrooted Verizon Galaxy S5 to the latest NI2 version. While I had no issues before (having the phone since its release) I am now experiencing massive battery drain issues. The phone also stays hot. I completely charged the phone before going to bed. 6.5 hours later its dead, without using it.
It seems like it was pretty much 100% awake according to the stats.
In this state the phone is useless.
Does anyone else experience the same issues or has recommendations?

Thanks.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend is having the same issue with her unrooted Verizon S5.
Battery usage stats showed her texting app (Textra) using 80% of the battery.

It was draining so fast that it died while on the charger.
Not sure what exactly is going on.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My battery life took a big hit as well, but not that big, probably about half of normal. I noticed it seemed to be using 4G while on Wi-Fi. I knew before hand the "4GLTE" would stay lit after the update, but the arrows were periodically going too so something was going on.

After about 24 hours it seems to have stabilized, in fact it may even be better than before. I don't know what that was about. Could have been an app having issues with 4.4.4.

lehorn

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
The mobile data (3G or 4G LTE) does not show for me while in Wifi.
Again my Awake status seems to be (almost) always on. It can be seen in Settings -> Battery -> Click on the graph for History details.

okirun

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Same happening here. I looked to see what was draining my battery, and "samsung push service" was in second place (between android system and android OS, which are usually the top two) taking 21% of it. I can't remember ever seeing this app before, and when I looked it up it's apparently just an app that displays messages from some other samsung apps, but I don't use any of those either, so I have no idea what this app is doing. I disabled it and turned on power saving mode, but the battery kept plummeting! I put it on ultra power saving, then charged it. I can't tell yet if the battery is still draining abnormally fast.

Posted via Android Central App

edit: yeah, I think it's still draining fast. Dropped 20% in 3 1/2 hours on power-saving mode. Guess I will be joining the iPhone crew and taking my charger to work until this is fixed. :|

Last edited:

lehorn

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I did a reboot/cache clear, but not much of an improvement.
Btw, I disabled data during the Dodger game last night (yes they clinched the NL West) and had no drainage at all. In 4 hours it went down 2% only and stayed completely cool.
Again there must be something that keeps the phone awake constantly and uses the CPU, but I cannot figure it out.
I also already disabled sync on Google+ and some of the other Google services even though they are still running.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Today, Verizon has been forcing me to ignore that new 'NI2' update every time I unlock the phone.

I unchecked the Auto Updates and they are pushing it out anyway.

Pissing me off, I do NOT want that update until they fix it.

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is this the 4.4.4 update? I just did the update today but all I get is the visual voicemail notification and it will not go away. Help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

blindgoat

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I got hit with the upgrade and it caused Kaiten mail to send hundreds of logins to my email provider, and in the process got my account temporarily shut out. Kaiten also drained the battery. I removed and reinstalled Kaiten but had the same problem with the new installation. Sounds like the upgrade causes different apps to go nuts. I currently have no mail app and power consumption seems about normal, maybe a little high. Verizon and/or Samsung really screwed some of us with this one!

Last edited:

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, reading about a lot of different issues here and there.

so far, I have not run into problems. but, I don't use or do most of the things mentioned as problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey