How big a deal is wifi issue?

diver110

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I noticed there was a lengthy thread on problems connecting to wifi. I am thinking about switching from an Iphone, but don't want to switch to something glitchy. I am mindful of the fact that problems tend to get overemphasized on forums, as people without problems participate less. So how big andeal is this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're correct in your thinking--if this were a widespread problem, you'd probably read about it more in actual tech website articles, rather than in the forums.

Most stores have a 2 week return policy if you don't like the device, so you could always get the phone and use it intensively for the first couple of weeks to see if any of those issues arise. If not, then you're unlikely to be one of the people with the issue.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
While I've only had my S5 for just shy of four weeks, I personally have not experienced this issue on my device. It's significantly stronger/more consistent than my iPhone 5 was for sure. I pick up at least twice the available networks on it and the range seems much better as well.

Kudos for checking forums and researching issues with the phone prior to purchasing one. I did the exact same before I pulled the trigger

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine since April and I don't use wifi much but when I have I've never had an issue. I've also used the hotspot feature which I've used several times and it worked great, fast speeds.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I personally have not experienced this issue on my device.

Kudos for checking forums and researching issues with the phone prior to purchasing one. I did the exact same before I just bought the wife a Galaxy S4 Mini yesterday....

My S5 is "ancient" as I have had it since release day 4/11 and never had those problems. ALMOST never..... until 3 days ago.

My home web provider is AT&T on a phone line no less, via DSL. Originally I used a rather dinky P.O. S. DSL modem and my CISCO WiFi router. My S5 would connect to the CISCO's WiFi in about 2 seconds after unlocking the phone. (note my signature, internet is turned off when phone is sleeping).

Okay, called AT&T tech support and they came out to the house and replaced the POS modem with a new toy called a U-Verse device. That fixed my loss of internet problems immediately for the desktop PC, but it created a brand new problem for WiFi and the S5.

Currently I have no way of getting into the UVerse modem and managing how it takes care of WiFi..... it is preprogrammed to "Automatically link up to any kind of security".... Well, that isn't working so well with my S5.....

To fix the problem, I have resorted to NOT turning off WiFi on the S5, I just leave it ON all the time and that resolved "the issue".

And yep!!! forums are the perfect place to hear about perceived bad designs with any manufacturer's hardware. Those who never had a problem never find a forum and start yelling how good their XYZ device is. You only hear from those who for some reason, real or imagined, have a problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Currently I have no way of getting into the UVerse modem and managing how it takes care of WiFi

That stinks! You mean you can't log in using an IP address? I can do that with my Arris combo modem/router that I use with Comcast.

giorgos_gs

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I noticed there was a lengthy thread on problems connecting to wifi. I am thinking about switching from an Iphone, but don't want to switch to something glitchy. I am mindful of the fact that problems tend to get overemphasized on forums, as people without problems participate less. So how big andeal is this?

I had the iphone 5 and since the iOS 8 update everything is glitchy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20