This phone is insane. I never reached these speeds on my iOS devices.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Almost all nodes are fiber equipped (according to the supervisor tech in my area mine isn't but I think he's on something - talked to him because our area is extremely over subscribed. The node is overwhelmed at night and I go from 50-65/13 to 3/13).

To put it simply: from Comcast's 'main servers' to the node is all ran on fiber. Then the 'last mile' is ran from the node to your house with copper wiring, unless of course you have a fiber provider like Google Fiber or AT&T U-Verse.
Well my house is two doors down from a decent sized/updated shopping center, and there's a piece of land that's soon to be developed so I'm sure there's no doubt that the fiber wire runs up to the node that's right off the corner of the intersection the shopping center is on. There's one up the road a couple blocks too, but I think it's an AT&T hub.

Now I just wish ALL my connected devices had speeds this quick!

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Nothing has changed about my internet, no upgrades or anything. I have the Comcast Blast service and it's supposed to be 50mbps, although they advertise they're doubling speeds on their plans. Could it be that the S5 just has a better wifi chipset than my iPad/iPhone 5 and is actually capable of a connection this quick?

Either way I'm stoked and can't believe I'm actually reaching these speeds
View attachment 139499

EDIT: I'm running the phone on ART runtime, it runs surprisingly well on ART and I've had no issues unlike some of the threads I've seen. Could this have any positive effect towards this performance I'm seeing?

It's likely the antenna, I couldn't get anywhere near 30 mbps on my gs3 and in certain areas I wouldn't even have a signal, with the iPhone 6+ I can get up to 60mbps and get a strong signal in areas which I couldn't before.

It's nothing to do with any OS, just has to do with the antennas in the device.

Sent from my 128gb iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk via Sprint Spark

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Well my house is two doors down from a decent sized/updated shopping center, and there's a piece of land that's soon to be developed so I'm sure there's no doubt that the fiber wire runs up to the node that's right off the corner of the intersection the shopping center is on. There's one up the road a couple blocks too, but I think it's an AT&T hub.

Now I just wish ALL my connected devices had speeds this quick!
Just curious, have you tried a hardwire speedtest?

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm running a Netgear N900. Right before I bought it I tried a Linksys AC router because I thought "hey I'm going to upgrade my devices in the future, I might as well have the best possible connection when they show up". Except the thing SUCKED on all my devices, it was super slow and connections didn't go very far. I purchased the N900 for my aunt about two months prior as she wanted a router that would reach her guest house about 50 yards away and it did the job well. So I went back and exchanged the Linksys for that. I can stream movies in my hammock in my back yard all day long without a single issue.

It very well could be a fiber network leading up to the HUB that's near my house, I don't think it runs straight through though. I can run basically any Comcast service I desire at my location, so I would assume fiber has to be ran very close up to my address for me to have those options

The reading you were getting was for your WIFI not 4g. So what ever network you were logged into is really good .

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
It's likely the antenna, I couldn't get anywhere near 30 mbps on my gs3 and in certain areas I wouldn't even have a signal, with the iPhone 6+ I can get up to 60mbps and get a strong signal in areas which I couldn't before.

It's nothing to do with any OS, just has to do with the antennas in the device.

Sent from my 128gb iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk via Sprint Spark
I know it's not due to either OS being better than the other, my iPad and iPhone are both about 2 years old, my laptop three. So I figured the wifi chip/antenna in the S5 has got to be better the others

Just curious, have you tried a hardwire speedtest?
I have but it's been almost a year since I have, when I first hooked the new router up

The reading you were getting was for your WIFI not 4g. So what ever network you were logged into is really good .
I know it's my wifi and not the LTE network in town. The test was on my home network and it's a Comcast server. I was just incredibly surprised to see that this phone is capable of that connection speed in my network, whereas any other device I've had paired to it was half that at most

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I would try another hardwire test out of curiosity. If the hardwire test is 'normal' speeds then something funky with Speedtest is going on.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
So I finally hooked up my laptop up to do a wired test, first I logged into my router to check for updates and what not, speeds were the same on my devices wirelessly after the update. But using Comcast's speed test (I know theres more accurate ways to test but I wanted quick) this is what I came up with wired to my PC

654987344.png

Now THIS is flat out insane, even if its not 100% accurate which I'm sure it's not, especially since it's such a cruddy upload speed

My original point though, in regards to the speed on my S5, was basically that my iOS devices have never connected to my wireless networks art that speed before.. I'm very happy either way :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So I finally hooked up my laptop up to do a wired test, first I logged into my router to check for updates and what not, speeds were the same on my devices wirelessly after the update. But using Comcast's speed test (I know theres more accurate ways to test but I wanted quick) this is what I came up with wired to my PC

View attachment 139999

Now THIS is flat out insane, even if its not 100% accurate which I'm sure it's not, especially since it's such a cruddy upload speed

My original point though, in regards to the speed on my S5, was basically that my iOS devices have never connected to my wireless networks art that speed before.. I'm very happy either way :)

I'm quite surprised your upload is so slow if you have Comcast. I have over 20 Mbps upload with my 125-133 Download speeds.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite surprised your upload is so slow if you have Comcast. I have over 20 Mbps upload with my 125-133 Download speeds.

I don't know why they were that slow with the wired test, usually they're an average of about 15 upload sometimes higher. 3 was extraordinarily low.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to call comcast. Not getting close to the speeds on WiFi that I should. Here's a shot of mixed WiFi and lte tests this morning.
4d534b2fc2af9150810b6fd47cabb5b2.jpg

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to call comcast. Not getting close to the speeds on WiFi that I should. Here's a shot of mixed WiFi and lte tests this morning. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/07/4d534b2fc2af9150810b6fd47cabb5b2.jpg

Are you using the phone modem which has a built in router? If so, that's your problem. My friend was using a combo Gateway (not Comcast's, her own) and had issues. I disabled the networking and she got a real router and issue is solved.

Note: Comcast has told me that doing this on their modem is possible but does not work well. A Google search does the same thing and I was advised if its an issue drop the phone. This was the highest end tech support. I don't have the phone but I do have a never activated modem, lol.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the phone modem which has a built in router? If so, that's your problem. My friend was using a combo Gateway (not Comcast's, her own) and had issues. I disabled the networking and she got a real router and issue is solved.

Note: Comcast has told me that doing this on their modem is possible but does not work well. A Google search does the same thing and I was advised if its an issue drop the phone. This was the highest end tech support. I don't have the phone but I do have a never activated modem, lol.

I have a voice modem, a ubee model. I power cycled it then same for netgear wndr3500 (I think) then switched WiFi to 5ghz ac and now have some decent speeds.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-07-21-44-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-07-21-44-50.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 7

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a voice modem, a ubee model. I power cycled it then same for netgear wndr3500 (I think) then switched WiFi to 5ghz ac and now have some decent speeds.

Does your modem have a built in router though? I hope you're not doubling theirs with yours.

5GHz tends to be better anyways due to less things using it compared to 2.4 Ghz

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Does your modem have a built in router though? I hope you're not doubling theirs with yours.

5GHz tends to be better anyways due to less things using it compared to 2.4 Ghz

Nope, no built in router on the modem.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so yeah stick to the 5ghz if possible.

Not necessarily. If it's a large house or if it was built with certain materials, the 5GHz band would be a bad idea. I live in a tiny apartment so 5GHz presents no problems. My parents live in a 3000 square foot home. Their R7000 has difficulty hitting the corners of the house with the 5GHz band and it has one of the best range ratings of a router on the market today.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily. If it's a large house or if it was built with certain materials, the 5GHz band would be a bad idea. I live in a tiny apartment so 5GHz presents no problems. My parents live in a 3000 square foot home. Their R7000 has difficulty hitting the corners of the house with the 5GHz band and it has one of the best range ratings of a router on the market today.

For most I believe 5 GHz will work .. you parents are an exception due to a 3k sq ft home and depending on how strong the router is that could be effecting it. I have a 1.6k sq ft home and I can get my 5 GHz anywhere in the house .. even past the neighbors house .. and my home is made out of brick :). I use an ASUS RT-AC68U (Amazon.com: ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories) which is a beast so it pushes wifi a long way.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
For most I believe 5 GHz will work .. you parents are an exception due to a 3k sq ft home and depending on how strong the router is that could be effecting it. I have a 1.6k sq ft home and I can get my 5 GHz anywhere in the house .. even past the neighbors house .. and my home is made out of brick :). I use an ASUS RT-AC68U (Amazon.com: ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories) which is a beast so it pushes wifi a long way.
The 68U is a beast. I had them buy the Netgear Nighthawk (R7000) which is also a beast. LAN speeds are crazy. No need to wire anymore.

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
For those that are getting speeds below what you feel they should be.. I have a suggestion.. About a year ago I had a linksys N router (100Mbps). The best throughput I could get over my comcast connection was 2Mbps down and maybe a 3rd that up. I could not stream youtube videos as they would constantly
buffer.. I tried all the different channels on the router with no difference. Tried the different bands etc but still no help. I went and bought a newer Linksys AC /1Gbps router and wowza.. Now I am getting anywhere from 25-30 mbps down and 5-7mbps up.. no buffering what so ever.

I have 2 SSID's setup.. One for the 2Ghz channel and one for the 5Ghz channel and did not see a huge speed difference.

Just a thought...