Verizon TS Wants Me to Do a FR for "Wet Finger"/Screen Freeze Issue

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have decided to exchange my phone for a new one due to it's overly sensitivity to water or humidity. I've never had mine in the water. The most it's ever had on the screen was a little splash or a rain sprinkle. When that happens, the screen freezes and won't unfreeze for about 3-5 minutes. A far cry from water resistant in 3 ft of water for up to 30 minutes! So I finally call and they're able to check all sorts of settings on my phone (it was kinda creepy). Everything checked out fine. They asked if the usb door was still attached. Yes. I'm sure they were hoping I'd say no so they could say "well sorry but that voids the warranty!". They want to perform a factory reset, saying that it's software that's causing the issue. Oh NO! It took me months to get this phone just the way I want it (sometimes too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing...being able to make all these changes). I really don't believe it's software. There are sensor/hardware issues. The phone has been like this since I bought it.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so did you exchange your phone without having to do the FR first?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Tech support usually never let's you exchange without a factory reset. It's part of their troubleshooting and rightfully so because it solves a lot of problems. If you end up exchanging it, you'll have to start all over anyway so what's the problem with doing a FR?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
the problem is not having a phone here to transfer stuff over from the old phone. I know I'm going to have to go thru the set up (maybe twice) but, for me, to have both phones here at the same time, it will be a lot easier to transition. I don't think my husband or I have ever had to do a FR before exchanging a phone.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Use Samsung Kies to backup your phone and all its setting to a PC before doing a full reset.

Posted via Galaxy s5

ditto, this will make a carbon image of your phone's system settings, will retain the apps and the contacts and data.

but, it will NOT retain any of the home page settings, so you best make a lot of Screenshots so you have something to refer back to.

OR, install Nova Launcher and use that to backup apps and home page screens.
Nova will import your current TouchWiz home page setup faithfully.. at least it did for me.

then do a backup on Nova via email to yourself and store that backup file on your PC.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I thought of that but with all the info he was reciting back to me concerning my phone, I figured he would know if I had or not.
Yeah, I used to just tell them I had, but if you go into settings and then go to about phone and then status, it can tell exactly when you did your last FR.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I used to just tell them I had, but if you go into settings and then go to about phone and then status, it can tell exactly when you did your last FR.

What. the. EFF. I don't remember ever giving them permission to remotely access my devices. How has this not been reported on?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have never given them permission to access my phone. I don't remember all the things he said he confirming about my phone and settings but I remember saying, "how do you know all this about my phone? That just doesn't seem like you should be able to see that".

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
the problem is not having a phone here to transfer stuff over from the old phone. I know I'm going to have to go thru the set up (maybe twice) but, for me, to have both phones here at the same time, it will be a lot easier to transition. I don't think my husband or I have ever had to do a FR before exchanging a phone.

I would ensure, for the future, you always have your information backed up elsewhere besides on the phone. Such as I have all my contacts, calendar events, notes ,etc. syncd to Google... and then Google + for photos along with Dropbox for additional backup. That way if the phone is damaged in any way I lose nothing.

Just an FYI -- As for your question it is very normal for a carrier to ask you to try a factory reset before allowing an exchange.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm 100% sure this has nothing to do with a FR. It's going to be a total waste of time because I'm just going to have to redo everything when they finally say, "looks like you were right. You'll have your phone tomorrow" (which well end up being day after tomorrow). That's what's got me more annoyed than anything. My contacts and calendar are backed up with Google sync. I can make copies of my pictures and transfer them to the PC. There is nothing I'd miss terribly in the way of photos or videos. Those that I do want to save are on the PC. Apps can be redownloaded from the Play Store. If I thought this was anything a FR could fix, I would have done that ages ago. What do you guys think? The phone works fine in about 3-5 minutes after it's had a little splash, sprinkle or used with damp hands and dried.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have never given them permission to access my phone. I don't remember all the things he said he confirming about my phone and settings but I remember saying, "how do you know all this about my phone? That just doesn't seem like you should be able to see that".
What could they see in your phone? Texts? Pictures?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have never given them permission to access my phone.

Yes you did. Verizon | About You - Privacy Policy - Full Privacy Policy

"We collect information about your use of our products, services and sites. Information such as call records, websites visited, wireless location, application and feature usage, network traffic data, product and device-specific information and identifiers, service options you choose, mobile and device numbers, video streaming and video packages and usage, movie rental and purchase data, FiOS TV viewership, and other similar information may be used for billing purposes, to deliver and maintain products and services, or to help you with service-related issues or questions."

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution for this problem ? Im on AT&T and same thing happened. .when screen gets wet from the rain or any water you cant do anything until you dry off the screen.

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall them saying anything about texts or pictures, I just don't remember exactly what it was. Just that it was information I was not comfortable with them knowing. Not that I have anything to hide, but he just knew way too much (imo).

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution for this problem ? Im on AT&T and same thing happened. .when screen gets wet from the rain or any water you cant do anything until you dry off the screen.

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5
What you're describing is normal. It's very hard to operate a screen when it's wet because the screen is capacitive. After you dry it, it goes back to normal. It shouldn't however take 3 to 5 minutes to respond again like the OP is describing. I don't think a FR will help their problem but I really don't see a way around doing it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1