10-25-2014 04:26 PM
48 12
tools
    It seems like trend on pretty much every IT, android related sites to comment negatively on S5. Why is that? Maybe TW or plastic design. But I think it's like cool thing to do for a lot of them who didn't even own, use it.

For me, S5 has been great with screen, camera, speed, battery life, etc. Water resistance is added plus too. I personally don't get why there are so many threads on bad battery drains. Mine just stays strong every day. I didn't do anything special other than keeping location off when not using GPS, disabling some carrier and samsung bloats. On light to moderate use, it easily goes two days before needing to recharge.

Likewise, I think complaints on lag is blown out of proportion. I only reduced animation scales to 0.5x and it's very smooth and response most of time. Of course turning off S-voice, My magazine, Air view probably helped I guess though.

Anyway I feel like this phone is being hated unfairly just because it's samsung. It's working great for me and it doesn't make me envy others like G3, M8 at all.
    tartrate likes this.
    10-13-2014 10:12 AM
    I think Samsung it not doing anything new. They are just using the key properties used in other devices and combining them in their devices. They aren't also changing the look of the device much, all the galaxy series have pretty much same design.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    10-13-2014 10:20 AM
    Because its became cool to make fun of Samsung for inferior design and tacky software. They are picked on due to their King Of Android status which annoys fans of other Android skins.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-13-2014 10:21 AM
    I think Samsung it not doing anything new. They are just using the key properties used in other devices and combining them in their devices. They aren't also changing the look of the device much, all the galaxy series have pretty much same design.
    Well, Apple is not that different in on those points. There are nothing new or ground breaking in every iteration of iPhone and their design remained pretty much the same. But they seem to have no problem getting away with that.
    OceanView likes this.
    10-13-2014 11:31 AM
    There are trolls in every facet of life.

If they don't have it, they don't like it and it is junk.

Pure hogwash and a waste of bandwidth..
    10-13-2014 12:05 PM
    I've noticed the same thing, even reviewers seem to be biased and almost hesitant or apologetic when they actually finish the review and admit the phone is a great phone. They always have to give a rebuttal and give some random praise to HTC, LG or Apple. It's confusing because they say it's just a step up from the s4 but rave over the just a step up iPhone 6 over the iPhone 5s. I like other phones but the s5 just seemed perfect and the highly criticized styling looks great to me. It's unique and I buy cases that make sure it still shows the unique look of the s5. Finally this hate for plastic phones is lame, a premium phone doesn't have to be, heavy, scratch prone, cold slippery metal! That argument you hear a lot and it's really just preference not a must. I like the back finish and the shiny rim of the s5, so those reviewers and bloggers just clearly show their bias over and over. You can like another product better without constantly trying to tear down the product your reviewing just to keep reassuring yourself.

Posted via Android Central App

Posted from my Monster Galaxy Note 10.1 via Android Central App
    Jdroids, tartrate and debdroid1a like this.
    10-13-2014 12:11 PM
    Guys Shall I buy s5 or note 3 or lg g3?
    10-13-2014 12:14 PM
    The S5, like any phone, is not perfect and deserves some critisism. I find TW lag to be a problem, and although I like plastic and the soft-touch back the ribbed plastic chrome is tacky. While I hope they don't go all metal like so many others, I do hope they continue to fix what's wrong. TouchWiz is the worst software of any flagship phone IMO. I've covered most of the reasons in other threads so I won't rehash them here, but the bottom line is they can and should do better.
    kkapoorr likes this.
    10-13-2014 12:25 PM
    In part it is because Samsung is King of the hill Android. Also many of the Badgers are Apple users..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-13-2014 12:45 PM
    Yup! These are my reasons as well for going with the G3 this year over the S5. I still love Sammy but I just needed 'change' this year. I'll come back to them if LG messes up the G4, lol!

In part it is because Samsung is King of the hill Android. Also many of the Badgers are Apple users..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So damn true!
    10-13-2014 02:45 PM
    Uh, it has a plastic case.
    ..... who cares? it resides in a military grade bullet proof case now anyway, I can't see any part of the case. Only the display.

My S5 just performs and performs and on and on and on.... it does not do anything w/o me pressing something to cause it to happen.

Lag is a total perception of the individual.
    I press an app icon and it loads up and is ready to go.
    Does it take 0.125 seconds or does it take 6.125 seconds?

I simply don't care, press the icon for BBC and you have a long wait until it gets all of those preview screens loaded.
    but wow! once it is loaded, it displays everything "right now" and I can slide sideways and read the next story w/o waiting for anything to load up.

To me, that is just totally impressive. The S5 loads up the whole entire news app in one fell swoop and you can turn off the DATA if you want, it is all there. Take a train ride thru the tunnel, you just keep reading your news stories.

Perceptions and Opinions of Other Idiots that Review Things: are just that. Individual opinions and preferences that have no effect at all on how much value I get out of my S5.

My wife has an LG phone with a slide sideways keyboard. She never slides it open, but today, she was watching me use my phone to look at a Wx Radar Map and said "that really has a bright screen, so easy to see".

