03-09-2015 12:03 PM
55 123
tools
    Screen on time is 2h. I'm on Vz, stock, latest updates. No video playback, only AC app, Web surfing, maybe 10 minutes call, some app updates over WiFi, couple of emails. Signal strength was always 3+ bars.

This is getting on my nerves, as battery was stellar in the first month after purchase. Then, it went down the drain overnight. I should add that I did not install any apps prior to observing the battery life getting bad.
    I'm on Edge and will upgrade again next May so I don't want to invest in getting additional batteries, chargers and the such...
    I read threads and threads of ppl claiming two days battery life without doing anything special to their phone, but unless it's on UPSM, I don't see how that is possible. Greenify is a waste as I think Samsung and Android already optimize their systems. Any suggestions? Thanks, I better keep this short to preserve some battery

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-10-14-34-20.jpg  
    10-10-2014 02:43 PM
    2 days of battery life is possible. I've gone 6 days and battery life was at 10% with 5 hours of screen time. It all depends on your screen time or how you use your phones, apps, games and such. But lately I've been getting only 4 hours compared to before.
    10-10-2014 03:17 PM
    Weird, Has to be something running or verizon. I get normally 16hrs w 4hrs screen on. Have gotten 30hrs with light use.

10-11-2014 01:19 AM
    Ok here are my tips on battery life and they work
    1. Turn of active sync
    2. Bluetooth turn off
    3. GP'S turn off
    4. Social apps set them to manual sync or remove them and use via the browser instead
    5. Network apps these tend to run in the background
    6. Look at the running apps section see what is running and close third party apps
    7. Widgets .. close widgets you don't use

Posted via the Android Central App
    Geoff Raymond likes this.
    10-11-2014 06:28 AM
    1. Turn of active sync
    2. Bluetooth turn off
    3. GP'S turn off
    4. Social apps set them to manual sync or remove them and use via the browser instead
    6. Look at the running apps section see what is running and close third party apps

I don't think that is there problem. Everything you have listed I keep on and get at least 1 day plus out of my s5.
    10-11-2014 08:29 AM
    So what is my problem, guys? Task manager doesn't show any apps running, the battery usage screen doesn't show anything unusual. How can I get to the bottom of this? I tried greenify and other apps to detect and close wake locks bit with no success

10-11-2014 10:11 AM
    install Battery Doctor app, it will diagnose what is running and allow you disable the battery hogs
    10-11-2014 10:19 AM
    1. Turn of active sync
    2. Bluetooth turn off
    3. GP'S turn off

The moment I turn off auto sync I might as well get a flip phone. My blackberry Curve, back in the day had 2 day battery life with auto sync on for emails, Facebook, Twitter, messaging apps... Pretty much what I use this phone for.

10-11-2014 10:24 AM
    if you have then running the phone will use Battery power, I'm not saying keep these off
    Its a proses of elimination, your complaining of battery loss and wanting some one to come up with a wonder fix well this is going to involve some testing
    I get two and half days out of one charge as i manual sync.
    if you want to use Sync and social networks then your battery will vanish, this is whey Samsung made two Battery saving apps
    that do shut stuff off
    Network Firmware can also be the cause as they put bloated apps on that people have no idea as there hidden in the system folder
    they also use data and pass on info that your not aware of and run in the back ground
    I found this out as a Non Network phone installs 129 apps after a restart , were as a Network Bloated instals 179 Apps five of these apps can be disabled so what's the rest ?
    what Firmware is on this phone ??
    In the UK Vodafone rolled out a update to the HTC one and with in days people were complaining of massive battery drain
    this was a Communication app called RCS that was running in the back ground that no one could see
    I'm sure between us we can get to the bottom of what is causing this
    can you post a screen shot of the running apps
    and in Battery info press the Android system and another list will show can you post that list
    Then we can compare to see if something is draining
    10-11-2014 11:18 AM
    Here's all the info you asked for. Doing a quick scan of the processes, I don't see anything out of ordinary or that I could turn off. My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-53-36.jpg

Attached Thumbnails My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-53-41.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-53-32.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-53-27.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-52-59.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-52-52.jpg  

My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-52-35.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-11-11-52-27.jpg  
    10-11-2014 11:55 AM
    The moment I turn off auto sync I might as well get a flip phone. My blackberry Curve, back in the day had 2 day battery life with auto sync on for emails, Facebook, Twitter, messaging apps... Pretty much what I use this phone for.

