How do I change my setting to have all photos go to SD card?

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: New to S5 ..having all photos go to SD card

When you first fire up the camera after setting up your phone, a dialog box should offer you the option. If not, then it's in the camera settimgs

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Yes, but that depends on the camera. If you're using the Stock Camera, there should be a Gear icon (or just hit SETTINGS). In there, yet again, go to the Gear tab and scroll down to STORAGE. There you can select to store either in your internal memory or SD Card.

BUT I strongly suggest you save pictures to internal memory and that you back up either on a PC or Cloud service regularly if you choose the SD Card. Those tend to fail, and you'll be sorry when your latest vacation is wiped clean because of a faulty card.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

so what is the advantage of having a SD card? none?
Seriously? Lol. You can store tons of pics, music and movies on the SD card. I've never had a problem with my SD card but I do back my photos up on my computer every once in a while as I should.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Seriously? Lol. You can store tons of pics, music and movies on the SD card. I've never had a problem with my SD card but I do back my photos up on my computer every once in a while as I should.

There is a very very old computer adage that says "Back it up, Back it up,Back it up,"

SD card, or internal memory, either way, it can break somehow, someway. ie, you dropped it and a truck ran over the phone. You just lost both the internal memory and the SD card.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

There is a very very old computer adage that says "Back it up, Back it up,Back it up,"

SD card, or internal memory, either way, it can break somehow, someway. ie, you dropped it and a truck ran over the phone. You just lost both the internal memory and the SD card.
Exactly. I think most people are more likely to break the phone than to have an SD card fail.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

I backup the photos I wish to keep to the cloud. I use the sd card as intermediate storage. Two reason for this are.

1. The photos are physically away from the phone. If I lose the phone the sd card is lost also.

2. Secondly if I want to send a photo to someone I just send a link and save the issue of compression from the carrier that way. A 16 MP photo goes to hell in hand basket sending via email or text.

One reason in addition that only matters to me is I'm doing work and research in cloud storage ... so using it helps. I have over 100 Gb of cloud storage to play with ..... so why not just use it.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

I've had an SD card on my last three smartphones, and I store all photos and music on it. I've never had a problem.

When the gallery gets full, I connect my phone to my PC and transfer them. Who wants a zillion pics in your gallery that you have to scroll through anyway?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Precisely.

I have about a 100 pix now, and those are going to get whittled down tomorrow.

That is just too many to have on the phone at one time.

punk999

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Storing it on sdcard is perfectly fine, unless you have a crappy sdcard to begin with.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. I think most people are more likely to break the phone than to have an SD card fail.
I'm just speaking from personal experience. All Samsung phones (never broken, by the way :) ), SanDisk, A-Data, PNY, Samsung, Kingston. All corrupted, all causing the dreaded "Media Scanning" battery drain, and once I did lose pictures from a non-connected trip.

SanDisk even acknowledged this and would send you a replacement card with no question asked as long as you mentioned that your card was manufactured prior to 2012 and were using a Samsung phone. So I'm not too paranoid about SD cards, I'm actually paranoid about the way Sammy phones handle them.

Actually I once read that 1 in a 1000 bits on every SD card could potentially fail... Now we're dealing with 32, 64, 128 Billion bits. You do the math.

Luis Vega71

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I went into settings - storgae and did not see the option to save pictures to external memory.

I used to have it set up until I changed the SD card.

Any idea how to fix it?

dkelly701

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Were you in phone settings or camera settings? You should be in camera settings. If your phone does not list "memory card" as a choice, then your phone is not recognizing your card.

I went into settings - storgae and did not see the option to save pictures to external memory.

I used to have it set up until I changed the SD card.

Any idea how to fix it?

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site

I never used an SD card until recently and it started putting them there the moment I put it in. I can't remember, but it may have asked me if I wanted to put them there. Anyways, here is where the setting is supposed to be:
Screenshot_2015-06-06-02-11-43.png

Last edited:

Ds Vtoutain

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
When I open up the stock camera on my S5, there is the gear icon - but there is no storage option in the menu. Where else might I find it?
thanks.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
When I open up the stock camera on my S5, there is the gear icon - but there is no storage option in the menu. Where else might I find it?
thanks.

Look VERY closely when you open your settings... you will see a scroll bar on the right side. Slide the screen up a bit and you'll see a whole bunch more settings (including the storage location) down there.

pegn

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking for the storage option all morning, and I can't believe I didn't see the scroll bar. Thank you!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae