Why is S5 being hated so much on blogs, medias?

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This is all a perfect example of why Apple and its rabbid fan base get bashed on relentlessly by Samsung's rabbid fan base. Android is the underdog within the media realm as far as I'm concerned.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I think folks need to realize that the less than 1 percent of people who read forums like this just use a phone because they like it, or because their friends like it. I'll be forever tempted to check out the latest and greatest. But... at some point, you just enjoy and appreciate what you have.

I'm not rich, but I could use disposable income to always have whatever is hot. Thing is - I'd never be satisfied 'cause there will always be something newer. There is a certain satisfaction in having a phone tweaked as you like it and just use it!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't do anything special other than keeping location off when not using GPS, disabling some carrier and samsung bloats.

I only reduced animation scales to 0.5x and it's very smooth and response most of time. Of course turning off S-voice, My magazine, Air view probably helped I guess though.

I expect and demand better from Samsung. I would accept things like the above from Huawei, or ZTE. But not Samsung, because they can do better. Touchwiz may not be universally loved, but it's one hell of an OS that has something for everyone. It's worth getting perfect IMO.

Having said that, the Note 3 and S5 Active are both phones that I keep up to date and use quite often. I just want some of these minor issues fixed by the largest smartphone maker on the planet, with the largest software group.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Although I've only had my phone for three weeks, I haven't really encountered much that I don't like about the phone. If I have one gripe, it's the back cover. I like the look and texture in white, but I don't like the fact that it creaks (didn't upon purchase but now it does). Is it a big enough gripe that I loathe the switch from my iPhone 5? Not at all.

For the first week or two, it was hit or miss. I wasn't so sure about my switch but there were indeed lots Of things I liked about it and Android over Apple. But now that I've had the chance to try apps for various different tasks and settle on those that make me s "I like this, I don't mind interacting with it in my day to day life", I am happy I purchased the S5. I wasn't really interested in any other Android flagships other than the Alpha but decided on the S5 instead. I'm honestly very happy that I did.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If you put the S5 in a case, You won't hear the back "creak" anymore. It will be protected from the environment and slippery hands.

In the first week I had the S5 I tried it for a very short time w/o the case.

IMO, it is just too hard to hold it w/o dropping it. And it is totally unsafe to use in a harsh job environment around heavy equipment. One slip and it is gone gone never to be seen again.

I keep mine in a rubbery case that has grip edges to it. Prevents it from slipping out of my hands, and makes it very hard to remove from your pocket accidentally.

I keep mine in my shirt pocket and it has never slipped out by itself.

* Speck CandyShell Grip- Black/Slate:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If you put the S5 in a case, You won't hear the back "creak" anymore. It will be protected from the environment and slippery hands.

In the first week I had the S5 I tried it for a very short time w/o the case.

IMO, it is just too hard to hold it w/o dropping it. And it is totally unsafe to use in a harsh job environment around heavy equipment. One slip and it is gone gone never to be seen again.

I keep mine in a rubbery case that has grip edges to it. Prevents it from slipping out of my hands, and makes it very hard to remove from your pocket accidentally.

I keep mine in my shirt pocket and it has never slipped out by itself.

* Speck CandyShell Grip- Black/Slate:

I still have creaking issues with a Diztronic case but I think its more or less due to a bad back. I ordered a new one.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I expect and demand better from Samsung. I would accept things like the above from Huawei, or ZTE. But not Samsung, because they can do better. Touchwiz may not be universally loved, but it's one hell of an OS that has something for everyone. It's worth getting perfect IMO.

Having said that, the Note 3 and S5 Active are both phones that I keep up to date and use quite often. I just want some of these minor issues fixed by the largest smartphone maker on the planet, with the largest software group.

Well, that's good point. But to be fair, I find other android phones not so different except Nexus. I have used LG, Motorola androids too. And I always had to turn off, disable some stuffs to get better performance than out of box settings.

I have G2 for my wife and had to turn off things like Q slide, Q note and some gesture features that's of no use for us and just hogs the performance and source of lags. Prior to S5, I was using Droid Razr HD and I turned off every feature that's called Moto something. Pretty much the same reason, battery and memory hogs and no use for me. But I admit S5 has a bit more things that I don't need. I hope they make it easier to turn off features or make it optional downloads.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I do have a case but I like the look and feel of the phone without one enough that I leave it off when I can. The one I do have is a super simple, semi transparent case that looks good but I still prefer it case-less. :) I've thought about ordering a new back piece in time if the problem doesn't go away, so we shall see...

Sam Roza

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Also many of the Badgers are Apple users..

Many of the haters I've encountered are Apple fanbois who are in love with their new iPhone 6x. When faced with facts-such as the fact that the new iPhone has barely caught up to Android phone technology of several years ago, they start badmouthing Samsung. Not once have I been told that the S5 is not an excellent phone...rather, I usually hear that Samsung has "lower profits" or that the S5 sold fewer units than expected which must mean that it is less desirable.