I then opened up Fox News and showed her that the Fox News app will allow me to resize the font large so our 71 year old eyeballs can read the news. Wow! she is impressed. I think I feel my wallet getting empty
    10-13-2014 03:08 PM
    Trolls will be trolls
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-13-2014 03:14 PM
    As has been stated...opinions & perceptions. First off...no phone or no anything for that matter is perfect, so is the S5 perfect...no. But it's really good in my opinion. I have never had any issues with battery life (I got my phone the day they launched with AT&T), screen looks great, doesn't seem to lag. I really don't get the whole lag issue. I mean if I tap an app to open and it takes .5 second to load or 2 seconds I'm good with that. It's a freaking phone! Does it really have to load everything instantaneously? I have been very pleased with my S5...could Samsung improve on some things, of course and hopefully they will. I have basically spent the last 6 months learning the Android system and things I can do to customize my phone, admittedly, most are way over my head. Again, it's just a phone...I take pics with it, pay some bills, listen to some pod casts and play a few games.
    Jdroids, Gray Area and debdroid1a like this.
    10-13-2014 03:25 PM
    Other phones are catching up to Samsungs lead. Crowding the nitche that Galaxy carved. Challenging Samsung to set a new standard in a big way soon.
    10-13-2014 08:58 PM
    If you prefer amoled screens I wouldn't recommend the G3. I had one briefly and, to me, the screen looked very washed out. Between the N3 and S5 is just what size you fell comfortable with..
    10-13-2014 09:30 PM
    Because as the proverb says the higher you climb the tree, the stronger the wind blows. Samsung has undoubtly become the king of androids. And it is no wonder that some brands are always trying to overlook the weakness and underlook the greatness of this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-13-2014 10:45 PM
    I definitely agree
    The S5 is a good phone, and it bothers me when tech websites say like last year's (or earlier) flagships are better

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-13-2014 11:41 PM
    S5
    10-14-2014 07:55 AM
    I don't know why the S5 is getting a lot of hate, but I am so grateful to have gone with the S5! It's such a great phone and it lasts me a lot longer than my iPhone ever did. Plus, I have an extra battery which I use in case my phone runs out of juice while I'm out, not to mention that I could expand my memory, something I could never do on my iPhone. I personally love the look and feel of the phone. I didn't like the aluminum of the iPhone 5 simply because it scratches so easily! (the body of the phone, I mean). At least with the plastic, I wouldn't have to worry about any of that. Besides, it feels nicer on the hands. I think some people are just way too picky when it comes to phones. No one's forcing anyone to buy a certain type of phone, so why bash on the S5 if they don't like it? Makes no sense to me.
    debdroid1a, Gray Area and kenorian like this.
    10-15-2014 05:39 PM
    I've seen multiple articles reviewing Android OS updates claiming "Samsung users can't wait to get the next upgrade because they hope it will fix all of the problems they are having." All what problems?

They seem like they must be written by Apple devotees, and the wording is so similar between articles it looks like its cut and paste.

I've had very few problems. The only one I can think of was stumbling in Bluetooth audio playback and it appears to be fixed now.
    10-17-2014 12:39 PM
    This is all a perfect example of why Apple and its rabbid fan base get bashed on relentlessly by Samsung's rabbid fan base. Android is the underdog within the media realm as far as I'm concerned.
    10-17-2014 01:17 PM
    Galaxy s5 is a good phone. I don't know why most people hate it

Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 😎
    debdroid1a and kenorian like this.
    10-17-2014 01:20 PM
    I think folks need to realize that the less than 1 percent of people who read forums like this just use a phone because they like it, or because their friends like it. I'll be forever tempted to check out the latest and greatest. But... at some point, you just enjoy and appreciate what you have.

I'm not rich, but I could use disposable income to always have whatever is hot. Thing is - I'd never be satisfied 'cause there will always be something newer. There is a certain satisfaction in having a phone tweaked as you like it and just use it!
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-17-2014 06:06 PM
    I didn't do anything special other than keeping location off when not using GPS, disabling some carrier and samsung bloats.

I only reduced animation scales to 0.5x and it's very smooth and response most of time. Of course turning off S-voice, My magazine, Air view probably helped I guess though.
    I expect and demand better from Samsung. I would accept things like the above from Huawei, or ZTE. But not Samsung, because they can do better. Touchwiz may not be universally loved, but it's one hell of an OS that has something for everyone. It's worth getting perfect IMO.

Having said that, the Note 3 and S5 Active are both phones that I keep up to date and use quite often. I just want some of these minor issues fixed by the largest smartphone maker on the planet, with the largest software group.
    Jaycemiskel likes this.
    10-17-2014 06:20 PM
    Although I've only had my phone for three weeks, I haven't really encountered much that I don't like about the phone. If I have one gripe, it's the back cover. I like the look and texture in white, but I don't like the fact that it creaks (didn't upon purchase but now it does). Is it a big enough gripe that I loathe the switch from my iPhone 5? Not at all.

For the first week or two, it was hit or miss. I wasn't so sure about my switch but there were indeed lots Of things I liked about it and Android over Apple. But now that I've had the chance to try apps for various different tasks and settle on those that make me s "I like this, I don't mind interacting with it in my day to day life", I am happy I purchased the S5. I wasn't really interested in any other Android flagships other than the Alpha but decided on the S5 instead. I'm honestly very happy that I did.
    debdroid1a and Gray Area like this.
    10-17-2014 09:00 PM
48 12