Blurry fast moving pictures with the Samsung S5

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Admittedly I don't take a lot of pics of moving subjects. Most of them are still

The only ones I have are of ducks wadling lol

posted from my galaxy tab pro 10.1

Attachments

• 20140919_133927.jpg
    20140919_133927.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140829_133206.jpg
    20140829_133206.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140829_133103.jpg
    20140829_133103.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140829_132650.jpg
    20140829_132650.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20140720_144228.jpg
    20140720_144228.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140720_132329.jpg
    20140720_132329.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 32

Pauldw501

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I dunno what's happened but went to doggy park and came back with as good as 100% usable pictures!?!?

S5 seems to possibly of reset itself maybe as def getting a lot sharper pictures now.

Not complaining mind ... ☺

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I dunno what's happened but went to doggy park and came back with as good as 100% usable pictures!?!?

S5 seems to possibly of reset itself maybe as def getting a lot sharper pictures now.

Not complaining mind ... ☺

I think it just takes a while to get used to the camera. The iphone camera is easier to use, the samsung cameras take a but more work but the end results are worth it in the end. I've been using galaxy phones for 2.5 years now so using the camera is easy for me now (although my photography skills still need work😆).

posted from my galaxy tab pro 10.1

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I have seen, the S5 struggles horribly with moving images.
My M7 was amazing at capturing such pics. The S5 is woefully sluggish.
Shame.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pauldw501

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah maybe just getting used to the camera but yesterday pretty much just used the 'auto' setting and got heaps of decent pictures ☺

sdardoin

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
You're missing the point, Paul, a single object in motion won't make the entire photograph blurry. I took this pic with the "Shot & More" mode...notice how the grass and the church aren't blurred even though the truck is clearly in motion.
View attachment 143894

...and I hate to ask the obvious, but.....did you take all the plastic off the phone? Even the tiny little square over the camera lens?

dumb question, but I have noticed the plastic around the camera lens, not over it, but around it.... should that come off?

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah maybe just getting used to the camera but yesterday pretty much just used the 'auto' setting and got heaps of decent pictures ☺

Unfortunately one of the factors in play is that you are coming from an iPhone. Apple generally acknowledged an having the best combination of camera hardware and software on the phone market today. No Android phone currently matches them. Samsung is one of the better Android camera setups but does not match Apple overall. Just read the camera threads on the threads for other phones. The Droid Turbo [Verizon's new flagship phone] forum has several threads about the quality of the camera.

Individuals get good pictures on the S5 but it takes a degree of individual skill and there is a learning curve. Hope it works out well for you.

Pauldw501

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I spose listening to the sales girl about how the S5 blows the iPhone away with picture quality due to its 16mp camera wasn't my best move, but at the same time I was keen to give the android a shot!

Def getting used to it now tho and relatively happy worth camera results now ☺

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I spose listening to the sales girl about how the S5 blows the iPhone away with picture quality due to its 16mp camera wasn't my best move, but at the same time I was keen to give the android a shot!

Def getting used to it now tho and relatively happy worth camera results now ☺

To be honest there is no best... Some say iPhone is best while others say Android is better..

Easy is the iPhone. Android has a learning curve for those who don't have a lot of experience in photography. Both camera are very capable picture takers and the more photography experience the better the outcome..

Since I am able to set variables such as image quality, ISO, white balance, metering modes, selective focus, filters, exposure value, as well as those mentioned for the iPhone with Android I get far better results with it than with the iPhone which has no settings other than flash, HDR, selftimer, or filters..and that is the stock camera app. Other camera apps have other options in addition to the stock ones stated..

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
dumb question, but I have noticed the plastic around the camera lens, not over it, but around it.... should that come off?

Mine was actually setup at the Verizon store while I watched. The guy told me lots of folks miss the little square covering the lens, but I do not remember him mentioning anything about a piece around the lens.

sdardoin

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine was actually setup at the Verizon store while I watched. The guy told me lots of folks miss the little square covering the lens, but I do not remember him mentioning anything about a piece around the lens.

The plastic on mine is within the square area, but there is a small cut out in the center for the actual round lens, kind of strange. I suppose if its not hurting anything I should leave it.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The plastic on mine is within the square area, but there is a small cut out in the center for the actual round lens, kind of strange. I suppose if its not hurting anything I should leave it.

It will eventually begin collecting dust and creating faint halos in the image, there is really no reason to keep it on, the S5 has fairly resilient glass protecting the lense.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

GMantel

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Clearly no one here is a real photographer. I didn't scroll through ALL the responses, mind you, but no one on the first page even suggested what I'm about to tell you: Speed up your ISO settings. That's right. In the old days of film, you would buy ISO 400 or 800 speed film for your action photos, and change the ISO setting on the camera. works the same way here. Go to your Setting > ISO and take it off AUTO and set to 400 and see how that works. Also good for low light conditions. Cheers!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
SETTINGS > ISO change from "AUTO" to 400. Also works well for low light conditions.

Thanks for the tip, it seems that the only mode that allows me to change the iso is beauty face. The rest modes don't give me the option to change iso (grayed out)

Posted via the Android Central App on my Galaxy S5

khanhtrinh

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
What are your steps in taking stationary/action photos?

Sometimes my camera doesn't auto focus at all. It all blurs out, then I have to tap the screen to focus and everything is clear. However, much of the time after tapping to focus, my hand shakes a little bit, and I feel the need to tap it again to refocus. Is this necessary?

And exactly how to take action photos (without using tap to focus and shoot or sport mode or burst mode). Do you keep your phone steady, tap the moving object and tap the shoot button as fast as possible? Or do you move the phone along with the moving object to make the phone auto focus it and shoot?
I'm having a hard time taking action pictures :'(

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I love my gs5, but I'm not a fan of the camera either.... in sunny areas that aren't moving it's great, any other setting and my galaxy s3 kills it... it's unfortunate because this is a great phone, and even after a year with the phone I still love it..

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol