Anybody using VoLTE (advanced calling 1.0)?

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I want to add this feature but I am wondering if there are issues created by this technology.

Also, I have a UDP and upgraded using the Best Buy method. Changing this feature will have no impact on my plan, right?

Posted via Android Central App

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have it and it works just fine. I also have UDP.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the reply. I am going to wait on enabling it for one reason. Nobody else that I talk to has a phone capable of advanced calling right now. I literally only can think of one person with an iPhone 6 and one with an S5 that I know have Verizon. Neither of these people do I ever talk to on the phone.

On second thought I might just enable it anyways. Eventually the people I talk to will start to have it.

Posted via the Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Totally useless, UNLESS all of your contacts are on Verizon AND they all have SMartphones that can use it.

I turned the damn thing off.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Totally useless, UNLESS all of your contacts are on Verizon AND they all have SMartphones that can use it.

I turned the damn thing off.

Yes but when my wife gets a new phone it will be totally useful since 75% of my phone calls are her (lots of short calls at work but I won't count that).

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife hates telephones, refuses to use them unless our son calls from somewhere on the other side of the world.

Her phone is a 1x box

Amore514

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the new Moto X and quickly returned it! Once i found out you can not make a call and use data @ the same time was a bummer. i hear this might be a think once Verizon releases Advanced Dialing 1.0 but this is not the phone for me until VoLTE (Advanced Dialing 1.0) is released.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My wife hates telephones, refuses to use them unless our son calls from somewhere on the other side of the world.

Her phone is a 1x box
Lucky. My wife calls me all of the time and it's usually for stuff she could have text me about lol. We both have S5s and I've noticed the difference in call quality. I like the new feature.

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I want to add this feature but I am wondering if there are issues created by this technology.

Also, I have a UDP and upgraded using the Best Buy method. Changing this feature will have no impact on my plan, right?

I can't answer the latter part of your question.. But as far as the HD voice.. It is totally amazing.. the difference in quality is very impressive and very noticeable. As long as you have a good 4G-LTE signal it works great. Unfortunately I have Verizon as my carrier and if I move into a weak 4G area and my phone falls back to 3G, the call will drop unlike T-Mobile where it will auto adjust the call and you keep on talking.

Plus T-Mobile offers calls over WiFi and unlimited data. I will be moving to T-Mobile sooner than later.. Will have to get a new S5 but that's ok. Wish I had known about all this before I went with Verizon..

freightguy70

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I turned it off. I tried talking with a couple people who DID NOT have it. No noticeable difference in quality. Also they complained my voice sounded choppy. So that was my experience.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S5

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I turned it off. I tried talking with a couple people who DID NOT have it. No noticeable difference in quality. Also they complained my voice sounded choppy. So that was my experience.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S5

Do you think that the advanced calling feature made your call quality worse when you had a regular connection? I would think regular calls would be unaffected but also value your personal experience.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that the advanced calling feature made your call quality worse when you had a regular connection? I would think regular calls would be unaffected but also value your personal experience.

Yes, regular calls were made much worse. There was a constant white "hissing" noise when the caller on the other end talked. Made for a very annoying conversation. I disabled it and the noise went away.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, regular calls were made much worse. There was a constant white "hissing" noise when the caller on the other end talked. Made for a very annoying conversation. I disabled it and the noise went away.

This is an interesting discussion. I wonder why regular calls are affected?

Can anyone else report any negative results?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is an interesting discussion. I wonder why regular calls are affected?

Can anyone else report any negative results?

I'd like to know too and I've seen one other person mention it on Android Central. I've enabled it again and its hissing so I once again turned it off.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know too and I've seen one other person mention it on Android Central. I've enabled it again and its hissing so I once again turned it off.

I had no change in regular phone calls. I normally don't talk on the phone much but have had to talk on the phone more lately and have had no complaints from the people on the other end. Hope you can get yours working right

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had no change in regular phone calls. I normally don't talk on the phone much but have had to talk on the phone more lately and have had no complaints from the people on the other end. Hope you can get yours working right

The issue is I hear the hissing, not them. I disabled it though and could care less considering if you lose 4G you also lose the call.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The issue is I hear the hissing, not them. I disabled it though and could care less considering if you lose 4G you also lose the call.

Ah ok. Yeah I don't hear that. And 4G is solid in my area. It never drops unless I'm in the basement at the hospital.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I set up advanced calling tonight. I called my wife when I was leaving work and she commented that she thought I had a call coming in on the other line because I cut out for a second like I had a beep. She knew nothing of me changing call settings. She sounded fine from my end. I must agree that call quality seems to suffer when not using the HD calling feature.

If you go into your contacts there will be a group called "Video". This group will consist of every one of your contacts that has VoLTE enabled with Verizon. My list initially had most of my contacts in it but as the phone checked with Verizons servers the list quickly dwindled down to just myself. Apparently I have zero friends or coworkers who have enabled advanced calling.

In the end I have disabled the feature but I am positive that once Verizon gets the bugs out I will be using it again. I live in a market that has some of the best LTE coverage in the country. We are a test market and are always the first to so new features like xlte.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the new Moto X and quickly returned it! Once i found out you can not make a call and use data @ the same time was a bummer. i hear this might be a think once Verizon releases Advanced Dialing 1.0 but this is not the phone for me until VoLTE (Advanced Dialing 1.0) is released.

VoLTE is already available. It's just not available on the Moto X until a software update comes for that phone.