Anybody using VoLTE (advanced calling 1.0)?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the new Moto X and quickly returned it! Once i found out you can not make a call and use data @ the same time was a bummer. i hear this might be a think once Verizon releases Advanced Dialing 1.0 but this is not the phone for me until VoLTE (Advanced Dialing 1.0) is released.

Um, what? I find that hard to believe. Every Android phone I've ever used allowed Talk+Data at the same time while on LTE. Some phones, such as the Droid line, even did it on 3G. Why wouldn't the X?

In fact, the only phone I've "tried" that didn't allow this was the iPhone 5.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Um, what? I find that hard to believe. Every Android phone I've ever used allowed Talk+Data at the same time while on LTE. Some phones, such as the Droid line, even did it on 3G. Why wouldn't the X?

Sadly, it's true. No voice + data on the Moto X 2nd Gen yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, it's true. No voice + data on the Moto X 2nd Gen yet.

Unbelievable, that's a huge step backwards if you ask me. I would never buy a phone knowing that and if I found out later I'd return it.

That's just unacceptable. I ran a Google search and found out the feature won't work until an update arrives to enable Advanced Calling 1.0. Considering the poor call quality to non-LTE devices I've experienced on the S5, I would prefer not to be forced to use the feature.

The worst part about this is that it appears the Moto X (2014) won't be the only device to do this. Future Verizon devices look to follow suite which should have everyone up in anger. Especially considering if you leave an LTE area the call drops!

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Unbelievable, that's a huge step backwards if you ask me. I would never buy a phone knowing that and if I found out later I'd return it.

That's just unacceptable. I ran a Google search and found out the feature won't work until an update arrives to enable Advanced Calling 1.0. Considering the poor call quality to non-LTE devices I've experienced on the S5, I would prefer not to be forced to use the feature.

The worst part about this is that it appears the Moto X (2014) won't be the only device to do this. Future Verizon devices look to follow suite which should have everyone up in anger. Especially considering if you leave an LTE area the call drops!

Agreed, can't believe the users are being forced to do without a feature that's become a standard. It's this plus the water resistance of the S5 that will change my decision to get the new X. It's too bad -I love what Moto is doing with their devices.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, can't believe the users are being forced to do without a feature that's become a standard. It's this plus the water resistance of the S5 that will change my decision to get the new X. It's too bad -I love what Moto is doing with their devices.

Agreed. Maybe the Droid Turbo on Verizon will break the trend. If not, I'm looking at a Note 4 or maybe an HTC One M9. ;)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

You must have a much better S5 than the one I have.

I have a 4g showing in the display, BUT it WILL NOT let me use the internet while on a phone call.

Never has, and I doubt that it ever will. Not as long as we are stuck with the CDMA mess.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

I have a 4g showing in the display, BUT it WILL NOT let me use the internet while on a phone call.

Never has, and I doubt that it ever will. Not as long as we are stuck with the CDMA mess.

There must be something wrong then, because it's fact that you should be able to use data while on a voice call. My first Galaxy was the S3 and that could do it with no issue. My S4 could also do it, as could my Thunderbolt, BlackBerry Q10, Moto X (2013), all on Verizon. For most devices, you do need to be connected to LTE to have simultaneous voice and data - the data uses LTE and the call uses CDMA (1x). Your S5 is absolutely capable of this.

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I just tested this. I am on Verizon. I used my office landline phone to call my S5 on 4G (Wifi not connected), and successfully surfed the web while the call was connected. FWIW, I am in the Milwaukee area and always have a strong LTE signal.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

You must have a defective phone. Mine and everybody else I know who has an S5 can do both. Might want to call Verizon about that.

Boston119

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey Scipper,

I live in Mass my father in Tuscon AZ i have been playing around with many apps to Video Call From my phone Galaxy S5 to Iphone 6 his phone...we are both on Verizon and both have UDP ..we both activated VOLTE. Video call went great dropped a few times but we loved it. And the only free useful app we found that worked between galaxy s5 and iphone 6 was "Viber" its great. I mean we couldnt even get hangouts to work. Skype cost money.

Ok then....we tried calling each other without video call, I dialed him regular With VOLTE turned on i called him and he said he could not hear me at all...this did NOT work at all :( I then turned VOLTE off....he could hear me perfectly. So in my experience galaxy s5 to iphone 6 video call great but useless in making a phone call to him turned on. I still have VOLTE on my phone but only use it for vido calls to dad. When it gets its bugs worked out i will happily activate it...who doesn't want HD crystsl clear calls.....Will keep eyes and ears open if anyone hears of a fix or if it gets better please let me know thankyou guys ;)

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey Scipper,

I live in Mass my father in Tuscon AZ i have been playing around with many apps to Video Call From my phone Galaxy S5 to Iphone 6 his phone...we are both on Verizon and both have UDP ..we both activated VOLTE. Video call went great dropped a few times but we loved it. And the only free useful app we found that worked between galaxy s5 and iphone 6 was "Viber" its great. I mean we couldnt even get hangouts to work. Skype cost money.

Ok then....we tried calling each other without video call, I dialed him regular With VOLTE turned on i called him and he said he could not hear me at all...this did NOT work at all :( I then turned VOLTE off....he could hear me perfectly. So in my experience galaxy s5 to iphone 6 video call great but useless in making a phone call to him turned on. I still have VOLTE on my phone but only use it for vido calls to dad. When it gets its bugs worked out i will happily activate it...who doesn't want HD crystsl clear calls.....Will keep eyes and ears open if anyone hears of a fix or if it gets better please let me know thankyou guys ;)

Just wanted to say thank you for an informative post.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995