Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't tell you if there is a difference because I loaded nova right away. I get good battery life and have never noticed a difference on any of my phones. I have used nova for years.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had my phone since release day and used TouchWiz until about six weeks ago.

Nova had no effect on the battery life at all, zilch, nada, zip.

There is nothing going on with a launcher until you touch a button/icon.

What will use up a lot of battery is fancy wallpapers that keep changing, or using 3D effects.

I turned all that stuff OFF and used a solid BLACK background.

Here is what my battery life looks like.

Attachments

• 22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    22 Hrs on battery.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 65

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone since release day and used TouchWiz until about six weeks ago.

Nova had no effect on the battery life at all, zilch, nada, zip.

There is nothing going on with a launcher until you touch a button/icon.

What will use up a lot of battery is fancy wallpapers that keep changing, or using 3D effects.

I turned all that stuff OFF and used a solid BLACK background.

Here is what my battery life looks like.

Wait so having a scrolling background uses battery?

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Wait so having a scrolling background uses battery?

If the display is moving, the cpu is having to do graphics computation, so yes, it does use a bit more power than just setting idle.

If the scroll you mean is because of you using your finger to scroll it up, the battery drain on that is miniscule.

I meant that a lot of scrolling graphics with 3D animations all require extra cpu power, and yes, will result in more battery use than a simple black wallpaper. The graphics require the display pixels to light up brighter and that uses even more power.

Black is as power conservative as you can get, no drain to make a black pixel. It just isn't lit up.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If the display is moving, the cpu is having to do graphics computation, so yes, it does use a bit more power than just setting idle.

If the scroll you mean is because of you using your finger to scroll it up, the battery drain on that is miniscule.

I meant that a lot of scrolling graphics with 3D animations all require extra cpu power, and yes, will result in more battery use than a simple black wallpaper. The graphics require the display pixels to light up brighter and that uses even more power.

Black is as power conservative as you can get, no drain to make a black pixel. It just isn't lit up.

Okay. Well, do you have any idea why the phone wakes up more? Like I look in the stats and it wakes everybfew minutes

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Well, do you have any idea why the phone wakes up more? Like I look in the stats and it wakes everybfew minutes

No, I don't.

My method of resolving the wake up issue is to turn off the internet when the screen is locked.

If I am not holding the phone in my hand and actually using it, having access to the internet is pointless, and a waste of data, and a waste of battery power.

I turned OFF all of the apps that I don't use. Leave the Sync turned OFF, and only have one social app (Facebook) and that is not allowed to sync up ever. If I want to know what is happening on FB, I will start the FB app and look to see. And that don't happen but maybe once a week... I am just not addicted to social apps and likely never will be.

What I am addicted to is my Kindle paperwhite book reader... since I got that, the TV is feeling very lonesome.... poor thing goes for days at a time w/o getting to show me who killed who.

I also turned OFF all of the animation and 3D effects, Air Gestures, Wave motions, all of that stuff is OFF. My phone has never turned itself on in my pocket.

The above does not mean that I don't have use for a smart phone, I do, but it is at my Beck and Call, not someone elses. I do not allow anything except SMS to alert me period.

I spent 45 years in the communications industry tied to a pager/phone/ cow bells.... Tweren't no cell phones in 1958 when I started fixing electronics.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Idk, just ever since I installed nova launcher, my phone has been constantly waking. Care to notice, I never use airplane mode and my phone still never woke. But since recently, my phone wakes. Why does nova wake it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-05-18-59-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-05-18-59-25.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 23

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure that Nova is the culprit?

Don't uninstall Nova, but just for a day jump back to TouchWiz (Nova provides shortcuts for this) and watch it to see if it still awakes... I'm thinking that it will.

My phone rarely "just wakes up" on its' own. There is always a bonafide reason and I can see what it is by pulling down the notifications bar.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Idk, just ever since I installed nova launcher, my phone has been constantly waking. Care to notice, I never use airplane mode and my phone still never woke. But since recently, my phone wakes. Why does nova wake it?

Nova has zero impact on battery or keeping the phone awake, i use it to.

Looking at your screeny your phone is mostly only awake when the screen is on, which is normal. Apart from the chunk/block of time near the end. Maybe something was syncing in the background which explains why your wifi then lit up afterwards.

Also your cell reception looks a bit patchy its more likely that which is causing battery drain. Or a rogue app.