Should I Dump the Nokia Icon for a Galaxy S5?

msdugn

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Should I dump the Icon for a Galaxy S5?

Nokia Icon
After waiting for so long for my Icon to get 8.1 on Verizon, I feel like I was sold a bill of goods that was never going to happen: NFC, screen sharing, Cortana - and others. I bought the Icon the day it was released - and even paid top dollar to swap mid-contract. And although I can run the Developer Preview, it's still not the sanctioned Verizon build - so it takes 0.5-3 seconds to turn on the screen, NFC for purchases is non-functional and I can't project a screen and there are other little half-baked or non-functional features.

So I tried out the competition for 15 days to check things out.

Galaxy S5
I borrowed a Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile for a few day to see what I was missing - and boy was it a lot. Here's a breakdown and comparison.

PROs (Galaxy S5 is better than Windows Phone/Icon)
  1. Google Voice is much better than Cortana for real-world queries. Sure, Google doesn't sing a song or tell a joke, but it returns relevant results much more often than Cortana's web page results when she's stumped - which is often.
  2. Much Better Search Results - whether from a web query or a voice search, the location-aware results include nearby restaurants, a map, driving directions ready to start with another tap and all previous searches for quick access - far better than Cortana.
  3. Suggested Words are Better Than Word Flow - While WP Word Flow is unbeatable for texting and emails, Google’s suggestions are far more useful when repeatedly typing in other items such as email addresses and passwords. For example, I find myself typing my Microsoft ID 30-40 times a month – sometimes more – to authorize for account access. On the Droid, the second time I see an email prompt, it offers to auto-populate for me. Much more useful than WP.
  4. Apps, Apps, Apps – Forget the tired argument for more apps, it’s the QUALITY of the apps that matters. After using a Droid, you realize every mainstream app on Windows Phone is a watered-down, hollow shell of an app compared to its Droid/iOS equivalent. For example, Waze on Droid has 57 features, but on WP, only 12. USAA Bank on Droid has 105 features, on WP 38. Run the list: Facebook, MyFitnessPal, LinkedIn, FlipBoard - don’t even get me started on Google Maps vs. HERE Drive+, HERE Transit or HERE Maps. There’s just no comparison. The apps on Droid are full-featured. WP versions aren't.
  5. Battery Life – Even navigating around town, the Galaxy S5 doesn’t get hot (inefficient use of battery) or run down the battery like the Icon with WP 8.1 without the matching Nokia/Verizon drivers. The S5 ran for 1.5 days on a charge with moderate to heavy use. The Icon had to be charged twice during the day just to do the same tasks.
  6. Missing WP Features Aren’t Missing on Galaxy – NFC purchases, Google Voice (official release) vs. Cortana (Beta), Project Your Screen, BT 4.0 profile. All of these are present, working and fully functional on the Galaxy – not so on the Icon.

CONs (Galaxy S5 is worse than Windows Phone/Icon)
  1. Wireless QI Charging – It was a royal step backward to always pop open the charging cover and insert the keyed USB 3.0 plug into the Galaxy. Wow – have I been spoiled with wireless charging Nokias.
  2. Complicated – Even though I’m tech-savvy, all the options and zillions of little indicators at the top of the screen was overwhelming. Sure the Droid boasts that it's customizable. But Windows Phone is so much cleaner and easier to use without all the fuss and muss.
  3. Stellar Camera – While the 1020 holds the crown, the Icon/930 camera is pretty awesome. Galaxy is good – but not that good.

I’ve talked a Verizon rep into giving me the option to return the Icon for a like-priced phone or pay the difference for a more expensive phone as if I was still inside my 14 day return period.

I need your thoughts on whether I should take the plunge back to Android and away from WP that I hoped, trusted, prayed would grow into something better and more competitive.

Jump to the Galaxy. Or stick with the Icon. Which is it?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Should I dump the Icon for a Galaxy S5?

Nokia Icon
After waiting for so long for my Icon to get 8.1 on Verizon, I feel like I was sold a bill of goods that was never going to happen: NFC, screen sharing, Cortana - and others. I bought the Icon the day it was released - and even paid top dollar to swap mid-contract. And although I can run the Developer Preview, it's still not the sanctioned Verizon build - so it takes 0.5-3 seconds to turn on the screen, NFC for purchases is non-functional and I can't project a screen and there are other little half-baked or non-functional features.

So I tried out the competition for 15 days to check things out.

Galaxy S5
I borrowed a Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile for a few day to see what I was missing - and boy was it a lot. Here's a breakdown and comparison.

