I tried a friends sim card in my Verizon S5 - It works for calls and text and data - HOWEVER. (yes at&t imputed there APN info)
    1. Several error messages from Verizon apps that i am not able to disable in application manager
    2. Mobil hot spot does not work (deal-breaker any suggestions???)
    3. Anytime I need to do a factory reset, I get all the Verizon stuff and settings back (ew)
    4. BIG QUESTION - Can I make it a TRUE at&T phone by rooting it or installing a AT&T image???????
    Thank You
    10-15-2014 12:41 PM
    Hello Jims,

Unfortunately, Verizon's ROM will differ from AT&T's ROM because their hardware is different. Even if your Verizon S5 supports AT&T's network, the internals are different and a simple root-and-load-ATT-ROM would probably result in failure. However, you can try to find a 'clean' ROM specifically for your device (same model, same hardware). You can try Cyanogenmod's if available or one from the community out there, I'm sure someone has come up with a clean ROM for a Verizon S5.
    10-15-2014 12:48 PM
    Hello Mr. Ambassador, Thank you for your response and words of wisdom! Would my second best option be:
    1. Use towelroot so I can shut off (disable) the Verizon apps that I am not able to disable in the application manager? (this would eliminate the error messages I keep getting from Verizon apps such as Visual voice mail)
    2. Use a third party app from the play store to be able to get a mobile hot spot working on my phone (assuming of course that these apps actually work)
    3. If and when I ever did need to factory reset for any reason I guess I would just have to spend a couple of hours doing it over (sigh) until a complete solution offers itself. (phone my be obsolete by then ohhh noooo)
    10-15-2014 01:13 PM
    Yup, that sounds about right. Just make sure you do some research first as some carrier apps are actually essential for your phone. Disabling them can cause more issues. I don't think you'll have that problem if you're not gonna be using that on Verizon, but still, better safe than sorry, right?
    10-15-2014 02:55 PM