This is your culprit here. You leave auto sync on and wifi/data on. Try this when you go to sleep at night, turn of airplane mode and see if the battery drain disappear, if it does then you have got your answer.
    10-11-2014 11:58 AM
    is the battery better on this phone compared to the s4? my pops always complains about the battery draining on his s4 and is contemplating upgrading to the s5
    10-11-2014 02:47 PM
    Here's mine with damn near the same usage as yours
    Attached Thumbnails My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-1413061474808.jpg  
    10-11-2014 05:04 PM
    So what is my problem, guys? Task manager doesn't show any apps running, the battery usage screen doesn't show anything unusual. How can I get to the bottom of this? I tried greenify and other apps to detect and close wake locks bit with no success

Inspect your battery. If it has bulging or leakage, immediately dispose of it and get a replacement battery.

sent through a tiny hole on a brick wall
    10-11-2014 08:26 PM

I was getting close to 2 days before recharging at around 11%. Screen time about 2.5 hours. Since the update, I've seen 2 days 11 hours with roughly the same screen time. I leave everything on (BT, GPS, sync, etc). What I DON'T do that you said you do is social media. Maybe that's the key. Social media is over rated anyway

ps...I don't have any widgets running either. I may have one. Not sure if the memo pad is a widget or not. My daughter said widgets use a lot of battery juice. Here is my current battery screen shot. The screen time is 1 hour, 40 mins and 27 secs. And my screen brightness has been on 100% all day It's normally at about 30%. Turned it up and forgot to turn it back down.

My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-12-01-26-55.jpg
    10-12-2014 02:22 AM
    dadathepanda, I've been having the same problems.

I haven't changed my habits at all or downloaded anything new but did install the most recent VZW update.

I've tried system scanners, nothing helping. My phone is dead by lunch time.
    10-12-2014 11:07 AM
    That's really good though. I have 6 1/2 hours and I'm at 37 percent.
    10-13-2014 01:10 PM
    How do these look guys? I need help, my battery life is terrible. I just factory reset the phone too. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-13-17-22-51.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-13-17-22-40.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-13-17-22-34.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-screenshot_2014-10-13-17-22-30.jpg  
    10-13-2014 05:26 PM
    I'm at 46% of after 10 hours and 2.5 hours of screen time. I call this a victory. Here's what I did: installed battery doctor and also checked under Settings, Applications, Running Apps which applications are running and if I didn't use, I installed or disabled. The remote control app was always on, as well as transparent weather and a few other.

10-13-2014 06:10 PM
    How do these look guys? I need help, my battery life is terrible. I just factory reset the phone too. Any help is appreciated.

I note that Instagram is high on your list.

You need to turn off any apps that you will never use as there is no point in them consuming power. Amazon is a bad battery hog. I disable all Amazon apps.

I also turned off S Health, don't use it, why waste the battery on it?

do that for everything you aren't using.

Take a look at what is sync'ing up with the internet all the time. Instagram for one is, Facebook, ie other social apps...

also, how much is the phone being used if the screen is not ON?

I took the approach that if the screen is not unlocked there is no need for the internet (WiFi, DATA) and I use MacroDroid to turn it off when the screen locks. MD also sees when the screen is Unlocked and turns the internet ON again.

I get the best of both worlds, lots of battery and access to the internet anytime I want it with a full battery.
    Attached Thumbnails My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-battery-2d-15h-33-.jpg   My Galaxy S5 battery life is poor-22-hrs-battery.jpg  
    10-13-2014 06:34 PM
    Seems you are using Facebook app and possibly Google+. Unfortunately those social media apps are not friendly to battery on android phones. Try setting manual sync on them. Or even disable, uninstall them and see how that goes. I personally don't use any social media apps and use browser instead to check it manually.

Not using Google+ means you can't access your photos on google account. But I use Picasa tool app that does it. And it's much lighter on battery than google photo app that syncs with Google+.
    10-13-2014 08:57 PM
    1. Turn of active sync
    2. Bluetooth turn off
    3. GP'S turn off

i agree, and also remember to turn wifi off when dont use
    10-13-2014 09:58 PM
    Something that I have always learned with batteries is never keep it plugged Over 100% because it can drain the life of how long the battery will last. Other possible is roaming. At my work I put my phone in airplane mode. Try doing the same and see if you have the same results.
    10-13-2014 10:04 PM
    Uh, that's not true Otto. Phones are smarter than they were. Ack in the 80s, they don't charge psst the charging point anymore. Learn more about batteries before you post random ****.
    10-13-2014 10:13 PM
    An article that may bring some light on what he was referencing

"So if you're really particular about optimizing your battery's life, you should try to go from around 40 percent to around 80 percent in one go, and then back down whenever possible. A bunch of tiny charges throughout the day is your second best bet, and going from zero to 100 and then 100 to zero on a regular basis will put the most strain on your lithium-ion battery."
    How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way
    10-13-2014 10:33 PM
55 123