I don't want to lose my warranty but I want to root my phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-28-2014 09:57 AM
    Well you have to weigh the pros and cons, and decide what is best for you.
    If having superuser access is more important than the warranty, then do it.
    If the warranty is more important, don't do it.

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5
    09-28-2014 09:59 AM
    The whole warranty thing is really not an issue if you're just rooting to freeze bloat or maybe ad away.
    Unless you trip Knox counter your phone can always be returned to "out of the box new" via Odin.
    I've never had a problem with warranty after returning to 100% stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    09-28-2014 10:08 AM
    I'd never try to do that. First I'd probably crash my phone..... and besides I'm a newbie. What would be the reason for rooting it?????

=]

09-28-2014 10:28 AM
    The whole warranty thing is really not an issue if you're just rooting to freeze bloat or maybe ad away.
    Unless you trip Knox counter your phone can always be returned to "out of the box new" via Odin.
    I've never had a problem with warranty after returning to 100% stock.

I want to root it for the Ad Block but also for removing bloatware because the updates are annoying and take up memory.

09-28-2014 11:08 AM
    I'd never try to do that. First I'd probably crash my phone..... and besides I'm a newbie. What would be the reason for rooting it?????

=]

ROMs, more features, more apps, more utilities, etc. (I've done it with a Samsung Admire which was before I went to iPhone or this S5 but I'm afraid that I'll need my warranty at some point)

indigogrl79 and bigmatt503 like this.
    09-28-2014 11:28 AM

=]

Everyone of us was a newbie at some point😀.
    I like to make my phone MY phone and I mostly root for ad blocking, xposed framework and disabling bloatware from good old Verizon.

indigogrl79 likes this.
    09-28-2014 01:55 PM
    Its about time the Android community stopped pushing root onto new users. Rooting, custom ROMs etc is tricky business and WILL void your warranty and can (and does) brick your phone. Also, getting anyone remotely interested in Android to root. Etc is disingenuous to the platform. It (incorrectly) flags android as bleeding edge, unstable and a bit amateurish which it isn't. Leave Root , ROMs etc to devices out of the upgrade/warranty circle and leave it to developers, the fiddlers and the fearless.
    indigogrl79 and cydewaze like this.
    09-28-2014 02:21 PM
    I'd wait until your warranty is up. What is it? One year? A year goes by quick.

This may seem hypocritical since I've rooted my phone, but I have a lot of experience rooting and ROMing from past phones, so I sort of know what I'm getting into. I've been through the ups and downs of customization, from milking an extra year out of a phone that was well beyond being obsolete, to having to restore a phone from the ground up using the Motorola software.

Why did I root my S5? It's kind of a long story.

Whenever I get a phone, it's of course very fast and responsive. On my last two Moto phones, as updates were pushed, the phones seemed to get more and more sluggish. I don't know why this is, but I have a theory (probably wrong) about phones being optimized for the current version of Android that's around when they were made, and as each new Android version comes out, it assumes better specs, so the older phones just don't cut it. I came up with this theory when I had to flash my Droid 2 back to Froyo. Once done, it was fast as new, but by the time it was done updating itself to the latest everything, it was again dead slow (even before installing any apps).

On my Razr M, Verizon pushed an update that killed FoxFi, which I use a lot. So I decided with my S5 that I'd do a test. I've denied all OTA updates, period, and I'm going to see how things go by leaving the phone exactly the way it is other than installing some apps. I needed to root to avoid the updates, and it also let me do things like get ride of that nonsensical volume warning and the bootup and camera shutter sounds.
    09-28-2014 03:28 PM
    It might be a moot point. If you have AT&T and the latest KitKat, the simple answer is that you can't root the phone. You're locked out.

If you CAN root your phone though, I'd do it in a heart beat to return the functionality that Kitkat and Samsung stole.
    09-28-2014 07:35 PM
    It sounds like you have some experience with root and android, and want to play. If budget allows, I'd recommend a second device for rooting and rom'ing, to see what you think. I got a nexus 7 that spent at least half of the first two months I had it in some form of unusable. I tried all the roms, all the tweaks, wiped and reinstalled a dozen times. My phone stayed stock until I was confident I could fix what might go wrong, and still spent a couple days with my sim in a $10 flip phone.

Right now, my cell phone is my only phone, and I tether about 25 hours a week for work. The phone has to work, so I don't mess with it now that it's working. The nexus gets 4.4.4 and xposed and all the mods.
    09-28-2014 09:12 PM
    Don't root the phone until you have a backup plan of putting it back to stock. Rule of thumb.
    09-28-2014 09:14 PM
    My S5 is my only way to talk to the world.
    For now, it will remain stock to avoid the potential of me bricking it.

I would love to have an extra S5 to experiment with rooting and learning how to do that. But first, I would want to find me an Elmer who has been there and done that. I want hands on coaching that first time so that I don't accidentally press the wrong button.

4.4.4 is a mixed blessing. The phone is faster, the camera is fixed, the dialer is still broke (Favorites can't use List View), and a few other things that irk me.

But, over all, 4.4.4 is working okay and I am going to leave well enough alone. I have been playing with Android for 6 years and I am still learning things.

I would love to learn the underlying programming code and be able to modify, or write apps from scratch. but, that is not feasible for me at the moment.

I also think that a newbie should be really careful about rooting a phone. Leave it alone for a good long while, or buy a used Android from Swappa.com or eBay and play with that, not your only Android device. Brick it and it is toast, and the Warranty is definitely void.

To the guy who has not let his phone update..... I think yours must be rooted? Verizon Forced the update on mine, while I had it in my hands and pressed the CANCEL button refusing the update. Then the damn thing rebooted while I was sending a text message and it updated against my wishes. I still had 4.4.2 and wanted to leave it that way.
    09-28-2014 10:37 PM
    To the guy who has not let his phone update..... I think yours must be rooted? Verizon Forced the update on mine, while I had it in my hands and pressed the CANCEL button refusing the update. Then the damn thing rebooted while I was sending a text message and it updated against my wishes. I still had 4.4.2 and wanted to leave it that way.
    Correct. As soon as I bought it, it wanted to do an OTA. I got online and Googled to see what the update would affect, and I didn't like what I read, so after a few days of hitting postpone, I rooted it and froze the update app. I also froze a bunch of things that I didn't think I needed. The beauty of freezing something rather than removing it is that if it's something you ended up needing, you don't have to worry about whether you can find it again. I've had phones that wouldn't take installs of stock, original apps. It's weird.

Anyway, I'm on 4.4.2 and I'm perfectly happy like this. If I can't get the updates, I won't know what I'm missing, right?
    09-28-2014 10:51 PM
    I made my decision and ended up rooting the phone after all. Reason being was that all of the bloat ware apps kept on updating automatically even when I turned them off. I got the Uninstaller app and completely removed the apps and now I regret nothing. (Also solved the lag issue which is so darn sweet. I'm content now). Also got adblock plus and that is also useful. I won't jump into flashing ROMs yet though. :I

09-29-2014 02:17 AM
    I made my decision and ended up rooting the phone after all. Reason being was that all of the bloat ware apps kept on updating automatically even when I turned them off. I got the Uninstaller app and completely removed the apps and now I regret nothing. (Also solved the lag issue which is so darn sweet. I'm content now). Also got adblock plus and that is also useful. I won't jump into flashing ROMs yet though. :I

glad it worked out for you, now just settle in and get used to your phone.
    09-29-2014 05:12 AM