Greetings, My wife and I both have Galaxy S5 phones. Mine is ATT and her's is by Verizon. Both were purchased as unlocked phones, both have performed very well.
    Up until about a month ago both of us had really long life (2+days on light usage full 24hrs on normal usage like streaming and games and videos plus talking and texting) on our batteries. Now my wife's phone is sucking down juice like there is no tomorrow. As a test I switched out batteries and there was no change.
    Today I lined them up side by side to see what we both had running. I get that both came with bloatware that "cant" be removed. Anyway, I see that her android system is at 37% and mine is at 17. Her display at 27% and mine at 11. Her email stays on and runs at 20%. Now keep in mind I still have other stuff running that she does not use and still she gets no where near the battery life I get. I can understand that some background stuff could be killing her, but why all of a sudden. Was there an update that is messing things up?
    10-15-2014 09:47 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! For both phones, charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-central.html
    10-16-2014 12:42 AM
    Situations like these I always get an extended battery or extra. These batteries are only meant to last but sometime. I know you will sacrifice somethings with an extended battery but it may be helpful. Amazon has good deals. Something you may want to look into.

Posted via Verizon Galaxy S5😎
    10-16-2014 02:11 PM
    On her phone, goto the App Drawer and drag 'n drop into the Trash can/Uninstall/Turn Off all of the apps that she does not use.

Absolutely turn OFF all of the Amazon apps. Those apps are a major battery hog.

turn off S Health (runs continuously and not needed "for me anyway" )

Strip her phone down to the bare minimum apps that she uses. You can turn them back on later, if needed.

Go the Widgets and find the one called Active Applications (Galaxy tool, comes with phone) and put that on the Home Screen. It is a light green color and shows the number of apps in use.

Go to the Developers Options, and select Close Apps when User leaves it. This will terminate any app she is not using in about 5 seconds or so. ( have it where I can watch it, great tool )

Now, if the above has not let you find thetrouble, you can try out MacroDroid. Make two macros

1st macro:
    Trigger: Screen Status OFF
    Action: Disable the WiFi and Data ( you have to buy it to do both in one macro )

2nd macro:
    Trigger: Screen Status Unlocked
    action: Turn on WiFi and Data

If you just use the free version, this will take 4 macros. That is what I did when I first tried it and it works like a charm.
    10-16-2014 06:34 PM
    wow, all sounds like great stuff. I will post back as suggested!
    10-16-2014 09:26 PM
    ok Thank you in advance for all the help. I've learned a lot just poking around on this stuff. So the first set of shots is the Verizon Galaxy. The second is the AT&T. The AT&T still runs just fine but the Verizon is burning battery like no tomorrow. Why has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-17-13-49-51.jpgWhy has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-17-13-50-10.jpgWhy has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-17-13-50-26.jpgWhy has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-17-13-50-35.jpg

Why has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-18-19-56-04.jpgWhy has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-18-19-56-12.jpgWhy has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-18-19-56-28.jpgWhy has my battery life begun to diminish? -screenshot_2014-10-18-19-58-42.jpg
    10-18-2014 07:24 PM
    Why does your wife's Verizon S5 have the unknown SIM icon (the SIM with the question mark) in the notification bar? I wonder if that could be contributing to the issue. Or is that typical for unlocked phones that you bring to Verizon and just plug a SIM into?

The other thing is that her Email app seems to be using a lot of battery. Does she use it all the time? I wonder if it's syncing abnormally frequently, although then I'd expect to see more Awake time in the graph.
    10-18-2014 08:23 PM
    I've noted that the Cyber Knights RPG game is using a lot of battery, and I also noted that the WiFi is ON all the time.

Not familiar with Cyber Knights RPG, is that something where the user interacts with other users out there in "internet land" ?

If so, that will eat up a lot of battery fast because the screen is staying awake, the WiFi is constantly in use, and the RPG app is polling like there is no tomorrow left in the world. RPG games take a lot of power to make them go and are bandwidth hungry.

Try having her not use it at all until you get this problem/issue/situation resolved.

Also, I would have you turn the DATA and the WiFi OFF manually while the phone is not being used. Like when ya'll are asleep, tending to work, plowing the garden, etc.... Watch and see how the battery drain reacts when the internet is turned OFF.

If you note that the drain is vastly improved while the internet is off, then you have the problem half licked. It is something polling the internet a lot.

You just have to figure out which app is doing that, and that means turning them all off until the phone is well behaved, and then turning them back ON one at a time.

As I mentioned earlier, MacroDroid is a great app that can automate turning the internet off when the phone is not being used. That will save the battery for the power hungry RPG apps when she wants to use them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another area: have you turned OFF all of the animations, motion gestures, waves, rotation, fancy wallpapers? Make the wallpaper totally black as that will reduce the current quite a bit.

Animated wallpapers are power hungry as they use a lot of processor time to make all that pretty stuff move.
    grjones63 likes this.
    10-18-2014 08:42 PM
    FYI, Cyber Knights is actually on the OP's phone, which is not the one having the problem. His wife's is the Verizon one, whose screenshots are shown first in that post.
    10-18-2014 09:05 PM
    As to the Verizon phone, thats Verizons way of being unhappy about you not using their service. So yes it might be typical. We cant seem to turn the email app off. I've gone into the settings, turned it off and had no change.
    10-19-2014 06:19 PM
    The rpg is on the ATT phone which isnt having any problems. In fact you can see her screen time is 55 min and mine is like 3+hrs and yet theyre really close in battery life. Thats the wacky thing.Neither one of us are pros at this, so there's been little if any changes to her phone if any. The biggest thing she has gotten excited about is the S Voice. She used to get almost 72 hrs on regular power saving mode. Now all of a sudden she get squat. No animated wall papers, nothing fancy, the only thing on is the screen rotation. When we are asleep our phones go off.
    10-19-2014 06:26 PM
    I guess my big question is why here Android system is more than double the percent usage than mine. Ive tried to set the phones side by side and have the same apps running (except the bloat ware cant do anything about that?) and check results that way and her android system is sucking way more than mine. Is there a way to see the inner workings as to whats doing that?

And thanks again for all the suggestions.
    10-19-2014 06:29 PM
    You could try an app like GSam Battery Monitor, which can give you a more detailed breakdown of the Android System processes, but even then, it may be difficult to decipher it.

If you haven't already done so, try wiping the system cache partition as well: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support
    10-19-2014 07:46 PM