Not that those things matter to me-I'm not a stockholder. Just a guy who wants an S-series phone with excellent battery life, and all the features that come in a modern smartphone.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm very OCD so the creaking annoys me to no end. I think my next phone is an HTC One M9. Lol

My ears have so much Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that I could not hear a dog barking (a joke), but it is bad enough that my wife has to repeat things 2 and 3 times.....

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My ears have so much Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that I could not hear a dog barking (a joke), but it is bad enough that my wife has to repeat things 2 and 3 times.....

That's not good. :(

Do any of those medications help or is that all a sham?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AZgl1500

That's not good. :(

Do any of those medications help or is that all a sham?

There is an outfit by the name of "Arches" that is a heavy promoter (and expensive) of Tinnitus treatment supplements.
problem is, there is no, none, zip, proof of, or studies on, any of the components they list as being used to treat tinnitus.

They want you to subscribe to a $50/month plan to use their stuff. Then in little fine print, they suggest that it "might take" 3 to 6 months for you to notice any improvement.

I equate that to what my chiropractor said when I mentioned that I have Tinnitus. "Oh, I can help with that. How long have you had Tinnitus and how bad is it?"

When I replied, oh, not too long, just maybe 65 years or so? And the noises/ringing in my ears is louder than the train whistles that blow at our RR crossing every 15 minutes of the day and night. The chiropractor lady backed off and suggested that she could not help me..... and I suspect that is true of any "treatment" that is hawked by promoters. My medical doctor says there is No Known help for my condition.

( My property borders the RR tracks here and the RR crossing is at the NW corner of my acreage.... My dad worked for Rock Island Railroad 30 years so I am used to hearing noises "in the night"

Bridget Booth

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, it was because I didn't know any better. Honestly.

I used to rag on Android, in general, and Samsung, in particular, because I didn't know any better. All of my experiences had been with very early builds on low-end devices. In fact, I wouldn't have gotten my S5 if my L925 hadn't taken a swim in the Mississippi Sound. My love affair with my Samsung TV didn't hurt, either!

I think that's the thing, though, is that it's a phone that has to be lived with to appreciate it. It took me a few days to warm up to it, after my trusted sales rep sold me on one. It met my requirements: Water-proof, powerful, and with a decent camera.

Do I miss Cortana? Absolutely, but I don't miss the walled gardens that Microsoft and Apple keep their customers in with their operating systems. I've customized my S5 so much that it's way easier to use than even WP, which is saying a lot. I wonder if that's the problem, that reviewers can't live in the review models. Bias is a part, too, since so much of my opinion was informed by pro-Apple tech sites or other WP-users. Me, though? I'm loving my S5 and I don't regret it.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, it was because I didn't know any better. Honestly.

I used to rag on Android, in general, and Samsung, in particular, because I didn't know any better. All of my experiences had been with very early builds on low-end devices. In fact, I wouldn't have gotten my S5 if my L925 hadn't taken a swim in the Mississippi Sound. My love affair with my Samsung TV didn't hurt, either!

I think that's the thing, though, is that it's a phone that has to be lived with to appreciate it. It took me a few days to warm up to it, after my trusted sales rep sold me on one. It met my requirements: Water-proof, powerful, and with a decent camera.

Do I miss Cortana? Absolutely, but I don't miss the walled gardens that Microsoft and Apple keep their customers in with their operating systems. I've customized my S5 so much that it's way easier to use than even WP, which is saying a lot. I wonder if that's the problem, that reviewers can't live in the review models. Bias is a part, too, since so much of my opinion was informed by pro-Apple tech sites or other WP-users. Me, though? I'm loving my S5 and I don't regret it.
This is exactly how I felt about things, short of never really being harsh towards any other OS while I was on my iPhones. I always felt that if what you had worked for you, more power to ya. And I still feel that way. But the marketing schemes of Apple to get us hyped up over their new models lost it's edge on me. My last three iPhones ran a jailbroken iOS and while I absolutely loved it, going to a new iPhone on a stock iOS was was ultimately made me switch.

The rep at the AT&T store told me that he could set me up with an appointment to talk about the phone and OS with another person another day but ultimately I realized I too wasn't going to know how I liked the phone without trying it out and seeing if I liked having it in my day to day life. It's been three weeks and I love my new phone more and more.

I think the funniest part of it all, relative to people hating on the S5, is that I made a post on reddit in the jailbreak sub-reddit about how I had decided enough was enough with Apple. More than anything I didn't get a bunch of crap about ditching Apple, but more about how poor of a choice the S5 was and how I'd instantly regret it because of its inferior quality. And how there were a handful of other Android flagships that put the S5 to shame. Even on an Apple based fanboy forum, they hated on me more for my phone choice rather than the choice to try Android in general.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad