Why can't I turn my magazine off?

Nick Kennedy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
why cant I turn my magazine off?

Ive searched the forums and everybody says to turn off the app you got to application manager/all then hit the turn off button. Well, my turn off button is greyed out. I've cleared cache, cleared data, cleared defaults. I've turned off flipboard and google newstand. Help me!! This piece of crap app is still running and draining my battery.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: why cant I turn my magazine off?

I don't think you can turn it off without rooting as it's a (annoying) part of TouchWiz. And unless you set it up to update regularly and open it on a daily basis, it might be running but it's not draining your battery any more than TouchWiz is.

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Go to home screen settings and turn it off...
You can do that by holding menu key Wich is left of home button and it will take you home screen setting and tap it and un check my magazine

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can do that by holding menu key Wich is left of home button and it will take you home screen setting and tap it and un check my magazine

Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken that doesn't keep the app from running in the background, ironically... And I'm not even sure you can do that on an S5. You can on the Note 4, but I can't on my Tab S, and since the tablet is a 'sandwich' version between the S5 and Note 4, I'm assuming the S5 cannot just turn My Magazine 'off' like that. But I might be wrong.

steve Sharra

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
It takes my magazine from swipe left, so you can scroll through homepage freely
Note 4 took a lot of features from s5
I have the s5...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I wonder why the Tab S didn't borrow that option. I also don't use My Magazine, it would have been nice to be able to remove it from the Home Page.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Up until 4.4.4 appeared on my S5, I had MyMagazine "Turned OFF"

Now, with 4.4.4 it is greyed out as mentioned and aggravates me no end. I have no use for that POS app.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Ive searched the forums and everybody says to turn off the app you got to application manager/all then hit the turn off button. Well, my turn off button is greyed out. I've cleared cache, cleared data, cleared defaults. I've turned off flipboard and google newstand. Help me!! This piece of crap app is still running and draining my battery.

To turn off my magazine. Hold the menu button until the you see Home screen setting. Click on that, once you have done that unchecknthe box where it says my magazine.

Posted via Verizon Galaxy S5😎

icronic

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You can do that by holding menu key Which is left of home button and it will take you home screen setting and tap it and un check my magazine

FWIW: On my variant (SM-G900T1), The MENU key described above is now a dedicated RECENT APPS key. On stock rom you get to Home Screen Settings by tapping & holding anywhere on the screen (similar to when you want to drag an icon elsewhere!) Softkeys will appear for Wallpapers, Widgets and Home Screen Settings. Instructions are the same after this point.

Now if I can only get my home screen carousel to spin completely round and round!

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but if I'm not mistaken that doesn't keep the app from running in the background, ironically... And I'm not even sure you can do that on an S5. You can on the Note 4, but I can't on my Tab S, and since the tablet is a 'sandwich' version between the S5 and Note 4, I'm assuming the S5 cannot just turn My Magazine 'off' like that. But I might be wrong.

Yes, you make it go away with the said method on the S5. That was one of the first things I did when I got this phone. I also think Nova Launcher gets rid of it. Just to test, I set Touch Wiz as the default launcher, enabled the MyMagazine setting and then switched back to Nova and the MyMagazine was gone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, MyMagazine is part of TouchWiz. If you use a different launcher, it's no longer in your Homescreen but can still be accessed through the App Drawer.

GS5TR

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

If you allready cleared my magazine off your home screen, you can also putt if off at Active Programas at Applicationfiles... just click on it? Clear cache, remove memory and set it off.. just that simple.

slinky

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I have a Galaxy Note 3. I have seen the same click on an empty area and hold instructions for the home screen settings. I don't see any home screen settings doing this or holding any button. I too have the same issue with My Magazine being unable to be turned off so I can (a) not have it pop up with a swipe up and (b) not have it pull data that I potentially don't want. I'll use a standalone app if I wish. Speaking of which, Flipboard is the same problem, can't disable it.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

If you are using TouchWiz long press the home screen and pick home screen settings. Uncheck My Magazine then close.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1