Wifi - bluetooth conflict

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Starting yesterday I've had wifi issues with it cutting out, today it just wouldn't connect. I read on a different thread that the bluetooth and wifi can interfere with each other. I've been using both since March with no problems. I work from home and need the bluetooth (Plantronics Marque 2), I use it all day, but the wifi won't work if the bluetooth is on, turn the bluetooth off and the wifi is back to normal. Btw, the bluetooth works fine either way, only the wifi seems to be effected. I have cleared the phone cache but have not done a full reset, I'm really hoping to avoid that. Any answers or suggestions are welcome.

I don't know if it matters but I'm on AT&T.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is your router dual band--i.e, can it broadcast on the 5 GHz band, instead of 2.4 GHz? If so, try to use that band.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. No it's an older 2.4 ghz Linksys. I've been debating on upgrading but haven't...yet.

What I don't understand is that they where both working just fine since March until yesterday.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try changing the wi-fi channel that the router is using. You'll have to log in to the router's settings using the browser.

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Try changing the wi-fi channel that the router is using. You'll have to log in to the router's settings using the browser.

Ok, I've finally found a channel that seems to be working. We'll see over the next day or so. Thanks for the help!

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, nothing worked so I ended up doing a full reset. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

synergywizard

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I started with issues right after I had a training session on my S5 at the Telus Mobility Centre yesterday. I upgraded from Samsung tools to Galaxy tools and upgraded the S Health app. Now same issue won't lock on my home wi-fi at all authentication error. Grr and it's not the router my Kindle and Dlan bluray are both locked on as normal. Grrr.

J Wallace

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
My HTC One 8 drmatically looses wifi speed (>80%) when bluetooth is switched on, when off it works great. is this something to do with broadcast frequency and shared antenna....any thoughts ?

Blaine Masson

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Samsung S5 Sport -- I have the same issue. WiFi will not authenticate to SSID at home/work/anywhere if the Bluetooth is turned on. In order to connect to the WiFi, I have to disconnect the Bluetooth, reboot phone (sometimes), and then attempt to connect to the WiFi. As long as the Bluetooth stays off, the WiFi connection is great. Turn on the Bluetooth and within a few minutes, the WiFi disconnects and will not reconnect. Factory reset is a temporary fix, as the issue returned about a week later if not sooner. I even had sprint replace my phone once, and the second phone did the same thing. My wife has the same phone and has no issues. I cant imagine that one of my third party apps could be causing this issue. I uninstalled the one app that has functional control of WiFi/Bluetooth, which was Elixir 2/Elixir Widget, and it did not resolve the issue. This is very frustrating. I use my phone for work as well which causes issues when I reset to factory default. I wonder if Bob31464's issue returned like my did.
:mad:

Bob31464

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Samsung S5 Sport -- I have the same issue. WiFi will not authenticate to SSID at home/work/anywhere if the Bluetooth is turned on. In order to connect to the WiFi, I have to disconnect the Bluetooth, reboot phone (sometimes), and then attempt to connect to the WiFi. As long as the Bluetooth stays off, the WiFi connection is great. Turn on the Bluetooth and within a few minutes, the WiFi disconnects and will not reconnect. Factory reset is a temporary fix, as the issue returned about a week later if not sooner. I even had sprint replace my phone once, and the second phone did the same thing. My wife has the same phone and has no issues. I cant imagine that one of my third party apps could be causing this issue. I uninstalled the one app that has functional control of WiFi/Bluetooth, which was Elixir 2/Elixir Widget, and it did not resolve the issue. This is very frustrating. I use my phone for work as well which causes issues when I reset to factory default. I wonder if Bob31464's issue returned like my did.
:mad:

Hi Blaine, no, since I did the factory reset it has never been a problem again. Pain in the rear to download and set the phone up again but well worth it. I hope you get it straightened out. Good luck.

flaotq

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. Just ran into the same problem. Played with the router settings. Fixed this issue by changing authentication from WPA to WPA2. Now I can use Bluetooth and wifi simultaneously without a hitch. My phone is a Note 3.

biz888

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It worked using your advice. I changed the channel from 44 to Channel 11 then Changed from WPA2 to WPA then, I clicked apply. When it refresh, it went back to WPA2 bu the Channel remained at 11. But all of a sudden I can use my bluetooth and wireless at the same time. Thank you very much for your help :--))