PROs (Galaxy S5 is better than Windows Phone/Icon)
  1. Google Voice is much better than Cortana for real-world queries. Sure, Google doesn't sing a song or tell a joke, but it returns relevant results much more often than Cortana's web page results when she's stumped - which is often.
  2. Much Better Search Results - whether from a web query or a voice search, the location-aware results include nearby restaurants, a map, driving directions ready to start with another tap and all previous searches for quick access - far better than Cortana.
  3. Suggested Words are Better Than Word Flow - While WP Word Flow is unbeatable for texting and emails, Google’s suggestions are far more useful when repeatedly typing in other items such as email addresses and passwords. For example, I find myself typing my Microsoft ID 30-40 times a month – sometimes more – to authorize for account access. On the Droid, the second time I see an email prompt, it offers to auto-populate for me. Much more useful than WP.
  4. Apps, Apps, Apps – Forget the tired argument for more apps, it’s the QUALITY of the apps that matters. After using a Droid, you realize every mainstream app on Windows Phone is a watered-down, hollow shell of an app compared to its Droid/iOS equivalent. For example, Waze on Droid has 57 features, but on WP, only 12. USAA Bank on Droid has 105 features, on WP 38. Run the list: Facebook, MyFitnessPal, LinkedIn, FlipBoard - don’t even get me started on Google Maps vs. HERE Drive+, HERE Transit or HERE Maps. There’s just no comparison. The apps on Droid are full-featured. WP versions aren't.
  5. Battery Life – Even navigating around town, the Galaxy S5 doesn’t get hot (inefficient use of battery) or run down the battery like the Icon with WP 8.1 without the matching Nokia/Verizon drivers. The S5 ran for 1.5 days on a charge with moderate to heavy use. The Icon had to be charged twice during the day just to do the same tasks.
  6. Missing WP Features Aren’t Missing on Galaxy – NFC purchases, Google Voice (official release) vs. Cortana (Beta), Project Your Screen, BT 4.0 profile. All of these are present, working and fully functional on the Galaxy – not so on the Icon.

CONs (Galaxy S5 is worse than Windows Phone/Icon)
  1. Wireless QI Charging – It was a royal step backward to always pop open the charging cover and insert the keyed USB 3.0 plug into the Galaxy. Wow – have I been spoiled with wireless charging Nokias.
  2. Complicated – Even though I’m tech-savvy, all the options and zillions of little indicators at the top of the screen was overwhelming. Sure the Droid boasts that it's customizable. But Windows Phone is so much cleaner and easier to use without all the fuss and muss.
  3. Stellar Camera – While the 1020 holds the crown, the Icon/930 camera is pretty awesome. Galaxy is good – but not that good.

I’ve talked a Verizon rep into giving me the option to return the Icon for a like-priced phone or pay the difference for a more expensive phone as if I was still inside my 14 day return period.

I need your thoughts on whether I should take the plunge back to Android and away from WP that I hoped, trusted, prayed would grow into something better and more competitive.

Jump to the Galaxy. Or stick with the Icon. Which is it?

Go back to Android. Not sure about the S5 though. There are a lot of phones coming out real soon like the Droid Turbo, Nexus 6 and Note 4.

I got a laptop back In February that has a touch screen and windows 8.1. I was so impressed with the laptop, I had thought of going with a WP. Now 8,1 is annoying and I am glad that it did not. For one, the software selection is very limiting. For another reason, I do not like the UI that much anymore. Not sure how many WP actually sell. I do not see people around those phones. I see them around the Android and IPhones. That should tell you something.

The other thing that is a red flag for you, is that you have had this device for a short time and you seem like you are regretting the purchase. I bet you, if they let you out of the contract, you would order a Android device without hesitation. Perhaps that is a statement worth considering. Either that, or bite the bullet and get out of the contract somehow so, you get the phone you like, You have too many months left on the contract to live with the Nokia.

AKFL3TCH3R

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The S5 is great. And Android L will hit this device on Verizon.. "SOON."
Point is, android moves at a faster pace, which is what I like. And the S5 has no problems.

Posted via Android Central App

msdugn

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Done. And DONE. And thanks for your replies.

I just dropped off my beloved Nokia Icon at the local Verizon store yesterday and got a Samsung Galaxy S5. As a longtime proponent of the WP platform (and Verizon), it was really tough to finally throw in the towel.

But as soon as I have my QI charging back later today (thank you Amazon Prime!), I'm all set. I'm loving the full-featured apps in the Android space and finding all of the things WP is trying to do are already standard features built into this Galaxy S5. I no longer have to wait with baited breath for the next little nugget, update, BSP we've all been waiting to arrive on Windows Phone. I've got a non-hobbled, full-featured smartphone on the Verizon network and I couldn't be happier.

In hindsight, I miss the awesomely intuitive WP8.1 calendar view and the easy-to-use WP8.1 integrated email. Other than that, I've living the dream now.

I finally have all the features in Waze, MyFitness Pal, USAA, Bank of America, Wells Fargo and so many other apps that WP versions simply don't come close to. The mapping and voice search are incredible. I've been trying to stump it all day (like I could easily do with Cortana) and I just can't!

Sorry Microsoft and Verizon - your combination failed me yet again. And I had so much hope for WP8.x. Back to Android for me.